Reissue for Jothan Callins & The Sounds Of Togetherness - Winds of Change

mjazzg

I was hipped to this album on this board (by felser, I think) so pleased to see an imminent reissue from a good label.

No CD though (don't shoot the messenger)

https://madaboutrecordslabel.bandcamp.com/album/jothan-callins-the-sounds-of-togetherness-winds-of-change?from=fanpub_fnb

Edited by mjazzg

2 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Jothan Callins was my section teacher in my Jazz (appreciation) course at Pitt.  I vividly recall a class wherein he played us Out of This World from Coltrane Live in Seattle, prompting one of my classmates to raise her hand and ask, "Is it okay if we don't like this?"

Great story!  

2 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Jothan Callins was my section teacher in my Jazz (appreciation) course at Pitt.  I vividly recall a class wherein he played us Out of This World from Coltrane Live in Seattle, prompting one of my classmates to raise her hand and ask, "Is it okay if we don't like this?"

Lovely. Do you remember his response?

Excellent album. I wonder if the liner notes say much more about Callins -- Jeff Crompton did some research on him (Can't recall if they knew one another or not) and it seems like several people here also encountered him in life. It always irks me when reissues talk about how "unknown" or "mysterious" someone is, and the reality is that the label or whoever just didn't go around asking people to tell the story.

23 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Lovely. Do you remember his response?

He very pleasantly and coolly reassured her that it was okay. 

Another time he brought Memphis tenor legend Herman Green to town to play, and it was a proud moment for me digging a hometown legend with my Pittsburgh people.  Herman in turn brought Jothan here to play and record with local band Free World. I believe they recorded one of his tunes Sons and Daughters of the Sun.

The last time I saw Jothan was in Jackson Mississippi playing with Sun Ra C 1991 (it was a triple bill:  Sun Ra, Tito Puente, and Al Green for $8!)  Despite the fact that there were maybe a dozen people in attendance for Sun Ra, I couldn't find a chance to say howdy.