dougcrates

ORNETTE COLEMAN - ROUND TRIP: ORNETTE COLEMAN ON BLUE NOTE

74 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2021 at 6:24 PM, Eric said:

Thought this might of interest to some here (claims/appears to be an ESP test pressing on eBay):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175087032766?hash=item28c40019be:g:Ra8AAOSwbM9hzN-6

That's pretty ambitious for.this record even for a test pressing. Ironically, I sold one for a lot less money on ebay a month or so ago (but this one is in much better condition). 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234216967242

Ironically, it was purchased by Mats Gustafsson (along with Albert Ayler "Bells")

Edited by david weiss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, david weiss said:

That's pretty ambitious for.this record even for a test pressing. Ironically, I sold one for a lot less money on ebay a month or so ago (but this one is in much better condition). 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234216967242

Ironically, it was purchased by Mats Gustafsson (along with Albert Ayler "Bells")

Uhhh... did you happen to make a digital copy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, david weiss said:

That's pretty ambitious for.this record even for a test pressing. Ironically, I sold one for a lot less money on ebay a month or so ago (but this one is in much better condition). 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234216967242

Ironically, it was purchased by Mats Gustafsson (along with Albert Ayler "Bells")

The most desirable test pressings of this title are the review copies with the screen-printed sleeve.

R-9058177-1474038524-7601.jpeg.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2021 at 1:31 AM, medjuck said:

Uhhh... did you happen to make a digital copy? 

Nope.

It's a test pressing of the ESP disc not the stuff that was slated for Blue Note. 

The condition wasn't that great on this one and I have a copy of the album anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2021 at 1:00 AM, mhatta said:

Blue Note Book: The 21st Century Edition (p. 277) has pictures of test pressing discs of BN4210 & BN4211 (I scanned it, but somehow I can't upload pic now).  Seems they were made in March 3 & 10, 1965. The rumor has it that a set is now in a posession of a Japanese collector, and according to him, the actual contents are:

BN4210: Children's Books, Story Teller, Play It Straight, I Don't Love You, Architecture

BN4211: The Ark, Sadness, Doughnut, Taurus, Dedictaion to Poets and Writers

And Ornette didn't join Nappy Allen's band.

20220104-130312.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how do get to hear this music? There is no reason we should not be able to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2022 at 1:33 PM, bertrand said:

So how do get to hear this music? There is no reason we should not be able to.

We all go to Mats Gustaffson's house? @david weiss has the address!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There aren't too many houses in Nickelsdorf so it is probably pretty easy to find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2022 at 1:33 PM, bertrand said:

So how do get to hear this music? There is no reason we should not be able to.

Excellent question! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to repost that it's not that I don't like Ornette's records less in the BN period (Love Call, NY is Now, are my favorites) and Cherry's more; what I meant to say is that Don's records were more interesting to me.  Maybe Cherry's BN's I favor, instead of Ornette's outfit at the time (meaning I miss Cherry with Ornette) a lot. 

 

 

Edited by Holy Ghost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2022 at 10:53 PM, Holy Ghost said:

I'd like to repost that it's not that I don't like Ornette's records less in the BN period (Love Call, NY is Now, are my favorites) and Cherry's more; what I meant to say is that Don's records were more interesting to me.  Maybe Cherry's BN's I favor, instead of Ornette's outfit at the time (meaning I miss Cherry with Ornette) a lot. 

I generally enjoy the Cherry BNs more than the Ornette BNs too.  Glad to have both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame they didn't get Cherry to play with Jackie McLean or Shorter or Rivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

It's a shame they didn't get Cherry to play with Jackie McLean or Shorter or Rivers.

Or Joe Henderson, for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Or Joe Henderson, for that matter.

Or John Gilmore on an Andrew Hill date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Or John Gilmore on an Andrew Hill date.

Yeah, I almost mentioned Hill too — but good call on mentioning Gilmore (who I hadn’t thought of).

Or Herbert Morgan on a Larry Young date (I sure wish Herbert Morgan had recorded more.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Yeah, I almost mentioned Hill too — but good call on mentioning Gilmore (who I hadn’t thought of).

Or Herbert Morgan on a Larry Young date (I sure wish Herbert Morgan had recorded more.)

Yeah, there's a thought - they could've had Cherry &/or Ornette on an organ date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An Andrew Hill organ date, with Laverne on organ!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked this up at my local record store this week. I think it is one of the most beautiful box sets I have ever seen. The photos and everything are absolutely incredible. Of course, I had almost all of this on CD, but I haven't listened to the CDs in years and I didn't have any of it on vinyl. I am enjoying the set a great deal, mainly because other than the Golden Circle albums I have never paid too much attention to Ornette's Blue Note period. 

For me, there haven't been many good jazz box sets in the last couple years. I haven't liked/been interested in any of the Mosaic releases. The best ones that have come out have been the Blue Note Lee Morgan box and this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2022 at 5:11 PM, danasgoodstuff said:

It's a shame they didn't get Cherry to play with Jackie McLean or Shorter or Rivers.

or putting him together with Clifford Jordan in better sound than either the Strata-East or Zounds sessions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

or putting him together with Clifford Jordan in better sound than either the Strata-East or Zounds sessions

That would've been nice too, but Clifford wasn't on BN by the time Cherry was there.  Art Deco from years later with James Clay, is a successful more mainstream Cherry album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking about dreaming, Ornette's outfit were all at BN basically at the same time, time-wise. Cherry sided with Blackmore and Ornette with Haden. They could've possibly started a new "Atlantic" franchise at BN. Was it that they were not all getting along at the time or Ornette wanted to do something different (although in my opinion, he just didn't record with a brass horn but with tenor instead). The live Impulse! and Science Fiction say otherwise later....

On 1/21/2022 at 2:53 PM, Guy Berger said:

I generally enjoy the Cherry BNs more than the Ornette BNs too.  Glad to have both.

Right on, I have them all too, and even enjoy the Empty Foxhole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.