Austin Trip This Weekend

Eric

This has been an on again/off again thing, but we are leaving tomorrow.  The original plan was to see the rock band Spoon on Austin City Limits for NYE, but that cancelled.  So looking for ideas on music venues, record stores and to keep Mrs. Eric happy, book stores.

Check the weather forecast carefully.

I just looked, and I’m seeing a 30° high temperature differential between Saturday (81° high), and Sunday (only 51° high).

The Hill Country also has a lot to offer, though it’s not immediately in Austin. The LBJ Presidential Library and LBJ’s ranch are both quite interesting — and you couldn’t ask for a more gripping time-period anytime in the last 75 years to learn more about.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Record stores:  Waterloo, End of an Ear, Antone's Record Shop (on Guadalupe), Big Henry's (I haven't been here, but it's associated with Antone's Night Club, so might have some interesting music)

Books: Book People across the street from Waterloo is pretty good.  Many authors do signings here (I have a few signed Anne Rice books from her visits).  There are at least 6 Half Price Books shops in the greater Austin area, if you're familiar with them.  Can be hit or miss, but interesting to browse.  South Congress Books is small but interesting.

For live music:

* The Mavericks are playing down at Gruene Hall Thursday and Friday night, but that's a little trek from Austin, down near New Braunfels.

* Jimmie Vaughan and Mike Flanigin (who's a board member here on organissimo) are playing at C-Boy's on Friday and Saturday nights.

* Bob Schneider is playing at the Paramount Theatre on Friday night.  He's a blast to see live.

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Austin does seem to have a new jazz club. Early in January, it has Joey DeFrancesco and Jeff Hamilton on the schedule.

https://www.parkerjazzclub.com

Two sold out shows with the Basie band on Monday, Dec. 20!

They played the Meyerson under the aegis of the DSO on Tuesday, Dec. 21. I was kinda planning on going, but not under these conditions.

Still, road band! At least at Christmas? At least in Texas?

22 hours ago, JSngry said:

Two sold out shows with the Basie band on Monday, Dec. 20!

They played the Meyerson under the aegis of the DSO on Tuesday, Dec. 21. I was kinda planning on going, but not under these conditions.

Still, road band! At least at Christmas? At least in Texas?

The Meyerson would be a great place to hear a big band.

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I heard BB King & Bobby Blue Bland at the Myerson. Felt weird, sounded great!

That hall is an acoustic treasure, for real.

It seems like they used to have jazz there regularly. Maybe they are starting again? I recollect seeing Roy Hargrove, Joe Pass, Ramsey Lewis, Stanley Jordan, and Kenny Burrell (as part of a guitar show) there, but that was long ago.