Bunky Green/Tony Williams

Larry Kart

Two nice finds at Half Price today:

1) Bunky Green's "Another Place" (2004) with Jason Moran, Lonnie Plaxicio, and Nasheet Waits. Probably Bunky's best album, though it might be tied with his excellent old Vanguard LP with Randy Brecker et al. Moran is in very fine form, as is Waits.

2) Tony Wiliams Trio, "Young at Heart" (Columbia, 1996)  with Mulgrew Miller and Ira Coleman., rec. in Tokyo, probably when Tony's quintet was on tour there. What a loss Mulgrew was -- everything he plays is so clear and fresh.

No, I didn't, the albums that is, but I'll buy, with fingers crossed, anything from Bunky (sadly there's much less than there should be) and and likewise anything with Mulgrew.

P.S. The first piece I wrote for Downbeat back in 1967 ("Tale of a TV Taping") was about a  local PBS TV show that featured a band co-led by Bunky and pianist-vibes player Stu Katz. 

I stumbled on a $2 promo CD of Young at Heart in a bargain bin in the early 2000’s, and snapped it up for sure at that price. No liners, and a generic tray card — but the music is wonderful.

Right or wrong, I’ve always filed it with my other Mulgrew leader-dates — being “just a”  piano trio, after all.