Meat Loaf RIP

sidewinder

I was the target audience for 'Bat Out Of Hell' as a 16yo. Still vividly remember an amazing OGWT performance with Ellen Foley, I think. Can't argue with that voice and stagecraft. He'll be remembered, that's certain

Edited by mjazzg
correct Kim to Ellen Foley

Sad to hear, and my wife will be more upset when I tell her later this morning.  Wasn't a huge fan but I did play the hell out of that first breakthrough LP.  I also have to recall that there was a time when the NYT insisted on maintaining their stylebook and would refer to him as "Mr. Loaf" in articles, after establishing his full name, Meat Loaf.  Gave me a chuckle but I guess they have relaxed that at some point, the current obit sticks with "Meat Loaf".

Edited by Dan Gould

1 hour ago, bresna said:

I always enjoyed "Paradise By The Dashboard Light", especially when it came out that Phil Rizutto recorded his bit unaware of how it was going to be used.

It’s been decades since I heard any Meatloaf (probably not since college). I used to go see the midnight showing of Rocky Horror a dozen times my senior year in high school (mid-80’s), and a few times in college — and they used to show a couple Meatloaf promo videos (and a couple by Tim Curry too) — but I’m sure I haven’t heard (or seen) any of it since the early 90’s.

If anyone wants to hear, the Phil Rizutto bit starts a little after the 3:30 mark…

Edited by Rooster_Ties

He always seemed to do a lot of performances for the British Royal Family. Prince Chazz must have been a fan. I remember him being in that insane ‘It’s a Royal Knockout’ event back in the 1980s.

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I was the target audience for 'Bat Out Of Hell' as a 16yo. Still vividly remember an amazing OGWT performance with Kim Foley, I think. Can't argue with that voice and stagecraft. He'll be remembered, that's certain

Didn’t see that one but I certainly remember that male/female vocal extravaganza which seemed even longer than ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ running for quite a few weeks on TOTP.

Edited by sidewinder

I'm with Felser on this and for me "Christian" has totally nothing to do with it. Like most pop/rock/schlock of the post-commodification era, it's just a bunch of exaggerated celebration of (at best) mediocrity. Institutional trap-laying for mental and spiritual (as in non-religious) possibility-shrinking.

But apparently a lot of people like that sort of thing.

I like a good meatloaf sandwich, though. But that is not this.

When I was ... I am guessing 13, that album popped off the radio like nothing I had ever heard, and certainly anything else on the radio at the same time.  I think you can see why it took so long to find a label.  It deserved the success it had and I wouldn't call Mr. Aday any sort of "mediocrity". 

Anything beyond that one album, I got no dog in that fight.

9 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I used to go see the midnight showing of Rocky Horror a dozen times my senior year in high school (mid-80’s), and a few times in college

I saw the movie sometime in the late 70s IIRC. I just checked and it' from 75, so it could be. And with Susan Sarandon in what I imagine as one of her first roles.

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

John, are you speaking from the Christian’s perspective, or are referring to his music’s esthetic?

Dmitry, both, thanks for asking the question.   But I was mainly thinking about the aesthetics of the music when I made the post.  No accident that punk (followed by new wave) exploded onto the scene around that time.  Pure overblown schlock and exploitation to me in every regard.   I realize mileage for others varies greatly on this one.  I was in my early 20's and a year of college when that album hit. 

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

I'm with Felser on this and for me "Christian" has totally nothing to do with it. Like most pop/rock/schlock of the post-commodification era, it's just a bunch of exaggerated celebration of (at best) mediocrity. Institutional trap-laying for mental and spiritual (as in non-religious) possibility-shrinking.

I enjoyed  the recordings.

8 hours ago, felser said:

Despised the album and all it symbolized, then and now.  Sorry for any deaths, and 74 seems youngish these days.

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

+1 to both. RIP, speak no ill of the dead, and Meat Loaf had a good career, but I (b. 1957) could never stand either his music or stage act. Saw Rocky Horror Picture Show a couple of times (c. mid-'70s in cinema, c. late '90s on video), but either didn't notice or didn't recall (until reading this thread) that ML appeared in it.

Edited by T.D.

1 hour ago, Milestones said:

What Meatloaf did on record and on stage was theatre, and absolutely intended to be overblown.  

Agreed.  Overblown and was a trait of those times, which was why so many of us got off the rock train then.