Stanley Cowell Live At Keystone Korner

Tom 1960

I want to say somebody off of social media made a recommendation recently about picking up this release. I have to say this is an excellent date after listening to it both last night and today. It features the frontline of Freddie Hendrix on trumpet and Bruce Williams on alto sax. Both these players put in fine performances. Especially Hendrix who at times just plays his ass off on this release. If you're looking for a good straight-ahead jazz release and of course Stanley Cowell, how can you go wrong with this? Highly recommended.

Hendrix has quite a resume.  I first noticed him on Billy Harper dates on youtube.  He has also played in Charles Tolliver's big band and a host of other credits.  Sounds good to me when I hear him, though I've never sought him out.  Williams has been around for 25-30 years, and I see him pop up in credits from time to time, but he's never caught my ear, good or bad.  Both have a lot of academic credentials (as do so many jazz musicians these days).