Tim Berne Corner

Guy Berger

We’ve had a few other threads about Tim’s releases and ensembles but they are scattershot, so I started this one and will link to the others.

Recently I listened to Open, Coma for the first time - I believe this is the only large ensemble recording Tim has made.  It’s really good.  Lots of great Marc Ducret on this one.

Previous Berne Thread 1

Previous Berne Thread 2

Previous Berne Thread 3

Edited by Guy Berger

Thanks for starting a Tim Berne thread.  

I have to admit that, except for Broken Shadows, I have somehow lost focus on what he has been doing during the last few decades.   But I really did appreciate his earlier work with Science Fiction and Bloodcount.     Some of that music is really mesmerizing.   What should I listen to today, other than Broken Shadows, to catch up with Tim Berne?

On 1/6/2022 at 7:08 PM, John L said:

Thanks for starting a Tim Berne thread.  

I have to admit that, except for Broken Shadows, I have somehow lost focus on what he has been doing during the last few decades.   But I really did appreciate his earlier work with Science Fiction and Bloodcount.     Some of that music is really mesmerizing.   What should I listen to today, other than Broken Shadows, to catch up with Tim Berne?

IMHO the ECM work is very good.  I especially like the two Torns (Prezens, Sun of Goldfinger), the first Formanek (Rub & Spare Change), and the 2nd-4th Snakeoils.  The Snakeoils on Intakt are great too.

15 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

IMHO the ECM work is very good.  I especially like the two Torns (Prezens, Sun of Goldfinger), the first Formanek (Rub & Spare Change), and the 2nd-4th Snakeoils.  The Snakeoils on Intakt are great too.

Thanks.  I will follow up. 

16 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Ditto on the Snake Oils. I think I like them more even than the 80s stuff.

• 2 months later...