Monk "Les Liasons Dangereus"

Gheorghe

Barry Harris recorded for MPS as well. I maintain that it could - or even should - have happened (Monk recording for the label). Let's say three or four trio albums, a big band date scored by Francy Boland and a quartet session with Lucky Thompson. Maybe also a misguided attempt involving some synths (tellingly marked as "rejected" in the discographies). 

52 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Barry Harris recorded for MPS as well. I maintain that it could - or even should - have happened (Monk recording for the label). Let's say three or four trio albums, a big band date scored by Francy Boland and a quartet session with Lucky Thompson. Maybe also a misguided attempt involving some synths (tellingly marked as "rejected" in the discographies). 

Final sentence - funny!

10 hours ago, mikeweil said:

As much as I appreciate Nelson - he was not the perfect choice for Monk.

it is as close as we came to an Esquivel album of Monk tunes, so I love it for that very reason.  It is the Monk space-age bachelor pad album that should have been released in 1959, but didn't come out until 1968 or whatever.  

It should have been a Jimmy Smith album, but then it wouldn't have gotten made, period. So it ends up being what it is, which is a record of Monk playing quite well with am L.A. studio band playing kinda rush-job sounding Oliver Nelson charts.

Not that it was without influence, though!

IIRC, the stereo separation is so severe that the Monk is the only thing in the center.  Everything else is mixed hard left or right.

As a result, you can remove Monk's piano playing entirely and replace him with a different pianist. 

Or Jimmy Smith.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• 3 weeks later...