Big Joe Turner Is Truth

JSngry

a tale of two tv mamas

Big Joe Turner - TV Mama (1954) - YouTube

Big Joe Turner - 01 - T.V. Mama ("Turns On The Blues", 1970) - YouTube

"imperfect" maybe but still astounding

Hampton Hawes All Stars ft Big Joe Turner Live at Memory Lane 1970 - YouTube

Hampton Hawes - Harry 'Sweets' Edison - Sonny Criss - Teddy Edwards - Leroy Vinnegar - Bobby Thompson - Drums....

Special Guest: Big Joe Turner

Recorded live at the Memory Lane Steak House, from the T.V. Series "Jazz on Stage", Los Angeles, 1970

Edited by MomsMobley

I love Big Joe Turner's outputs on Pablo.  I admit that they are basically from his declining years, no producing/planning, just loose sloppy bunch of jams, but somehow feel very good.  My personal favorite is Life Ain't Easy.  Roy Eldridge's outburst is well worth the price of admission IMHO.

One of the things I'll always regret is having to turn down Big Joe Turner's 'audition' gig at Tramps back in the 80s. I did a gig with Rudy Williams (Mingus' cousin) in the city, and he had Al Jabaz Williams on keyboard, and Charles "Honeyboy" Otis on drums and vocals. I still think "Honey Boy" was the greatest vocalist/drummer ever.

Anyway "Honey Boy" really dug my playing, so he invited me down to do the gig at Tramps with Big Joe Turner. I couldn't make it, because da boss man on my steady gig threatened to fire me if I didn't make his gig, which was the same night. The Joe Turner gig turned out to be a complicated situation: the artist formerly known as Fasstrack wound up doing the gig that night on guitar, but a famous songwriter who was at the gig that night, didn't approve of him for some reason, and he didn't get the gig. The guy that got the gig was a music store owner on LI, who passed away a few years ago. Joe Turner passed away six months after that Tramps gig, and my steady gig went on for about ten years after that, so that was some consolation.