BFT 214 Link a dink and Discussion

Dan Gould

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyable set!

1, Mose Allison?  Love it!
2. OK, I'll use my Gene Harris card here.
3. Jumpy tenor sax number.  Tune is familiar but eluding me at the moment.  Wait, maybe Sweet Georgia Brown?  Having been warned that I'm going to get a lot wrong, I'll try Percy France.
4. Mid-Tempo tenor sax number.  Tune is familiar but eluding me at the moment - I think "of my own" is part of the lyric.  Googling the lyric fragment, Blue Moon is the tune I was thinking of.  Smmother than many of the other tenors here.  Zoot Sims?
5. Electric bass on this one.  Black & Blue is a label that seems to use electric bass with musicians who first emerged mid 20th century.  Trombone seems to be the leader.  Maybe not Black & Blue.  Urbie Green?
6. Jazz Messengers feel, but seems to be alto, trumpet and rhythm.  Bass very prominent in the mix, I don't think it's 60's or earlier.  I'll try Sonny Criss without much confidence.
7. Stanley Turrentine?
8. A little gruffer tone.  Eddie Lockjaw Davis?
9. I hate being wrong when I guess Rollins, but I'm going to risk it.  Live recording with a Blue Note boogaloo feel, but serious command of the tenor and a lot of variety of technique.
10. Well You Needn't in a modern version.  Bass way up front again.  Freddie Hubbard?
11. The pianists high runs are very chopsy, maybe Barry Harris?
12. This little light of mine? Hank Jones?
13. Gene Ammons, or maybe Ben Webster?

10 hours ago, randyhersom said:

Enjoyable set!

1, Mose Allison?  Love it!
2. OK, I'll use my Gene Harris card here.
3. Jumpy tenor sax number.  Tune is familiar but eluding me at the moment.  Wait, maybe Sweet Georgia Brown?  Having been warned that I'm going to get a lot wrong, I'll try Percy France.
4. Mid-Tempo tenor sax number.  Tune is familiar but eluding me at the moment - I think "of my own" is part of the lyric.  Googling the lyric fragment, Blue Moon is the tune I was thinking of.  Smmother than many of the other tenors here.  Zoot Sims?
5. Electric bass on this one.  Black & Blue is a label that seems to use electric bass with musicians who first emerged mid 20th century.  Trombone seems to be the leader.  Maybe not Black & Blue.  Urbie Green?
6. Jazz Messengers feel, but seems to be alto, trumpet and rhythm.  Bass very prominent in the mix, I don't think it's 60's or earlier.  I'll try Sonny Criss without much confidence.
7. Stanley Turrentine?
8. A little gruffer tone.  Eddie Lockjaw Davis?
9. I hate being wrong when I guess Rollins, but I'm going to risk it.  Live recording with a Blue Note boogaloo feel, but serious command of the tenor and a lot of variety of technique.
10. Well You Needn't in a modern version.  Bass way up front again.  Freddie Hubbard?
11. The pianists high runs are very chopsy, maybe Barry Harris?
12. This little light of mine? Hank Jones?
13. Gene Ammons, or maybe Ben Webster?

Glad you enjoyed the compilation Randy. Unfortunately you got the titles right but none of the guesses landed.

1. Straighten Up and Fly Right, written by Nat King Cole

The R&Bish tenor sax doesn’t do anything for me, nor do the spoken words

2. A blues so laid back and so slow developing that it makes me sleepy. A bit too low key for my taste.

3. Sweet Georgia Brown, written by Ben Bernie, Maceo Pinkard & Kenneth Casey

The tenor saxophonist is swinging, the pianist not so much. The late addition of the trumpet seems like a footnote.

4. Blue Moon, by Richard Rodgers & Lorenz Hart

I like the tenor saxophonist and guitarist, not sure of the former, could the guitarist be Bucky Pizzarelli? The bassist and drummer are so much in the background that I can’t identify them.

5. Sorry, this one bores me, it takes too long to get underway and the electric piano is annoying. The trombonist is the track’s only saving grace.

6. Another song that loses my attention quickly with the repetitious introduction. No guesses.

7. It sounds like this tenor saxophonist has some chops at times, though the composition is a bit too repetitious for my liking. No guesses.

8. Things are getting more interesting with this track. The tenor saxophonist is the best so far and the rhythm section is up to the task of fueling his ideas. No idea of the title or players, though this could be in my collection.

9. This blues sounds initially like a variation of “Watermelon Man” to me. I like the players, but have no clue as to who they are.

10. “Well, You Needn’t” by Thelonious Monk

This is probably something in my collection, though the congas seem superfluous. The soloists are all strong. Four stars for the trumpeter, saxophonist and pianist. 

11. I don’t know who is playing this gospel-infused blues, though it sounds like Gene Harris to me. No idea of the song title or album.

12. “This Little Light of Mine,” the traditional gospel favorite.

The Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris: piano, Ron Eschete: guitar, Luther Hughes: bass, Paul Humphrey: drums, from the Concord Jazz CD Brotherhood.

13. “The Man I Love,” by George & Ira Gershwin

This swinging interpretation is likely in my record collection, but it sounds like a 1960s recording. No clue who it is, though the bassist could be Milt Hinton.

I would have enjoyed more variety instead of the focus on tenor saxophone almost exclusively, but that’s my opinion. I’m guessing that I may own 4 or 5 of the 13 tracks presented.

Edited by Ken Dryden

On 1/8/2022 at 0:39 PM, JSngry said:

Cheating now...Bill Easely is a name I tend to ignore, but every time I hear him, I kick myself doing so. Same thing here.

Ok, Benny Waters comes by it more than honestly!

So your app only identified two items (plus, I assume, the Gene Harris Concord recording)?

Thanks for keeping the actual cut numbers out of it though it should really not be hard to figure out which two were ID'd.

On 1/8/2022 at 11:44 AM, Ken Dryden said:

1. Straighten Up and Fly Right, written by Nat King Cole

The R&Bish tenor sax doesn’t do anything for me, nor do the spoken words

This was the tune that I thought you might identify based on your AMG review of the record. I had to go back and look at it again to see if you had a different opinion in the review, but although this track was among 5 (out of 11 total) that you described in the review, you aren't being inconsistent.  Although you neglected to mention in the review that it didn't do anything for you - you just gave a neutral description of the track.

4. Blue Moon, by Richard Rodgers & Lorenz Hart

I like the tenor saxophonist and guitarist, not sure of the former, could the guitarist be Bucky Pizzarelli? The bassist and drummer are so much in the background that I can’t identify them.

Not Bucky.

13. “The Man I Love,” by George & Ira Gershwin

This swinging interpretation is likely in my record collection, but it sounds like a 1960s recording. No clue who it is, though the bassist could be Milt Hinton.

Not a 1960s recording, and I can say without fear of contradiction that you do not have it.

I would have enjoyed more variety instead of the focus on tenor saxophone almost exclusively, but that’s my opinion. I’m guessing that I may own 4 or 5 of the 13 tracks presented.

I did think a bit about the number of tenors but the fact is that #4s main axe is alto, and 6 and 10 feature altos, too, FWIW.

Thanks for joining in Ken, I do appreciate it even though you didn't like that many tracks. (And I'll take the "under" on your estimation of number of tracks you own.  Could be as few as 2.)

Late to the party here and avoiding all previous comments: 

Tracks 1-4: Respect the playing, but the style of these tracks isn't really my thing. No guesses. I'm sure there are some legends involved on these...

5 - Slide Hampton? Not that I recognize his playing but the arrangement sounds similar to something he'd do. And I really like the arrangement here. Electric bass so if it's Slide then it's a later recording date. 

6 - Sax player sounds similar to Jackie McLean. Whoever is on trumpet can play. Very fluid and a good sound - they are in the zone on this one, with a hat tip to the rhythm section who are keeping it tight. 

7 - Great tune. No guesses (well, is it George Coleman?), just looking forward to the reveal (or the comments if it's been ID'd already)

8 - Like the interplay b/w the sax & bass in the beginning. Another good song. Strong bass player. 

9 - Echo chamber recording, or inside of some grand hall - maybe a cave? One of those live Escardin tracks or wherever the French cave was? Nice grooving track. 

10 - Familiar track. Sounds like a 70s recording b/c of the bass. Percussion break is cool. I'm thinking of Stanley Cowell but not sure it's him. 

11 - Nice blues. Pinched sax sound. Helluva piano player. Could carry this all by themselves, which they do later on. Chicago player by chance? 

12 - Another tune with some nice piano playing. Kind of reminds me of James Booker...is it him? Nice melody and song. 

13 - Old school style playing. Webster-ish. 

All right, now I can read the other comments...enjoyed listening to these, thank you. 

8 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Late to the party here and avoiding all previous comments: 

Tracks 1-4: Respect the playing, but the style of these tracks isn't really my thing. No guesses. I'm sure there are some legends involved on these...

5 - Slide Hampton? Not that I recognize his playing but the arrangement sounds similar to something he'd do. And I really like the arrangement here. Electric bass so if it's Slide then it's a later recording date.  Nope not Slide.

6 - Sax player sounds similar to Jackie McLean. Whoever is on trumpet can play. Very fluid and a good sound - they are in the zone on this one, with a hat tip to the rhythm section who are keeping it tight. 

This is what I expected people to say.

7 - Great tune. No guesses (well, is it George Coleman?), just looking forward to the reveal (or the comments if it's been ID'd already) Nope.

8 - Like the interplay b/w the sax & bass in the beginning. Another good song. Strong bass player. 

9 - Echo chamber recording, or inside of some grand hall - maybe a cave? One of those live Escardin tracks or wherever the French cave was? Nice grooving track. It is a live recording and in France, so at least 1/2 a point for that. 

10 - Familiar track. Sounds like a 70s recording b/c of the bass. Percussion break is cool. I'm thinking of Stanley Cowell but not sure it's him. 

11 - Nice blues. Pinched sax sound. Helluva piano player. Could carry this all by themselves, which they do later on. Chicago player by chance? Nope. Not even American.

12 - Another tune with some nice piano playing. Kind of reminds me of James Booker...is it him? Nice melody and song.

This has been ID'd. Not Booker. 

13 - Old school style playing. Webster-ish. 

All right, now I can read the other comments...enjoyed listening to these, thank you. 

Thanks for joining in, glad you liked at least some of the tunes!

Just now, Dan Gould said:

Thanks for joining in, glad you liked at least some of the tunes!

Yeah, good stuff.

Regarding that McLean, I was listening to some tracks of his this morning and #6 sax sounded pretty similar. 

I now see Gene Harris and Percy France got ID'd. Looking forward to learning who the pianist is on 11. Especially since they're not American. 

Also glad I got a half point for locale and live recording on 9. I'll quit while I'm ahead on that and let others ID it totally. 

Hopefully a couple more people jump in but in the interests of trying to run the table to the greatest extent possible (and perhaps  at least try to be competitive with my friend Mr. Felser as far as # of discussion posts go  ;)  )  I intend to go whole hog with hints on or around January 20. Something I've never really done before, save for the odd one or two tracks.

Edited by Dan Gould

On 1/12/2022 at 5:50 PM, Dan Gould said:

Hopefully a couple more people jump in but in the interests of trying to run the table to the greatest extent possible (and perhaps  at least try to be competitive with my friend Mr. Felser as far as # of discussion posts go  ;)  )  I intend to go whole hog with hints on or around January 20. Something I've never really done before, save for the odd one or two tracks.

It's quality, not quantity  that counts.  That Felser guy is a goofball.  He had the Pointer Sisters and even the freakin' Carpenters on his BFT.  All those posts he got were probably insulted listeners telling him off!

1. I was going to say it's Eddie Jefferson, but it's not him. I should know his music better. The beginning of the track had a Duke Ellington feel. 

2. I like it. Junior Mance?

3. More dirty blues. Swing combo blasting away. 

4. I should know this.

5. 1970s. Bob Brookmeyer?

6. So similar to the previous track! Sonny Criss?

7. Drawing a blank. 

8. Drawing a blank. 

9. Drawing a blank. The tenor's identity is at the tip of my tongue.

10. Well, you needn't. Can't say I like this interpretation.

11. A nice blues by the masters.

12. Is this an American band? Feels kind of "tribute-like".

13. The Man I Love. Man, it's my own shortcoming, but I am so bad on the tenor players who came up in the late 1930s-1940s. I was going to say Don Byas, then I even heard some Zoot Sims there, so I give up.

Overall, this is the most blues-heavy BFT.

17 hours ago, Dmitry said:

13. The Man I Love. Man, it's my own shortcoming, but I am so bad on the tenor players who came up in the late 1930s-1940s. I was going to say Don Byas, then I even heard some Zoot Sims there, so I give up.

Overall, this is the most blues-heavy BFT.

Thanks for your thoughts Dmitry. #13 was identified as Percy France, but I like your comparison to Don Byas, as Percy's first significant gig was with Bill Doggett, who stated that while Percy was at the time, of a generation to go the way of the more popular honking and screaming tenors, his playing was more sophisticated and he specifically referenced Don Byas.

And yes, blues-heavy but its very rare that one of mine doesn't fit into the "blues-heavy" zone.

On 1/12/2022 at 5:50 PM, Dan Gould said:

OK so let's start the hints by pointing out that jsngrey used Shazam to ID Bill Easley and Benny Waters. I would think anyone could ID track #s and with a little bit of time perusing discogs, give full info.  

(OK not really a hint, but an invite to complete the hack and finish the IDs.)