Last track before you go to sleep

Larry Kart

17 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm a life-long insomniac. I find some gently funky music at low volumes really helps me get to sleep or to ease back in. Late 1950s hard bop is the exact right level for me since it generally has a decent mid tempo, enough funk, and few arrangements or sharp edges. Anything too outside, arranged or too danceable (whether boogaloo or smooth jazz) just makes things worse.

At the moment, I'm using Houston Person's High Notes, which are absolutely perfectly made for insomniacs. 

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

I put it on whatever Pandora channel I'm into at the time and leave it on. Sometimes I remember to set the TV timer to go off, but usually it just stays on until Brenda gets up to go pee, at which point she shuts if off.

But I don't much like falling asleep in silence, no sir, I don't much like it.

Ugh, I've always had a terrible time falling asleep. I tend to rely on tv to try to put me to sleep (TCM is good for this with no commercial interruptions, sans the commentary in between movies) but that usually ends when my wife wakes up around 4am to go to the bathroom too. She tolerates it to a degree (and she can fall asleep within minutes...I'm so jealous of that!) only because she knows my mind goes a mile a minute when it's dead silent, and I can't fall asleep. My fidgety legs (RLS) and restlessness always gives it away. 

Edited by Holy Ghost

4 hours ago, Holy Ghost said:

Ugh, I've always had a terrible time falling asleep. I tend to rely on tv to try to put me to sleep 

I find the flickery light difficult to deal with, but otherwise I feel your pain. The mind just goes off on its own cycle and you need to find something harmless on which to concentrate.

21 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I naturally fall asleep in silence, being practically deaf when the hearing aids come out, and being a weird fellow (I'm told), one pillow goes below my head and one on top.

I feel very fortunate that tinnitus is not a problem for me. My wife's uncle would benefit from hearing aids at least as much as I do but they can't distinguish between tinnitus and sounds you'd like to hear.

I also have bad hearing, but don´t wear a hearing aid. The only problem is I don´t hear hi frequenzies well, and I want to hear the snares and the cymbals louder. Sometimes studio recordings are not helpful for me, if they reduce the level of the high sounding parts of the drums. 
And I don´t hear hi notes very clearly. If a piano players gets up in the high register, the runs kinda peter off for my ears, 
But otherwise I don´t have many problems. Okay, many voices talking at the same time, impossible for me to understand, but in my job only one other person is allowed to say something at the same time. So there is no mess of voices. 
Police films, if the street noise or other noise is louder than the guy who talks. 

With pillows I also have a strange habit. I sleep under the pillow, at least I have to have the face and the nose out of the pillow, but the head and ears covered . 

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I find the flickery light difficult to deal with, but otherwise I feel your pain. The mind just goes off on its own cycle and you need to find something harmless on which to concentrate.

I have a chronic condition one of the symptoms of which is sleep disturbance, especially getting to sleep.  I do a meditation/relaxation before bed every day and haven't touched caffeine in 15 years. It helps but not always. Also, hardly any alcohol, in fact one or two drinks leads to a lot more disturbance than several.

Edited by mjazzg

I'd take a paid endorsement deal for Ambien. It's worked for me for a loooong time. There was a learning curve, like, yeah, there's a zone og high-ness you go into before actually falling asleep, and that zone is NOT for eating or other high-type behavior, it's to real, don't do anything, go ahead, finish the job and fall asleep. "Ambien tripping" is a vry real thing, and I had to work that thing out. but it's like anything else, know your objective and eliminate any obstacles that are under your control. The objective here is sleep, and getting out of be to send emails that are nothing but font and layout experiments...that's an obstacle to falling asleep.

That's where having a Pandoro thing helps. Last night it was the Arditti Quartet and related music, and although not particularly "relaxing" it zoned really nicely, and that's what I need. Just a zone to go to while the medicine does its job.

13 hours ago, Holy Ghost said:

Ugh, I've always had a terrible time falling asleep. I tend to rely on tv to try to put me to sleep (TCM is good for this with no commercial interruptions, sans the commentary in between movies) but that usually ends when my wife wakes up around 4am to go to the bathroom too. She tolerates it to a degree (and she can fall asleep within minutes...I'm so jealous of that!) only because she knows my mind goes a mile a minute when it's dead silent, and I can't fall asleep. My fidgety legs (RLS) and restlessness always gives it away. 

Have you tried a white noise generator? Both Android and Apple phones have free apps in their stores for this type of thing. I find this to be a big help.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

It's in Bb, so there's now "sawing Cs instead of Zs" joke to be had here. Oh well...

I guess you could work with "he knocks me b-flat out", but that's faux-hip, and faux-hip sucks.

I was making no such would-be joke. I just, with a few exceptions, can't stand Chambers' bowed solos.

I am very impressed by Paul Chambers's arco solos, and he could play them on very fast numbers. And, of course, his pizzicato. Paul was arguably the best jazz bassist ever. I have probably heard all the recordings on which he plays, and I find that his intonation was very good. There is the odd track where he's a bit off, but I haven't heard many.

At this stage, years after the event, I don't appreciate criticism of this wonderful musician.

And yes, I like lots of others: Ron Carter, Richard Davis, Walter Page, Doug Watkins, Wilbur Ware, Butch Warren, both Tuckers, and so on.

That instrument is awkward to play because of its size and lack of frets. It is amazing that so many people have played it well. My saxophones and clarinets are way easier to finger.

9 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

I am very impressed by Paul Chambers's arco solos, and he could play them on very fast numbers. And, of course, his pizzicato. Paul was arguably the best jazz bassist ever. I have probably heard all the recordings on which he plays, and I find that his intonation was very good. There is the odd track where he's a bit off, but I haven't heard many.

At this stage, years after the event, I don't appreciate criticism of this wonderful musician ...

I think most of us appreciate Chambers as one of the great bass players - however, to these ears, there are times where he overdid it with the bow. Long arco solos, often poorly recorded on noisy band stands, can be seriously anti-climactic...