Schumann Piano Music

My taste in classical music tends to be baroque or earlier, and Debussy/Ravel and later.

As a result, there are massive swaths of the classical and romantic periods that I've not explored, Chopin being the main exception.

I recently heard a piano piece that captured my attention.  It had what sounded to me a very "Americana" sound. The harmonies reminded me of more introspective Scott Joplin pieces like "Solace."  

I found out that the piece was by Schumann.  I don't remember the title, or whether it was one movement of a larger piece.

At any rate, I am curious if anyone understands what I mean about the Americana/Scott Joplin aspect of Schumann, and if whatever I was picking up on is a general Schumann characteristic, or exclusive to this one piece.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

TtK,

I love Schumann's music, and what you're describing doesn't ring any bells -- for me, at least.

I'm no expert, but I'd wager that the "Americana"-like sounds you heard were the result of a particular pianist's interpretation, rather than something inherent in one of Schumann's compositions.