Ronnie Spector 1943-2021

felser

When I lived in Beantown, they used to do free summer outdoor concerts at Government Center, which was Scollay Square before the sad destruction of the West End.

I worked in one of the buildings that was part of the West End Urban Renewal project, the State Services building.  This imposing brutalist structure was designed by Paul Rudolph, who is better known for his Sarasota mid-century modern homes.  While I have mixed feelings about brutalism, the destruction of the West End impedes my ability to assess the building purely on aesthetic terms.  I once described it as a fascist headquarters as if designed by M.C. Escher.

At any rate, I was finishing my shift, and just as I stepped onto Staniford Street, I heard:  Boom ba-boom POP Boom ba-boom POP.  As I walked up the hill on Staniford Street, I listened.  I then heard Ronnie Spector:  "The night we met I knew I needed you so..."  She was performing that day.  I continued on Staniford, and made a left on Cambridge, walking toward Government Center.  Ronnie kept singing. The song ended as I walked through the turnstile to take the Green Line.  My walk was perfectly timed with "Be My Baby;" it accompanied me the whole way.

Edited by Teasing the Korean