Parker & Gillespie footage (DuMont TV show) in colour

romualdo

not sure if this has already been mentioned but I've just come across a "colour" version (YouTube) of the Earl Wilson Show featuring Leonard Feather & Charlie/Dizzy both receiving Downbeat awards then the quintet playing Hot House. I've been aware of the B&W version for years & actually have it on DVD.

Has this been artificially colourised or is it original? Seeing comments purporting both versions

dick hyman was a giant. huge respect from all the other giants of the day. this is amazing early dumont rca color test, kine-scope....

Please don't colorize this. It looks ridiculous and is an incredible distraction.

Colour or not, I remember the exitement of us all when it was advertised to be shown at a "Jazz Film Week" organized at "Volkshochschule Stöbergasse" (in 1050 Vienna) back then. 

Bird and Diz are great, but that grinnin´ drummer and that jumping bass player look silly and it´s outright poor drumming at least for a be bop group. It sounds more like a Gene Krupa styled drumming, not fitting to the music of Bird and Diz. 
Dick Hyman is "okay", but it´s more a conservative style, not really bop piano. But a good pianist sure. I heard him also on a track "Honeysuckle Rose" from about 1950 which appears as the only Dick Hyman track on an LP of Birdland Broadcast "Miles Davis - Stan Getz at their rare of all rarest performances" (Kings of Jazz , Italy). That´s also some neat oldstyled piano). 
But on the film you don´t even see him, you only see his hands......

Here the cover of the LP Davis-Getz, with that one short trio version of Dick Hyman on "Honeysuckle Rose". The pianist on all other tracks is Tadd Dameron . 

Herunterladen (3).jpg

Edited by Gheorghe

1 minute ago, Quasimado said:

It's not perfect, but It's a pick-up group in the early days of TV. We're lucky to have it!

You're getting a bit mean in your old age, Gheorghe <_<.

oh sorry, I don´t want to be mean. I repeated only what I said then. We saw it and were all prepared for a rhythm section of maybe Roy Haynes or Max Roach or Kenny Clark, a bassist maybe like Tommy Potter or Curley Russell if not Ray Brown or Mingus, and maybe if not Bud, then sure Al Haig on piano....

I don´t want to become mean and put anything down now, in any case not in my age where you get more tolerant, but that was my first impression then, our first impression then, during a time when more modern music from Trane to electric Miles was on and Charlie Parker nevertheless was our "old hero". And many of us wanted to learn the basics of bop as a springboard for further developements and mostly the drummers and drum-lovers  were disapointed, 

So please @Quasimado, and all of you, I beg your pardon for an obviously harsh comment....don´t want to hurt nobody....:mellow: