Kinda of a drag how the author skipped straight from The Bridge to the impulse! records...the RCA albums in-between those two points are much more interesting than The Bridge. I'd like to see them get more attention, even today.

Still, grateful that Sonny is still alive and talking!

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Kinda of a drag how the author skipped straight from The Bridge to the impulse! records...the RCA albums in-between those two points are much more interesting than The Bridge. I'd like to see them get more attention, even today.

The Bridge has a nice backstory. I can see why it's so popular among some sorts of jazz fan. Something to talk to people about. It also has no calypso tunes on, which I think a lot of people don't like. 

I agree with your view that those intervening RCAs are probably the 'other' consistent high plateau of Rollins' always mountainous career, after the pre-Bridge run.

Edited by Rabshakeh

The reviews of the time (that I've read), and some of the other literature, were all about Sonny took all that time off for THIS, and, wow, he's SO much better and fresher live (sound familiar?). It was not exactly "warmly received".

It took me a loooooong time to get to those other RCA albums in a coherent fashion, and I'm like, Our Man In Jazz? OUTSTANDING!!! Sonny Meets Hawk? MIND-BLOWING!!! Now's The Time? WHOA!!! and so forth. Never mind that one set of outtakes that French RCA got out before Sonny shut it down. Hell, I heard the mid-60s bootlegs before the "legit" albums.

All that stuff was OOP for the better part of the 70s, so for me it was (almost) all a mystery, a parallel Sonnyverse. And it's like, the narrative already started forming without the full history, and here we are.

Is that Complete RCA box still available for a good price? Because for me, that's the shit right there.

What's New is the album, and oddly enough, it was one of the first jazz LPs I bought. Found in my hometown music/piano store (back when that was a viable venture in a small town) where it had sat, apparently, since release. Still pondering how it got there...

But that was a fluke. Other than that reissue of The Bridge, the only 70s American issue of RCA Sonny was a 1979(!) partial (!) reissue of Now's The Time on the Quintessence label.

There was a French(?) series of two-fers that I used to see in Peaches in the mid-70s that looked great and cost even more.. 

Inconsistent, but great, music on those records.