4 hours ago, jlhoots said:

William Shatner says 90 is the new 70.:ph34r:

Not with COVID.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

But dead is still the same dead 

Yup.

5 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Maybe he wrote the song in August…

That is probably why he gets mixed up, but, as I said, he tells the story as if the accident happened in August.

Edited by bertrand

1 hour ago, Justin V said:

Argh.  I posted for the first time in almost a year to remind people that Richard Davis is still around, only to see Jim joke about a nonagenarian dying.  Back to lurking.  Stay classy, Jim.

What else is there to do, but break down completely, and stop functioning, like any other living creature? I bet Shatner makes death jokes every single day.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

yes indeed.

But he might have had a hard time when THE Woody Shaw was also on trumpet...., I mean nothing wrong with Reece, but I think Woody was such an exceptional trumpet player and stylist that it may not be easy to combine him with another trumpet player. 
I remember in the 80´s there were two Blue Note albums Shaw-Hubbard, one was titled "Double Talk" maybe as a reminiscence of the old 1948 Navarro-McGhee 2 trumpet session. 
But I couldn´t find those 80´s albums any longer. BN did almost all reissues, why not stuff like this, like McCoy Tyner-Jackie McLean, or the live Joe Henderson ? 

On 1/5/2022 at 6:29 AM, Dmitry said:

What else is there to do, but break down completely, and stop functioning, like any other living creature? I bet Shatner makes death jokes every single day.

My grandpa who’s 97 or 98 has been making the same death joke for 20 years. 

12 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

But he might have had a hard time when THE Woody Shaw was also on trumpet...., I mean nothing wrong with Reece, but I think Woody was such an exceptional trumpet player and stylist that it may not be easy to combine him with another trumpet player. 
I remember in the 80´s there were two Blue Note albums Shaw-Hubbard, one was titled "Double Talk" maybe as a reminiscence of the old 1948 Navarro-McGhee 2 trumpet session. 
But I couldn´t find those 80´s albums any longer. BN did almost all reissues, why not stuff like this, like McCoy Tyner-Jackie McLean, or the live Joe Henderson ? 

Reece & Curson did a fine album together with pianist Claude Williamson's trio.

Reece was very fond of the Paris Reunion band. After him, Nat Adderley came in -- another contrast with Shaw, and maybe that was part of the point.

The Shaw-Hubbard albums also call to mind, at least on paper, Night of the Cookers with Lee Morgan and Freddie. Apparently both Shaw-Hubbard dates were reissued in 1995 on CD though I have not seen that version.