BFT 214 Link a dink and Discussion

Dan Gould

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, tkeith said:

You say Potato, I say "no thanks, I'll have the rice."  To be fair, given Jackie's time in academia, that's a pretty extensive list.

OK one more then, to help narrow it down. 

He had a burst of recordings then disappeared. He returned to recording recently - to some notice on this board.

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

John Board?!?!?!?!

Yes track No. 3 is Johnny Board.

Who was on an Argo record helmed by Sonny Stitt and Chuck Nessa had said that he once had plans, or at least a strong desire, to record him.  

I really wish he had given him the Eddie Johnson opportunity, maybe even more so because Eddie got a few other chances to record in his later years.  For Board playing jazz, its pretty much the Stitt record, and this one.

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The Christopher Halliday guy?

And a little Discogs-ing would reveal if that track is one of the "brothers" tracks.

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Teddy Edwards with Russell Garcia. Who knew?

Since you found that, might as well reveal the rest.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/jazz-variations-mw0000188163

Context threw me for a BIG loop on that one...I really do not much like Bill Watrous, nor would I have considered Russell Garcia for this one in a million years, much less with Teddy Edwards on board!

8 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Garcia draws a blank with me though.

Damn near (seemingly) ubiquitous on Verve in the 50s, also author of The Professional Composer/Arranger, a very useful and thorough book for its time (several times, actually).

Never really had his enthusiasm for his writing, but never any doubt about his skill sets.

23 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

And a little Discogs-ing would reveal if that track is one of the "brothers" tracks.

Apparently so...

ZWc.jpeg

Who knew?

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/jazz-variations-mw0000188163

Context threw me for a BIG loop on that one...I really do not much like Bill Watrous, nor would I have considered Russell Garcia for this one in a million years, much less with Teddy Edwards on board!

Damn near (seemingly) ubiquitous on Verve in the 50s, also author of The Professional Composer/Arranger, a very useful and thorough book for its time (several times, actually).

Never really had his enthusiasm for his writing, but never any doubt about his skill sets.

Unfortunately, while you have identified arranger/composer and the singular reason I had to give the record a chance, you have not identified the correct recording. Mine says recorded 1980 and has ten tracks.

11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Apparently so...

ZWc.jpeg

Who knew?

Would you look at that hair and those faces?  And per  discogs, Medeski was almost ten years from his next recording.

Just now, Dan Gould said:

Unfortunately, while you have identified arranger/composer and the singular reason I had to give the record a chance, you have not identified the correct recording. Mine says recorded 1980 and has ten tracks.

https://www.discogs.com/release/11276529-Russell-Garcia-Jazz-Variations

Looks like this is your record:

ZWc.jpeg

ZWc.jpeg

Again, who knew? But Discogs has/had a copy from an American seller, so before too long, I will!

The power of Teddy!

Saw Richard sit in with James Williams, Bill Pierce, John Lockwood and Billy Higgins at The Willow.  With James' permission, I taped that night.  Lyle Mays sat in on a tune, as well.  Couple of years later, my Dad caught a night featuring Christopher, and 60 Minutes was there to film it (believe Billy Higgins was on the throne that night, as well).  Kid could play, but once the youth wore off, people rapidly lost interest.  Last I knew he was a HS band director.  Oddly, I now live in his home town.

34 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Saw Richard sit in with James Williams, Bill Pierce, John Lockwood and Billy Higgins at The Willow.  With James' permission, I taped that night.  Lyle Mays sat in on a tune, as well.  Couple of years later, my Dad caught a night featuring Christopher, and 60 Minutes was there to film it (believe Billy Higgins was on the throne that night, as well).  Kid could play, but once the youth wore off, people rapidly lost interest.  Last I knew he was a HS band director.  Oddly, I now live in his home town.

When you think about it, it's interesting that Novus didn't go for the brothers together, perhaps to match the Harper Brothers schtick. Richard is to me the more appealing player but I guess he stopped sometime after.

As for his more famous brother, he makes it out that without Novus' backing (the label went out of business(?)), he didn't have the gigs so easily and found himself in academia.

No idea what became of Richard.  As for the Novus connection, it's plausible, but the reality is, a Jackie clone in his 20s is far less appealing to the masses than one in his teens.  Always wondered what he would have sounded like if he'd committed finding his own sound.  Had all the chops, but I have most of Jackie's stuff, and I prefer the original.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

When you think about it, it's interesting that Novus didn't go for the brothers together, perhaps to match the Harper Brothers schtick. Richard is to me the more appealing player but I guess he stopped sometime after.

As for his more famous brother, he makes it out that without Novus' backing (the label went out of business(?)), he didn't have the gigs so easily and found himself in academia.

Saw Christopher Hollyday at Penn's Landing in the late 80's/early 90's, and he was quite good, though quite Jackie-ish.  Brad Mehldau had to deal with a Dolphy-at-the-Five-Spot level out of tune piano, and successfully changed his approach on the fly from long, flowing solo lines to compact Cedar Walton-like lines to compensate.

16 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Interesting - I’d recognised Wofford and Chuck Findley but just couldn’t place it. Even suspected that it was something on Discovery. Grrr !

Looks like you gave some thought to some tracks, wish you had jumped in with a rundown of your reactions. 

BTW it's funny that we have the "didn't achieve heights of fame" brothers ID'd but still an oh-fer on the ones that toured the world and made fine records.

And no one wants to figure out the Hal Singer track?