Album covers of musicians with the "wrong" instruments

Dmitry

On 17.1.2022 at 5:42 PM, HutchFan said:

This is a promo photo instead of an album cover, but it's still meets the "wrong instrument" criteria:

duke-ellington-1934-CWB1-BT.jpg

Reminds me of a funny situation.
Once when I was maybe 20, I had a girl friend who wanted to carry my bass fiddle through the village. (Sure, I was a jazz-only musician, but we were on holiday at a mountain village and when the locals organized a party with austrian folk music and dance, they asked me to play with them, so I had to get my bass fiddle to the location for the performance, but my then girl friend, really nicely dressed for the event and an eye catcher for the locals and turists with her long blond hair and green eyes  said "I want to carry the bass fiddle" (I didn´t have  a bag for the fiddle) , so I begged her to not do it because a girl shouldn´t carry such a large instrument, but in vain, she wanted to be seen with the bass fiddle so I had to let her do it. 

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Reminds me of a funny situation.
Once when I was maybe 20, I had a girl friend who wanted to carry my bass fiddle through the village. (Sure, I was a jazz-only musician, but we were on holiday at a mountain village and when the locals organized a party with austrian folk music and dance, they asked me to play with them, so I had to get my bass fiddle to the location for the performance, but my then girl friend, really nicely dressed for the event and an eye catcher for the locals and turists with her long blond hair and green eyes  said "I want to carry the bass fiddle" (I didn´t have  a bag for the fiddle) , so I begged her to not do it because a girl shouldn´t carry such a large instrument, but in vain, she wanted to be seen with the bass fiddle so I had to let her do it. 

Funny story, Gheorghe!  :) 

Where’s that “Jazz in Holland” cover (or whatever it is called) — the one with the black guys they pulled off the street and posed with instruments they’d each probably never held a day I their life.

The actual players on the record were all white (and Europeans) iirc — and the trombone player in the pic on the cover is the tell, because he clearly has no idea how in the world to hold a trombone while playing it.

The LP dates from around 1967, and looks a bit like an Impulse! cover, slightly (in terms of the overall color scheme). I’m sure a number of you remember this.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...