How much music would you say has been lost?

Hardbopjazz

A guy who did publicity in the early years told me that Carl E. Jefferson, who helped launch the Concord Jazz Festival and founded Concord Jazz, gave him soundboard copies of numerous sets from the festival. One of them was Duke Ellington sitting in with Woody Herman and his band. Sadly, he discarded them and evidently Jefferson’s widow likely disposed of her husband’s copies.

5 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

A guy who did publicity in the early years told me that Carl E. Jefferson, who helped launch the Concord Jazz Festival and founded Concord Jazz, gave him soundboard copies of numerous sets from the festival. One of them was Duke Ellington sitting in with Woody Herman and his band. Sadly, he discarded them and evidently Jefferson’s widow likely disposed of her husband’s copies.

That's the kind of destruction/loss that has to bother people. Or at least it does me.

Dave Brubeck was very upset when he asked for a tape of an outdoor concert during a rainstorm not be aired. Yet the producers of the American Jazz Radio Festival series aired it twice. He was literally wiping water off the keyboard, his cellist son Matthew’s bridge was moving as he tried to play and clarinetist Bill Smith was having issues as well. 

That’s one tape that probably won’t be missed, though copies of it circulate.