BFT 214 Link a dink and Discussion

Dan Gould

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, to be fair, I got an advance listen in on this two days ago -- sue me.  That said, I've ID'd not a damned thing!  :D

A lot of interesting blues-leaning stuff in here.  A few whiffs for me, but that's why we're all sharing our own stuff.  Thanks for the listen, Dan!

Track 01 - Straighten Up And Fly Right, but by whom.  First thought was Gator, but it's more somebody trying to play like Gator to my ear (that will start a fight, but that's what I hear).  Recording sure smells of Concord.  Not sold on the spoken word.  A fun ride, but not fully sold on it as listening music -- more party music.

Track 02 - In.  All in.  Take my money.  I don't know who, but I love it.  Patient, just telling the story.  Egos left in the breezeway, nothing but the blues in this house.

Track 03 - Off the basketball court, I've always detested this tune.  Almost a Zoot sensibility, but doesn't have that warm core that Zoot has.  That's not a criticism (even though it sounds like it).  It's cooking in its own right, I'm just not sure who it is -- but it ain't Zoot.  

Track 04 - Blue Moon, not sure who by.  Someone of the correct era, but I'm not in love with that dry tone.  At points I think I'm going to like, then it just sounds like it's missing something.  Can't put my finger on what it is that doesn't reach me in the tone other than that word "dry".  Clearly a real player of that era, though.  Has that classic vibrato style.  I'd guess mid-50s, or at least that was this player's prime (maybe even a bit before).  Okay, is that the same guy on alto, now?  Because that would help explain what I couldn't explain before.  The ideas sounded like somebody like Marshall Royal, but the tone was... I don't know, part Arnett Cobb, part Al Cohn.  But the ideas sounded alto to me, and that would explain what I was hearing in the tone.  A round about way of saying I don't know who this is.

Track 05 - I like the brass arrangement.  The electric bass?  Notsomuch.  Can't say I know who this is, but I like it.  It's understated.

Track 06 - Somebody likes Cannonball nearly as much as I do.  It's got what it's got -- no getting around that.   Gets a little showy around 2:30, but it works.  I feel like I should be able to make a guess on this, but I got nothing.  Gets a little way from what it had around 3:15.  Still works, but not something I'm coming back to.  For a bit, I actually thought this might be Nat, but it's not quite there.  I don't know it is, only who it is not.  

Track 07 - I don't care for Captain Growls in the least.  The arrangement has the feel of a Peter Apfelbaum date, but this may be earlier (or at least concurrent).  It's a conservatory boy, for sure, just not sure which one.  Somebody who has listened to a lot of Coltrane, Joe Henderson, and Charles Lloyd.  Can play is butt off, but I'm not hearing a unique voice in there.  Rhythm section does less than nothing for me.  It's an Austin Powers cut -- it's not my bag, baby.

Track 08 - Again, the Concord sound.  I don't know the player.  Real guy, but more from the blues angle to my ear.  Again, this is going to get me in trouble, but it feels like it *wants* to swing, but can't quite get there.  

Track 09 - Oh, this is SUPER familiar.  This may actually occupy a shelf in my CD room.  Pianist nearly tripped over his fingers, but totally understandable.  Not sure who it is but reminds me of the dude that played with Art Pepper, Milcho,  in terms of his aggressiveness.  That left-hand almost has a Horace Silver thing going on.  That right-hand is an absolute bitch!  Could this be the Gene cut?  Tenor has shades of Big George, but not him.  This guy has all the technicque of Captain Growls on track 7, but this is far more musical to my ear.  I should know this player, and I'm coming up oh him each time his car pulls away from the curb (it's an early 70s Lincoln, by the way).  

Track 10 - It's not over -- there's three more tunes after this!  I don't know these players, but they are accomplished players to be sure.  Some hints of James Spaulding in that alto, but I think, again, more of a blues bend.  Could well be Pat Martino.  Not sure about the trumpet.  Aquitted himself well, but sounded like he was right at the edge of his ability to do so at this tempo (understandable).  Sounds like Cedar Walton to me.  Is this, perhaps, one of those Newport Jazz Festival Presents bands?  If so, maybe Randy Brecker on trumpet.  I'm a broken record here, but has that Concord sound (which always makes me think George Mraz).  Hmmm... nope.  Not brassy enough to be Randy.  Almost sounds like George Adams beating on an alto.  

Track 11 - Alright, damnit, that's GOT to be Gene and it IS Concord.  Hmmm... who IS this thick reeded, breathy saxophonist.  Like if Jimmy Forrest and Von Freeman had a child.  

Track 12 - Recognize the tune but can't give you name.  Lyrics are ALMOST reaching me.  Let it shine is in there.  I do not know who.  This is an area that's pretty thin in my collection, the second-line neo-gospel feel.  It works, though.  Hmmm... a 2-Gene BFT?

Track 13 - Hmmm.  I wanted to say Jimmy Forrest, but I'm hearing later Illinois Jacquet (Black Lion years).  Bad MF whomever it is.  A whole lot more of this, please.

airplane-goodluck.gif

1 hour ago, tkeith said:

Alright, to be fair, I got an advance listen in on this two days ago -- sue me.  That said, I've ID'd not a damned thing!  :D

A lot of interesting blues-leaning stuff in here.  A few whiffs for me, but that's why we're all sharing our own stuff.  Thanks for the listen, Dan!

Track 01 - Straighten Up And Fly Right, but by whom.  First thought was Gator, but it's more somebody trying to play like Gator to my ear (that will start a fight, but that's what I hear).  Recording sure smells of Concord.  Not sold on the spoken word.  A fun ride, but not fully sold on it as listening music -- more party music.

Definitely chosen to grab folks by the lapel and say "let's party".  Whether it was chosen as a perfect "fun ride" to start things off or also as a response to the last tunes of BFT 213, that depends on your perspective. 

Track 04 - Blue Moon, not sure who by.  Someone of the correct era, but I'm not in love with that dry tone.  At points I think I'm going to like, then it just sounds like it's missing something.  Can't put my finger on what it is that doesn't reach me in the tone other than that word "dry".  Clearly a real player of that era, though.  Has that classic vibrato style.  I'd guess mid-50s, or at least that was this player's prime (maybe even a bit before).  Okay, is that the same guy on alto, now?  Because that would help explain what I couldn't explain before.  The ideas sounded like somebody like Marshall Royal, but the tone was... I don't know, part Arnett Cobb, part Al Cohn.  But the ideas sounded alto to me, and that would explain what I was hearing in the tone.  A round about way of saying I don't know who this is.

Yes, leader is doubling on this track. I think of him as an alto myself though.

Track 06 - Somebody likes Cannonball nearly as much as I do.  It's got what it's got -- no getting around that.   Gets a little showy around 2:30, but it works.  I feel like I should be able to make a guess on this, but I got nothing.  Gets a little way from what it had around 3:15.  Still works, but not something I'm coming back to.  For a bit, I actually thought this might be Nat, but it's not quite there.  I don't know it is, only who it is not.  

Very interesting - not someone associated with Cannon, so reveal will definitely surprise.

Track 07 - I don't care for Captain Growls in the least.  The arrangement has the feel of a Peter Apfelbaum date, but this may be earlier (or at least concurrent).  It's a conservatory boy, for sure, just not sure which one.  Somebody who has listened to a lot of Coltrane, Joe Henderson, and Charles Lloyd.  Can play is butt off, but I'm not hearing a unique voice in there.  Rhythm section does less than nothing for me.  It's an Austin Powers cut -- it's not my bag, baby.

Don't know that I would say "conservatory" but first recording was 1983.  Pianist is actually best known of the cats.

Track 08 - Again, the Concord sound.  I don't know the player.  Real guy, but more from the blues angle to my ear.  Again, this is going to get me in trouble, but it feels like it *wants* to swing, but can't quite get there.  

This is a Concord release but not well known at all.

Track 09 - Oh, this is SUPER familiar.  This may actually occupy a shelf in my CD room.  Pianist nearly tripped over his fingers, but totally understandable.  Not sure who it is but reminds me of the dude that played with Art Pepper, Milcho,  in terms of his aggressiveness.  That left-hand almost has a Horace Silver thing going on.  That right-hand is an absolute bitch!  Could this be the Gene cut?  Tenor has shades of Big George, but not him.  This guy has all the technicque of Captain Growls on track 7, but this is far more musical to my ear.  I should know this player, and I'm coming up oh him each time his car pulls away from the curb (it's an early 70s Lincoln, by the way).  

You will definitely be surprised at the reveal.

Track 10 - It's not over -- there's three more tunes after this!  I don't know these players, but they are accomplished players to be sure.  Some hints of James Spaulding in that alto, but I think, again, more of a blues bend.  Could well be Pat Martino.  Not sure about the trumpet.  Aquitted himself well, but sounded like he was right at the edge of his ability to do so at this tempo (understandable).  Sounds like Cedar Walton to me.  Is this, perhaps, one of those Newport Jazz Festival Presents bands?  If so, maybe Randy Brecker on trumpet.  I'm a broken record here, but has that Concord sound (which always makes me think George Mraz).  Hmmm... nope.  Not brassy enough to be Randy.  Almost sounds like George Adams beating on an alto.  

Not Concord but should have gone with Spaulding on alto. Judges? Judges say yes, give him credit.

Track 11 - Alright, damnit, that's GOT to be Gene and it IS Concord.  Hmmm... who IS this thick reeded, breathy saxophonist.  Like if Jimmy Forrest and Von Freeman had a child.  

Not Concord and not Gene, and the judges just reversed their decision on #10. :g

Track 12 - Recognize the tune but can't give you name.  Lyrics are ALMOST reaching me.  Let it shine is in there.  I do not know who.  This is an area that's pretty thin in my collection, the second-line neo-gospel feel.  It works, though.  Hmmm... a 2-Gene BFT?

Ding Ding, yes, it's Gene. But what about ID-ing the Concord sound? :P

Gonna try and do this while I work...wish me luck!

TRACK ONE - WHOA! The Grinch talks to the Buzzard. Tenor should be immediately identifiable. Should be...The voice ALMOST sounds like Jon Hendricks. But it's the tenor's show, full bodied, robust, like good coffee in Bb.

TRACK TWO  - Sure-handed.

TRACK THREE - Might this be Percy? Great playing.

TRACK FOUR - "Blue Moon", very Hawk-ish. VERY. Maybe a bit too much, depends on how old the player is. But it's not Hawk.

TRACK FIVE - Not really feeling this one, sorry. A short WTF?!?!?! tenor solo is the redemption card on this one for me. Maybe Urbie Green? Bill Watrous?

TRACK SIX - Not sure...sounds real enough, maybe a bit tired?

TRACK SEVEN - Sounds like Ernie Watts, only less. Surely this is L.A.? I mean, nothing wrong with it, it's just not...it's doesn't make it's case, imo.

TRACK EIGHT - Ok, I like that tenor tone right off the bat, it's got some fluid in it. Getting close to Red Holloway, might well be. If it's not, it oughta be.

TRACK NINE - Hal Singer? I like it.

TRACK TEN - A bit of the frisky factor, of which I am a fan! James Spaulding, maybe? Yeah, we like it here in our town.

TRACK ELEVEN - Mordembluz. But ok, here comes the tenor, ears perk up, Big Nick? Or Arnette? Itforeel. Our town came out on the lawn for this one.

TRACK TWELVE - We don't enter unto the house of the lord very much these days. Not the lord's fault, nor ours. But they could use some new songs, no matter. But them that still do, this is as good as it needs to be, like a Les McCann good?

TRACK THIRTEEN - Percy again? that man could PLAY!

Not a good idea to do this whoile working, couldn't pay attention like I'd want to. But still heard a lot of good stuff.

Dan, for a while around cuts 5-9, thought I was listening to someone else's BFT!  Some really nice stuff that I like a good bit, along with some stuff that just doesn't work for me.  But thanks for putting this together, and I anxiously await the reveals of 5-9, especially 7.  Have a great New Years!

1 – “Straighten Up and Fly Right”.  Don’t hate it.  Have always enjoyed the song, and this is a very fun version.

2 – Don’t hate it.  Good blues.  Gene Harris?  If not, Ray Bryant?

3 – Don’t hate it, “Sweet Georgia Brown”.

4 – Sort of hate it.  They’re all old-time players, but this sax player especially. 

5 – Don’t hate it at all, actively like this one!  Electric bass and electric piano sound great, good composition, good chart.

6 - Don’t hate it at all, actively like this one a LOT!  Good solos, good composition, good group sound.

7 - Don’t hate it at all, actively LOVE this one!   Sounds more like something from my collection than yours, and will certainly look to rectify if I don’t own this.  I imagine this will most certainly prove to be my favorite cut on the BFT!

8 - Don’t hate it at all, actively like this one!  This is proving to be quite the WWFL BFT stretch!  Guitar and piano both quite good.  Is this one Gene Harris

9 – The amazing run continues.  - Don’t hate it at all, actively like this one a LOT!   Really dig the tune and the bari player.

10 – Sort of hate it.  “Well You Needn’t”, which is one of my favorite Monk tunes, but don’t care for the arrangement at all.  I don’t often like Monk by anyone but Monk.  Some very annoying aspects to this performance, plus the recording mix is a mess.  The drummer definitely gets on my nerves, as does the guitarist.  Gets better as it goes along, and I do like the piano solo.

11 –Pretty much Hate it.  So very not me.  Just feels like 7 minutes of cliches, though I’m not a good judge.

12 – Hate it.  Again, feels like cliches, and I don’t like the source material, though I do appreciate and try to live the sentiment (“This Little Light of Mine”)

13 – Hate it.  “The Man I Love”, which I have always liked, but can’t stomach the sax, who no doubt is considered a great by others.  Gets better with the piano solo, but that’s too late, and it’s not that I actively like the pianist, just don’t hate him.

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

Gonna try and do this while I work...wish me luck!

TRACK ONE - WHOA! The Grinch talks to the Buzzard. Tenor should be immediately identifiable. Should be...The voice ALMOST sounds like Jon Hendricks. But it's the tenor's show, full bodied, robust, like good coffee in Bb.

Not Hendricks, I have every reason to believe its the tenor player who speaks.

TRACK THREE - Might this be Percy? Great playing.

Not Percy. However, I do believe that you are the one person who could get this, on a three-round game of Password.

TRACK FOUR - "Blue Moon", very Hawk-ish. VERY. Maybe a bit too much, depends on how old the player is. But it's not Hawk.

TRACK FIVE - Not really feeling this one, sorry. A short WTF?!?!?! tenor solo is the redemption card on this one for me. Maybe Urbie Green? Bill Watrous?

Bill Watrous is correct. The presence of the tenor was the reason I took a chance on the record.

TRACK SIX - Not sure...sounds real enough, maybe a bit tired?

So you are saying real, as in lived it, didn't study it, and perhaps older now, not firing as well as before?

TRACK SEVEN - Sounds like Ernie Watts, only less. Surely this is L.A.? I mean, nothing wrong with it, it's just not...it's doesn't make it's case, imo.

New York not LA.

TRACK EIGHT - Ok, I like that tenor tone right off the bat, it's got some fluid in it. Getting close to Red Holloway, might well be. If it's not, it oughta be.

Not Red but I can kind of hear it.

TRACK NINE - Hal Singer? I like it.

Not Singer.

TRACK TEN - A bit of the frisky factor, of which I am a fan! James Spaulding, maybe? Yeah, we like it here in our town.

Yes, Spaulding on alto.

TRACK ELEVEN - Mordembluz. But ok, here comes the tenor, ears perk up, Big Nick? Or Arnette? Itforeel. Our town came out on the lawn for this one.

Neither Big Nick nor Arnett.

TRACK TWELVE - We don't enter unto the house of the lord very much these days. Not the lord's fault, nor ours. But they could use some new songs, no matter. But them that still do, this is as good as it needs to be, like a Les McCann good?

Not Les, Thom guessed correctly though we lack a title or recording. That should be easy to fill out with the title.

(Disappointed so far in the reaction to Gene - guess I chose poorly among the three I considered.)

TRACK THIRTEEN - Percy again? that man could PLAY!

Yes Percy France.

Not a good idea to do this whoile working, couldn't pay attention like I'd want to. But still heard a lot of good stuff.

Thanks for your thoughts and I do hope you find time in the next 30 days to give another listen without work distractions, as you may have new insights and even revised evaluations.

17 hours ago, felser said:

2 – Don’t hate it.  Good blues.  Gene Harris?  If not, Ray Bryant?

Neither Gene nor Ray.

5 – Don’t hate it at all, actively like this one!  Electric bass and electric piano sound great, good composition, good chart.

6 - Don’t hate it at all, actively like this one a LOT!  Good solos, good composition, good group sound.

7 - Don’t hate it at all, actively LOVE this one!   Sounds more like something from my collection than yours, and will certainly look to rectify if I don’t own this.  I imagine this will most certainly prove to be my favorite cut on the BFT!

8 - Don’t hate it at all, actively like this one!  This is proving to be quite the WWFL BFT stretch!  Guitar and piano both quite good.  Is this one Gene Harris

Not Gene.

9 – The amazing run continues.  - Don’t hate it at all, actively like this one a LOT!   Really dig the tune and the bari player.

10 – Sort of hate it.  “Well You Needn’t”, which is one of my favorite Monk tunes, but don’t care for the arrangement at all.  I don’t often like Monk by anyone but Monk.  Some very annoying aspects to this performance, plus the recording mix is a mess.  The drummer definitely gets on my nerves, as does the guitarist.  Gets better as it goes along, and I do like the piano solo.

I'll reserve comment on this string of reactions but I do look forward more than ever to the reveal.

12 – Hate it.  Again, feels like cliches, and I don’t like the source material, though I do appreciate and try to live the sentiment (“This Little Light of Mine”)

I am going to have to ask if you would like to revise your prior statement that you "like and respect" Gene Harris. ID'd as such by Thom, and with the title now ID'd, a tiny bit of sleuthing would get this fully identified.

Honestly considering that this is a perfect representation of Gene Harris in his Concord years (more groove oriented, a bit more OP-ish in terms of notes per measure) that I am left to guess that you only like him from his BN years?

13 – Hate it.  “The Man I Love”, which I have always liked, but can’t stomach the sax, who no doubt is considered a great by others.  Gets better with the piano solo, but that’s too late, and it’s not that I actively like the pianist, just don’t hate him.

I am going to take a little time to decide if our online friendship can withstand this reaction. 

;)

In all seriousness thanks John for your comments and Happy New Year to you too.

Edited by Dan Gould

Dan, source material is often a problem for me with Harris,  I don't like some songs regardless of who does them.  BTW, don't think Billy Harper ever did "This Little Light of Mine", despite his Baptist upbringing and preacher father.  And yes, the only Harris I really follow is his BN work.  And our friendship survived your hating on Joe Henderson and Khan Jamal last month, it will survive this :).  Happy 2022, my friend.

well I suspect this may be going out of my comfort zone but in the spirit of adventure let's jump in and see if I drown or not

track 1. - leave out the alliterative interludes and it's a lot more listenable. Like the tenor

track 2. - goes on too long but a nice groove

track 3. - does nothing for me I'm afraid. May have been fun to be there 

track 4. - Like the guitar accompaniment from the off. Most enjoyable track so far for me, will be interested to hear who the guitarist is

track 5. - This is interesting, not too sure about the electric bass but like like the electric piano and the rest is there for me. Swings nicely, foot tapping. Like the trombone a lot. Overall, could do with a bit more adventure. 

track 6. - something's drawing me in here a bit like track 5. I just want a bit more grit I think although the initial sax solo almost gets there a couple of times. The rhythm section sounds like they're sleeping under the trumpet solo, come on guys kick it up a bit. Another one that goes on too long.

track.7 - Have I fallen into last month's BFT? :)  The tenor player seems happier here than the rhythm section, once again I hear them dragging the horn back a bit. Nice guitar and I'm not often one to say that. I'll be interested to know who's on this.

track 8. -  yes, from the off. On the button. Loving the sound and a rhythm section that's awake and up for it. Best track so far for me. I want to hear more by this band, definitely

track. 9. - Another good one that grooves just the way I like it. The drummer under the piano solo is on it. Great bari solo too. I want a sunny day to play this loud to - fat chance in London in January!

And that's where I bow out for the day. I had no pretence to being able to identify anyone and that's been proven. An enjoyable listen and I'll try to be back for the rest tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

well I suspect this may be going out of my comfort zone but in the spirit of adventure let's jump in and see if I drown or not

track 1. - leave out the alliterative interludes and it's a lot more listenable. Like the tenor

track 2. - goes on too long but a nice groove

track 3. - does nothing for me I'm afraid. May have been fun to be there 

track 4. - Like the guitar accompaniment from the off. Most enjoyable track so far for me, will be interested to hear who the guitarist is

track 5. - This is interesting, not too sure about the electric bass but like like the electric piano and the rest is there for me. Swings nicely, foot tapping. Like the trombone a lot. Overall, could do with a bit more adventure. 

track 6. - something's drawing me in here a bit like track 5. I just want a bit more grit I think although the initial sax solo almost gets there a couple of times. The rhythm section sounds like they're sleeping under the trumpet solo, come on guys kick it up a bit. Another one that goes on too long.

track.7 - Have I fallen into last month's BFT? :)  The tenor player seems happier here than the rhythm section, once again I hear them dragging the horn back a bit. Nice guitar and I'm not often one to say that. I'll be interested to know who's on this.

track 8. -  yes, from the off. On the button. Loving the sound and a rhythm section that's awake and up for it. Best track so far for me. I want to hear more by this band, definitely

track. 9. - Another good one that grooves just the way I like it. The drummer under the piano solo is on it. Great bari solo too. I want a sunny day to play this loud to - fat chance in London in January!

And that's where I bow out for the day. I had no pretence to being able to identify anyone and that's been proven. An enjoyable listen and I'll try to be back for the rest tomorrow.

Thanks for jumping in and giving it a try, since your reactions track my dear friend Mr. Felser's pretty closely, I am not sure if you should bother with 10-13, but as long as you don't share his "I prefer Monk played by Monk himself" preference, you may at least dig #10. :g

Back for the home straight...

track 10. - like this quite a lot. Nice solos, percussion bubbling away under it all. Just a hint of going out there here and there. Works for me as you predicted it might.

track 11. - Love it! nowhere near what I usually listen to and possibly couldn't listen to a lot of it but in this sized portion, yes please

track 12. - Another nice surprise and something I could listen to again happily

track 13. - so this is the Percy France who causes all the flutters. As an introduction I'm very pleased to meet him, great sound, very atmospheric#

A strong finish for me. 

Well this has been an education, thank you.  I realise how much of what I normally listen is removed from the fairly explicit Blues and Gospel influences I've heard throughout these selections, possibly not a surprise coming from a UK/European improv starting point...there's at least three tracks I'll be very interested in knowing more about and on the evidence of track 13 I wonder if there's a website somewhere dedicated to the saxophonist?

17 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

A strong finish for me.

Excellent! 

... and on the evidence of track 13 I wonder if there's a website somewhere dedicated to the saxophonist?

Why yes I think someone did create something like that:

www.percyfrance.info

:g

And here are many more full track examples of Percy:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=percy+france+tenor+saxophone

7 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I read the title as "Link a drink and Discussion.'

I'm on it!

1 minute ago, felser said:

If you don't copyright that, I may use it in December!

I think I get first dibs on copyright. After all I nearly went with Linky Dinky. :g