Bill Evans Dancers with the Bill Evans Trio

Hardbopjazz

Just to clear up some inevitable confusion — it appears that the lead dancer and choreographer of this troupe is also named Bill Evans (see video down below).

BUT, indeed, it would also appear that our Bill Evans was involved in the proceedings above, according to the YouTube description of the video above

Choreography: Bill Evans

Music: Arranged and recorded in live performance by Bill Evans Jazz Trio (Bill Evans, Joe LaBarbara and Mark Johnson)

Lighting; David Gotwald Costumes: Wade Madsen and Taffy's

Videography: Erik Whitmyre

Performers: Rachel Brumer, Jim Coleman, Bill Evans, Shirley Jenkins, Gregg Lizenbery, Debbie Poulsen

Performed at the Seattle Center Playhouse, September 2, 1980, as part of the Bumbershoot Festival.

Mixin' It Up was my second collaboration with Bill Evans, the legendary jazz pianist. We worked together in 1978 on work called Double Bill and then again in 1979 on this collage. When it was premiered at Meany Hall, University of Washington, the Bill Evans Trio were on stage with us and performed live. I'm not sure if I have footage of one of those concerts, but I'm searching my collection of thousands of VHS tapes to see if I can find one. After the initial performances with live music, we performed to recordings made in those performances and took the piece on the road. We danced in all over the country for a couple of years, with several different casts. Other dancers who performed the work in BEDCO tours included Regina DeCosse, Llory Wilson, Wade Madsen, Larry Byrne and Sheryl Sedlecek. — Bill Evans, April 1, 2021

https://www.evanssomaticdance.org/

Here’s more about the dancer Bill Evans (from the same YouTube account)…

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Yusef Abdul Lateef (born William Emanuel Huddleston; October 9, 1920 – December 23, 2013)...Yusef Abdul Lateef (born William Emanuel Huddleston; October 9, 1920 – December 23, 2013) ...Lateef was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee as William Emanuel Huddleston. His family moved, in 1923, to Lorain, Ohio, and again in 1925, to Detroit, Michigan, where his father changed the family's name to "Evans".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusef_Lateef