Roy Brooks - The Free Slave CD reissue

felser

2 hours ago, felser said:

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/90351/roy-brooks/the-free-slave?mc_cid=018b59d7b5&mc_eid=d43870520b

Noticed this in the JazzMessengers newsletter.  Great album.  Don't know anything about the Japanese reissue company (Stone Ash Records).

Oh hell yes!!! Dusty Groove had a used copy of the 32 Jazz reissue for $25 that I ultimately passed on about five years ago.  I'll confess that I haven't bought from Jazz Messengers before, though I know a number of posters here swear by them.  Definitely picking this one up.

I used to order from Jazz Messengers. Always friendly & helpful. The problem (for me) is that the way they were shipping, our mail delivery person wouldn't leave the package because a signature was required. FWIW, Jazz Messengers was requesting the signature. They'd leave a slip in my (semi-rural, no delivery to the door) mail box. I would then have to drive downtown (20+ mile round trip) & stand in line at the post office to sign for it. Thus, haven't ordered from them since the pandemic began. 

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

I used to order from Jazz Messengers. Always friendly & helpful. The problem (for me) is that the way they were shipping, our mail delivery person wouldn't leave the package because a signature was required. 

Same thing here with the signatures, but I live within 2 miles of Post Office so not as much of a problem for me.  Bigger issues are international postage rate increases, which eliminated their free shipping with $90 or whatever order, and the major decrease injazz CD releases I want to buy.  It seems like jazz CD reissue programs have gone the way of the dodo bird except in Japan.

24 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Bonus tracks I would like to hear are the other cuts that were played at Left Bank and presumably recorded. I wonder who has the complete set of tapes - the Left Bank members (John Fowler) or Barney Fields?

Yeah, but you'd have to have legit rights to the tapes to do that. This one looks totally NOT that to me.

Nothing wrong with the music obviously, but I'm not sure about this release either...

A year or so ago I ordered Pete LaRoca's 'Turkish Women at the Bath' from CDJapan. The fact it was listed as a Japanese release, with a unique catalogue number (YZMS-1055), and that 'Tokuma Japan Communications' was referred to as 'label/distributor' had me assume that this was a brand new official release of this ultra-rare title. When it reached my doorstep it turned out it was the Fresh Sound (FSR-1631) of which I had been aware, albeit it with an OBI-strip for pseudo-exclusive effect.

Needless to say, I was not too happy with that purchase.

Edited by Mark13

8 hours ago, Harbour said:

Well at least it has the original cover, I hated the reimagined artwork 32 Jazz used as well as those strange digipaks.

+1, especially the Woody Shaw artwork.

Edited by felser

• 1 month later...