Nicholas Payton - Joey DeFrancesco

mrjazzman

Went to see Nicholas Payton with Tim Warfield, Anthony Wonsey, Adonis Rose and Reuben Rodgers at the Black Cat in S.F.  All stellar Young Lions at one point and I have their individual cd's. But tonight IMO, they were a little flat. I couldn't hear Warfield tonight. All the songs were originals or from previous cd Gumbo Nouveau. Seemed like on some songs, the head/melody sounded better the the soloing. Although, Payton did have a nice ballad.  As for Joey, went to see him at Yoshi's in Oakland Jan 12. Where he used to play trumpet and saxophone for a little extra on the side, now he  wants to be featured on both. So, he has a second Organist (who's very good, can't remember his name) who doubles on Guitar when Joey is on Organ. Although he's not the only one, imo Joey is the greatest Jimmy Smith styled Jazz Organist alive and when he's on the other two instruments, my ears feel like they're being robbed. The drummer was exceptional. His last name is Marshall, I think from Pilly and plays like Byron Landham on steroids.......The last  Master I saw that was 100% satisfying to me was Ernie Watts and I'm telling you at 76, these young guys would not want to mix it up with him