Chubby Jackson in "The Psychedelic Priest"

sgcim

9 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

He is on recordings with Woody Herman's Herd up to May, 1946, and then again in August and October, 1948 (which matches the details in his bio entry in John Chilton's Who's Who of Jazz). He also played and recorded with Woody Herman for several monthse during his "Mars" period in 1952/53 and is on the "The Herd Rides Again" album for Everest in 1958.

John Chilton's bio also says (referring to the mid-50s) he "was a resident compere on a childrens' TV programme". That should be something to watch too ... ;) (anyone seen anything on Youtube?).

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Chubby's role in the greatest Herman bands secures his place in jazz history, the equivalent of Wellman Braud IMO.

Please, no one say "Who's Wellman Braud?" :D

Edited by BillF

26 minutes ago, sgcim said:

It is an unwritten law of Organissimo with some people- any jazz musician who is white is suspect.

Chubby Jackson and Dave Tough/Don Lamond kicked themHerman Herds' asses. maybe more than did Jake Hanna and Chuck Andrus. I do, however, suspect them of having been white. But that's ok, an ass kicked has no color.

Still, Chubby Jackson's "shouts of encouragement" were just weird - and wired.

Considering @Big Beat Steve answer to something I said...... thinking about it know and comparing his role with Howard Rumsey, sure they had a talent of getting groups together and especially Chubby Jackson´s additional role of a kind of "cheerleader" and sure Chubby Jackson kickin´them Herman Herd´s asses @JSngry assured his role in "jazz history" from a larger point of view.......

Nevertheless, or is it my mistake of looking back at things that happened before I was born, I doubt jazz bass students of my generation would have been lecturedmuch about Chubby Jackson at those "Jazz Conservatories".  Maybe that´s why our disc collections are a bit smaller than those of big listeners. At some point even I played bass and would have developed further but my "first love" as an instrument (piano) let me abandone that plan. I´ll write a new separate topic about that period when I get it together with my poorer writing in english...
For the students or among the "gang" of guys I was part of, 40´s jazz bass was mostly O.P., Ray Brown, and so on. And for straight walking and keepin time maybe Tommy Potter, Curley Russell, Al McKibbon...

When I look at so called historical  DB Reader´s Polls, some who were "top" then, are not mentioned much today or sometimes I don´t even know their names. 
It happens also in more recent periods where sometimes young artists get top billing for short periods and then they disappear ....