Blue Note Collectors - how many 78s do you have?

Chuck Nessa

30 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Ok, so I’m apparently oblivious to the “Climax” variant(?) of the Blue Note label.  Can somebody school me?

Alfred Lion purchased George Lewis masters from Bill Russell (American Music). Since these were not "union sessions" BN released these on a different label.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

8 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Curious about the "modern" Climax material.

The one I was able to locate quickly in my 78s is

Wynton Kelly Trio: Cherokee/Moonglow (Climax 1579 - with a small print referring to BN 402 on the label)

Upon searching I also just discovered I do have at least one actual BN 78:

Ike Quebec's Swing Seven: Topsy/Cup-Mute Clayton (BN 515)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 hour ago, jcam_44 said:

Do you all actually play your 78s? I never bought any because I didn’t want to go through the trouble to play them. 

Actually yes - from time to time. About 10 years ago I retired a 90s DUAL turntable (that does have 3 speeds - which is why i bought it in the first place) from regular use as for some unfathomable reason it had an annoying and persistent speed fluctuation problem at 45 rpm. So when I bought a new turntable to set up alongside I fitted the Dual player with its 78 rpm pickup and have used this strictly for 78s ever since.

I do have trouble playing the few 16 2/3 rpm LPs that I have, though (one of the Prestiges and two Vogue trad jazz LPs). ^_^ Only one portable record player from the 50s that I have will play them.

Edited by Big Beat Steve