Last track before you go to sleep

Larry Kart

hard to say. My "hour" of record listening is usually before dinner. First I come home after work, then we have coffee and talk and laugh together, and later I go into the other room and spin a CD, which I listen to very very closely , I mean really every aspect of it, and then it´s time for dinner. I have a demanding job and a family life and for more music I rather play myself. So I don´t really listen to music before it´s time to go to sleep. 
If I´m very exhausted and don´t want to figure to much out, it might be a routine album like the old Prestiges and BNs from the 50´s early 60´s ...... but more I like stuff that´s a bit more advanced or live recorded....

I'm a life-long insomniac. I find some gently funky music at low volumes really helps me get to sleep or to ease back in. Late 1950s hard bop is the exact right level for me since it generally has a decent mid tempo, enough funk, and few arrangements or sharp edges. Anything too outside, arranged or too danceable (whether boogaloo or smooth jazz) just makes things worse.

At the moment, I'm using Houston Person's High Notes, which are absolutely perfectly made for insomniacs. 

I put it on whatever Pandora channel I'm into at the time and leave it on. Sometimes I remember to set the TV timer to go off, but usually it just stays on until Brenda gets up to go pee, at which point she shuts if off.

But I don't much like falling asleep in silence, no sir, I don't much like it.

23 minutes ago, JSngry said:

But I don't much like falling asleep in silence, no sir, I don't much like it.

I naturally fall asleep in silence, being practically deaf when the hearing aids come out, and being a weird fellow (I'm told), one pillow goes below my head and one on top.

9 minutes ago, bresna said:

I have an air purifier/white noise generator. It's about the only way I can fall asleep some nights as the tinnitus can get pretty distracting otherwise.

I feel very fortunate that tinnitus is not a problem for me. My wife's uncle would benefit from hearing aids at least as much as I do but they can't distinguish between tinnitus and sounds you'd like to hear.

Edited by Dan Gould

No music for me. My neighborhood--and my house across the road from a state wildlife preserve (acres and acres of forest) is so quiet, punctuated by the wind in the trees, the occasional call of an owl. . . I just fall asleep with that gentle background.

Edited by jazzbo

13 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

...I could probably dig on some minimalist recordings that otherwise I find tough to listen to. 

The Brian Eno Pandora station is perfect for wake-nullification. It's not just Eno, but it's all "that type of thing".

But for the other side of Eno, you can get a "Here Come The Warm Jets" station and there THAT is.

The electronic/ambient musician Moby has issued music specifically to help people fall asleep. He released the first batch via free downloads but I can't seem to find those links anymore, so it must've been limited. There is a You Tube video with them all combined but I imagine the random ads pumped into the middle of it would kinda ruin the effect. :)

They are on Spotify if you use that service: https://open.spotify.com/album/136AocmGvmUjqNsvAhtfU5

Ah - here is the link where he used to give it away free but it doesn't look like it works... https://moby.com/journal/new-ambient-album-free-download/

I have fallen asleep listening to these Long Ambients by Moby but I didn't mean to. I was not in bed at the time. :)

Edited by bresna

11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Back in the day, those Denny Zeitlin Columbia records used to put me to sleep before one side was over, and quite unintentionally so.

That's the main reason I didn't spring for the select, actually, the memories of them inducing an involuntarily somnambulistic state.

Ouch!  :P  I like those LPs -- and not for their "somnabulistic" properties.   I suppose it's a case of de gustibus and all that.  

Incidentally, I never got the Select either.  But only because the vinyl seemed sufficient.

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Back in the day, those Denny Zeitlin Columbia records used to put me to sleep before one side was over, and quite unintentionally so.

That's the main reason I didn't spring for the select, actually, the memories of them inducing an involuntarily somnambulistic state.

You should check out the bonus-material on the Zeitlin Select -- most of it is a lot more spirited, occasionally 'bangy', and generally more 'progressive' than what was released at the time.  In fact, all the bonus tracks alone make for a great listen all by themselves -- and not something that would put me to sleep.

2 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Ouch!  :P  I like those LPs -- and not for their "somnabulistic" properties.   I suppose it's a case of de gustibus and all that.  

Incidentally, I never got the Select either.  But only because the vinyl seemed sufficient.

See above -- the bonus material is almost the highlight of the set, for me (and its otherwise quite a nice set, even without).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I've never not liked Zeitlin. I just stayed away from the records for the reason of past experiences. When I fell asleep, I was always liking the music well enough. So it was like, ok, let me wake up and try it again. Same thing.

So I figure maybe the guys trying to hypnotize me or something, you know, doing that shrink thing, which would be cool if mutual consent was involved. :g