BFT 214 Link a dink and Discussion

Dan Gould

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok well I think that one place a thread shouldn't get derailed is BFTs. Can we stick with the question at hand?

Brothers, not as young as the Hollydays, not old as the Heaths/Farmers/Jones/etc.  This ain't rocket science and to give one more clue seems redonkelous.

17 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Ok well I think that one place a thread shouldn't get derailed is BFTs. Can we stick with the question at hand?

Dan, keep in mind that the derailments really run up the thread counts, one of your stated goals.  You're up over 100 now!

Edited by felser

Man, the convo in this thread ain't easy to follow. So far I think the tally is:

1 - Bill Easley with the album linked to its All Music review that KD wrote

3 - John Board from I don't know the album

4 - Is this the Benny Waters track?

5 - Russell Garcia with the track linked to YT. I like this one better the first time I heard it. On follow up listening it's kind of meh. Unfortunately. 

6 - Richard Hollyday doing his McLean impression on the album that's pictured in the above post (right? I actually have no idea)  

7 - Capt. Growls but I'm not sure whose alias that is. 

9 - Frank Foster & George Arvanitis live in France somewhere

10 - Well you Needn't...this has to be the Clayton Bros correct? James Spaulding on alto ID'd. 

11 - Is this the Hal Singer track? Whoever recorded it shortchanged the sax player with this sound. I just keep thinking "Take some sudafed and advil and come back in 20 mins" 

12 - Gene Harris' Little Light

13 - Percy France

Track 8 is remaining a mystery so far right? 

1 minute ago, Dub Modal said:

Man, the convo in this thread ain't easy to follow. So far I think the tally is:

1 - Bill Easley with the album linked to its All Music review that KD wrote

Correct.

3 - John Board from I don't know the album

Correct.

4 - Is this the Benny Waters track?

Correct.

5 - Russell Garcia with the track linked to YT. I like this one better the first time I heard it. On follow up listening it's kind of meh. Unfortunately. 

Correct.

6 - Richard Hollyday doing his McLean impression on the album that's pictured in the above post (right? I actually have no idea)  

Christopher Hollyday is the alto-playing brother who sounds like Jackie Mac. Richard is the less well-known trumpeter that a couple of people liked better.

7 - Capt. Growls but I'm not sure whose alias that is. 

This is very difficult to ID, but here goes with a hint: He's no longer playing jazz professionally but he incorporates jazz into his current profession, and the NYT profiled him in 2017 and referred to him with his formal first name, Nathaniel. 

9 - Frank Foster & George Arvanitis live in France somewhere

Correct.

10 - Well you Needn't...this has to be the Clayton Bros correct? James Spaulding on alto ID'd. 

Not the Clayton Brothers. Another tough one due to the obscurity of the recording.

11 - Is this the Hal Singer track? Whoever recorded it shortchanged the sax player with this sound. I just keep thinking "Take some sudafed and advil and come back in 20 mins" 

Correct it is Hal Singer. He's the leader too, not the pianist who solos first.

12 - Gene Harris' Little Light

Correct.

13 - Percy France

Correct.

Track 8 is remaining a mystery so far right? 

Tracks 2 and 8 are mysteries. 

Hint for Track 2: he's a repeat from one of the other tracks. Not that the pianist has been ID'd.

Allright - it's the pianist on the Percy France track

2 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

So 8 is likely to be the Clayton Brothers.  Bass is recorded up front, so that would make sense.  Perhaps Save Yourself for Me from Siblingity based on length?

Yes 8 is the Clayton Brothers but its not that tune or recording.

2 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Nice clue, sent me right to the Percy France site for research.  Sir Charles Thompson on 2?

Nope. None of that record has Sir Charles as the only soloist - plus six tracks per side, no space for such an extended piece.