Khan Jamal (1946-2022)

clifford_thornton

2 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, that Dwight James album is good. I always dug his playing as well; saw him once with Jemeel Moondoc -- same band that recorded Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys (great) -- and possibly on another occasion I'm not flashing on at the moment.

We must've crossed paths! This was ca.2000-2002. They used to play in the old Jazz Gallery on Hudson St., if my memory is not fooling me. It was a very good band!

24 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, that Dwight James album is good. I always dug his playing as well; saw him once with Jemeel Moondoc -- same band that recorded Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys (great) -- and possibly on another occasion I'm not flashing on at the moment.

In believe we both saw him in 2018. Same night as the Nu Band with Mark Whitecage? Or a different vibes player? William & Hamid also played that night with 2 trumpeters IIRC

RIP.

Lots of love out there for Sounds of Liberation, Drum Dance, and Infinity, and people are getting hip to the 70s Steeplechases, but he made a number of very fine recordings for CIMP later in life in the company of compatriots like Byard Lancaster and Odean Pope that I hope will one day get some equal attention. It seems these days that the whole of an artist's life isn't appreciated as much as it should be. 

Damn another great musician :( I really dig his playing. Love his funky free music. Time to spin Infinity once more in his honor. Sounds of Liberation was such a revelation to me. Love that band and that date

Edited by Pim

3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

saw him once with Jemeel Moondoc -- same band that recorded Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys (great) -- 

I saw this band as well, probably around 2002 in Washington, DC. It was an excellent concert, and Jamal's playing was the highlight - all these overtones...

Love his trio album with Pierre Dorge and Johnny Dyani on SteepleChase, one of my most-listend jazz albums of the last 20 years or so.    

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

That was Bryan Carrott, great player as well.

Carrott played live and on record with my friend Ruth Naomi Floyd, and I had a really interesting conversation with him during the recording sessions for one of her albums.  Amazing player, I've never heard him captured nearly as well on record as he can play live.  Jamal was a favorite of mine, have enjoyed so much of his work over the past five decades.  Never got to see him live, even though I'm in the Philly area.