Charles Brackeen RIP

Chuck Nessa

That's awful - RIP Charles

I was communicating with Dennis only last month (December 2021) & mentioned Charles - here's his response

Another musician whom you’ve collaborated with & I am very fond of is Charles Brackeen - do you still keep in touch with him. I presume he’s still with us though due to his health issues (mental) he has not been able to play for some time now.
He was declared dead by one of the owners of Silkheart Records, Lars-Olof Gustafsson maybe 15 years ago.  After I had mourned his death, one evening my phone rang, and a familiar voice said, "You thought I was dead, didn't you?". I jumped out of my skin!  So anyway, after that I tried to keep up with him, but his life was a mess and I could not keep up. I don't think anyone, except maybe the L.A. County coroner knows if he is still alive, which I doubt he is. One day I'll write about him and about his state of mind, which was a really different kind of mind than I've ever encountered.  Let's just say that he was interesting and magical.

His album Rhythm X or how it was titled, was one of my favourites when I got deeply into 60´s avantgarde as a teenager. During that time it was rare and completly unknown to me but the guy who had a lot of "Free Jazz records" let me make a cassete, together with Don Cherry´s album "Complete Communion". I was a fan of Don Cherry and had asked him to give me as much Don Cherry stuff as possible. 

I later bought the Mosaic Box of Cliff Jordan mostly for the including of Charles Brackeen´s album. 

20 minutes ago, John L said:

RIP.  It is getting to the point that I dread looking at the Organissimo board in the morning.  So many deaths. :(

But they are not yet yours, so...be thankful for that, right?

Now having said that....2020 is getting off to a rough start...I hope it stops doing that pretty soon, please.