Best Historical Jazz Releases 2021

ghost of miles

The new Tristano Mosaic — at 6 CD’s and something approaching 6 hours of all previously unreleased material — would surely have to qualify. I know it’s only just shipping this week, but a few board members have gotten theirs, so it’s still a 2021 release technically.

(Suggested in the spirit of it not getting lost in the shuffle.)

Unless it turns out to “ought to be” at the very top of the list next year too, once it’s been properly assessed.

These are the ones that I've bought....seems like a lot in one year (for me, anyway) and they've all been good...better than ususal, it seems.

• Hasaan Ibn Ali, Metaphysics: The Lost Atlantic Album  (Omnivore Recordings)
  • Hasaan Ibn Ali, Retrospect In Retirement Of Delay: The Solo Recordings (Omnivore Recordings)
  • Art Blakey, First Flight To Tokyo: The Lost 1961 Recordings (Blue Note)
  • Roy Brooks, Understanding (Reel To Real)
  • Don Cherry, The Summer House Sessions (Blank Forms)
  • John Coltrane, A Love Supreme Live In Seattle (Impulse)
  • Julius Hemphill, The Boyé Multi-National Crusade for Harmony (New World Records)
  • Joe Henderson, Complete Blue Note Studio Sessions (Mosaic Records)
  • Harold Land, Westward Bound (Reel To Real)
  • Lee Morgan, Complete Live At The Lighthouse (Blue Note)
  • Charlie Parker, Bird In L.A. (Verve)
  • Bud Powell, 1962 Copenhagen (Steeplechase)

17 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

The new Tristano Mosaic — at 6 CD’s and something approaching 6 hours of all previously unreleased material — would surely have to qualify. I know it’s only just shipping this week, but a few board members have gotten theirs, so it’s still a 2021 release technically.

Unless it turns out to “ought to be” at the very top of the list next year too, once it’s been properly assessed.

the secret tricks of those who want make sure they escape those types of lists in both 2021 and 2022... guess they can afford it

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Yeah, problem is that I haven't gotten mine yet--and I don't list anything that I haven't actually listened to.  Mosaic's Christmas-season sets often land in that nebulous end-of-the-year period... the Tristano set, I'd wager, is a solid bet to land on my list next December.

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I sure wish a lot of this set sounded better. Some of it is darned near impossible for me to sit through, and I can sit through some rough stuff.

I recorded a Timeless Jazz show focusing on Best Historical Releases and Reissues on December 16, scheduled to air on January 2, 2022. There are a number of Japanese reissues included. Unfortunately, The new Mosaic Records Lennie Tristano Sessions arrived 11 days after the show was recorded, as I had no studio access from December 18-January 2 due to holiday closing of the station.

Here's the link to the 2 hour show:

https://archive.org/details/timeless-jazz-1-2-2022-best-historical-and-reissued-cds

Here is the playlist:

Louis Armstrong & Dave Brubeck

The Complete Columbia + RCA Victor Studio Sessions 1946-1966

They Say I Look Like God (Take 1)

Mosaic Records

-

Bill Evans

Behind the Dikes: The 1969 Netherlands Recordings (Live)

Turn Out the Stars (Live)                                                                                                                                                                                     

Elemental Music

Aki Takase & Rudi Mahall

Duet For Eric Dolphy                                                                                                                                                                                           Hat And Beard                             

Solid/Enja

-
Hal Galper Quintet with Michael Brecker, Randy Brecker, Wayne Dockery & Bob Moses

Live at the Berlin Philharmonic, 1977

Now Hear This

Origin Records

Joe Henderson
The Complete Joe Henderson Blue Note Studio Sessions                                                                                                                                Our Thing (alternate take)                                                                                                                                                                                  Mosaic Records

Roy Hargrove & Mulgrew Miller                                                                                                                                                                           In Harmony (Live)
Invitation (Live)                                                                                                                                                                                                   Resonance Records

Lee Konitz & Martial Solal                                                                                                                                                                                   Live at the Berlin Jazz Days 1980
Subconciously          
MPS

Johnny Hodges
13 Mars 1961 Live in Paris                                                                                                                                                                               Jeep's Blues                                                                                                                                                                                                      Fremeaux & Associes

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers                                                                                                                                                                   First Flight To Tokyo: The Lost 1961 Recordings
Moanin'
Blue Note

Roseanna Vitro - Listen Here (feat. Kenny Barron)
Listen Here                                                                                                                                                                                                       Skyline

Red Rodney-Herman Schoonderwalt Quintet
Scrapple From the Apple - Live at Nick Vollebregt's Jazzcafe in Laren
Jordu
Solid/Timeless

Sheila Jordan 
Comes Love: Lost Session 1960 
A Sleepin' Bee                                                                                                                                                                                                 Capri Records Ltd.

Erroll Garner
Symphony Hall Concert  
I Can't Get Started With You                                                                                                                                                                           Mack Avenue

Oscar Peterson - A Time for Love: The Oscar Peterson Quartet Live in Helsinki, 1987
A Time for Love: The Oscar Peterson Quartet Live in Helsinki, 1987
Blues Etude                                                                                                                                                                                                      Mack Avenue

Art Farmer
Soul Eyes
Cherokee Sketches                                                                                                                                                                                           Solid/Enja                                                                                                                           

David Liebman Quartet featuring Mike Nock
Open Heart                                                                                                                                                                                                         The Star Crossed Lovers                                                                                                                                                                           Solid/Enja

Edited by Ken Dryden

I'll vote for the Brooks Understanding, the Coltrane ALS Seattle and the Juju Prince Street releases, they shed meaningful new light for me, where some of the other great releases just recycled and/or supplemented what we already knew, thankful as I am for some of those (especially the Morgan Lighthouse set).

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I sure wish a lot of this set sounded better. Some of it is darned near impossible for me to sit through, and I can sit through some rough stuff.

Saw a similar comment that you made in the Tristano set thread. Like you I’m not easily put off by rough sound, so your response is dampening my anticipation for this box a bit. How does it compare to, say, the Benedetti Parker, or the Tristano Wow CD that the family put out in the 1990s?

10 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Saw a similar comment that you made in the Tristano set thread. Like you I’m not easily put off by rough sound, so your response is dampening my anticipation for this box a bit. How does it compare to, say, the Benedetti Parker, or the Tristano Wow CD that the family put out in the 1990s?

I honestly haven't been able to get past the initial shock of the sound and sit down and focus on it to evaluate it. My gut says that at least the first disc is a bit less sonically restored as most of the Benedetti, more in line with the worst of that set. I don't remember the "Wow" cd sound . . . haven't heard that disc for some time and I believe it is in storage now. The sextet material just sounded very diffuse and unfocused initially and I stopped listening. Perhaps next week I'll be able to dedicate more time to the set. The trio material is in very good sound--I listened to disc IV twice.

On 12/30/2021 at 2:58 PM, JSngry said:

These are the ones that I've bought....seems like a lot in one year (for me, anyway) and they've all been good...better than ususal, it seems.

• Hasaan Ibn Ali, Retrospect In Retirement Of Delay: The Solo Recordings (Omnivore Recordings)
  • Julius Hemphill, The Boyé Multi-National Crusade for Harmony (New World Records)

I forgot that the Hemphill box was released this year.   That and the Hassan solo recordings were of huge historical importance. 

Edited by John L

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

David Liebman Quartet featuring Mike Nock
Open Heart                                                                                                                                                                                                         The Star Crossed Lovers                                                                                                                                                                           Solid/Enja

Ken, Amazon has only used copies of this.  Any idea where a new copy can be found?

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

I have the Coltrane in Seattle, and love it !!!

Charlie Parker in LA I hope will come: I had ordered it on Amazon as soon as it was advertised and got many delete messenges and the last one told me it will arrive on 7 ianuarie, so I hope I´ll have it soon. 

Bud Powell 1962 in Copenhaga I didn´t purchase since I already have the recording. 

I might add another big surprise for me from 2021: Sonny Rollins-George Duke-Stanley Clark-Al Foster Live under the Sky 1981. I think it was announced he in the forum but couldnt find the thread anymore, I would have liked to add my personal review...,

The detailed Tristano discography seems to suggest perhaps about an hour of ‘wire’ sources, not all on the same CD.

I didn’t do the exact math, but that’s my recollection when I last took a gander at specifically which parts of the set came from wire recordings (a couple weeks ago).

PS: My copy hasn’t shipped yet, so I can’t comment on the SQ directly.

Edited by Rooster_Ties