Recommendation for book on jazz in the 1940s

46 minutes ago, BillF said:

I don't think I'll recommend you this one, Gheorghe. It seems to typify exactly the sort of jazz book you don't like. And, of course, it isn't about bebop, despite the cover photo! :D

We're geting astray, but I think I'd be able to add 3 or 4 more like that. That would ALSO make for a separate topic (which probably will turn out rather controversial - as in the case of the books I alluded to ... :D) It's always difficult if the author clearly has an agenda - particularly a social or societal one - that he sets out first (or premanently throughout the book) and then very much seems to adjust the facts to support his agenda (or his pet "narrative"). Interesting and informative books anyway but to be taken with a bucketful of salt ... But again - all this would better fit into a separate thread (and I'd only have been tempted to mention these books here if Rabshakeh had asked about books about the SWING era ^_^).

So let's NOT dwell on this any further but get back to the purpose of THIS thread. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

39 minutes ago, BillF said:

I don't think I'll recommend you this one, Gheorghe. It seems to typify exactly the sort of jazz book you don't like. And, of course, it isn't about bebop, despite the cover photo! :D

61mrTMRBd-L.jpg

Yes, maybe it wouldn´t be my first choice. Don´t misunderstand me, I don´t want to appear "dumb" if I wouldn´t read WHY jazz happened, I´m very busy to hear it, enjoy it  study it and play it. Other things....I have enough stuff to figure out in professional live and as  older and more experienced you get you have to keep up with it and study what you become involved with. So if I read a book about music or musicians I want to keep it in that manner. Even the much discussed Peter Pullman book about Bud has a bit too much about all his times at pshihic wards with medical records and all that. Its a quite complete documentary about his live and his efforts to meet people who knew him and are still alive, is great. But it could be a bit more analysis of his music. If not in a manner as exact  like the Fats Navarro book, which in large termes might be too complete for music lovers and listeners, but at least more about his playing in different periods, that might be interesting. How his chord progressions became more interesting, and his touch at playing let´s say Ballads became more profund.....