Midnight Blue begat Moon Dance?

medjuck

I've never heard Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue before (believe it or not) but when it came on the radio this morning I thought I was hearing the intro to Van Morrison 's Moondance!   Some of the changes seem the same too.  Midnight Blue was released a couple of years before Moondance and since Van has always been a jazz fan I presume that he (unlike me) had heard it.  Seems to me that Kenny has as much of a claim as Horace Silver has against Steely Dan. 

• 7 months later...
On 1/12/2022 at 11:50 PM, medjuck said:

I've never heard Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue before (believe it or not) but when it came on the radio this morning I thought I was hearing the intro to Van Morrison 's Moondance!   Some of the changes seem the same too.  Midnight Blue was released a couple of years before Moondance and since Van has always been a jazz fan I presume that he (unlike me) had heard it.  Seems to me that Kenny has as much of a claim as Horace Silver has against Steely Dan. 

Not only the intro, but the melodies leading into the bridges of both tunes are similar.