Jon G. Allen Trio Live in Concert [video] 2019

clifford_thornton

I thought this might be of interest to some of you here... we just got the finished/edited video back over the holidays. Mods, if you want to move this to another subforum, that's fine -- wasn't sure where it fit best.

--

In November 2019 I put together a recording session and small private rehearsal/concert at Brooklyn's Scholes Street Studio for my dad's 75th birthday, featuring him on piano (and compositions) joined by esteemed bassist Ken Filiano and drummer Andrew Drury. He has been performing and writing music for decades but this was his first time working in New York with "city cats." I'd been listening to Ken and Andrew separately for years, but seeing them link up in alto saxophonist Alan Braufman's group (with Cooper-Moore, piano and James Brandon Lewis, tenor saxophone) sealed the deal. Before November 9, my dad hadn't played with either musician and the resulting trio was a rousing success. 

It was my hope that this event would spur another concert or two in New York in 2020 -- a festival was sketched out, among other things. COVID-19 had other plans, of course. Nevertheless we were able to get the recordings remastered by Ryan Edwards for eventual CD release, and videographer/engineer (and venue co-owner) René Pierre Allain edited and synced the video so that visual documentation of this momentous concert is now available for anyone to watch. Initially we were not sure whether to have it filmed but I am very glad that we did.

Part one of the concert is here and part two is here. The music was performed as one continuous set but I elected to split it so that it could be viewed in chunks. A few tracks have been edited out as we were unable to get a satisfactory master take.

As for the CD, whether we do it ourselves or an interested label wants to get in touch (hint hint!), the wait won't be too long. And hopefully we can get my dad back to New York for another performance in the future, once things are a little less hairy.

Enjoy!

Edited by clifford_thornton
spelling