The COLEMAN HAWKINS thread

EKE BBB

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the Opera House recording worthwhile? I am thinking of picking up the Fresh Sounds reissue.

This is one of my all time favorite live recordings. Hawk & Roy are in great form. The Verve CD which came out a few years ago contains both the mono and stereo versions, which are from different concerts.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Has anyone here (maybe everybody) heard the Uptown Hawkins cd from Jamestown in 1958? I came across it when looking for their new Prez cd. Should I add it to the shelf of Bean recordings I already own? I like his work from the early '60s. How does this compare?

Has anyone here (maybe everybody) heard the Uptown Hawkins cd from Jamestown in 1958? I came across it when looking for their new Prez cd. Should I add it to the shelf of Bean recordings I already own? I like his work from the early '60s. How does this compare?

Yes, I think you'll want it. It's very "casual", and you can hear Hawk talking during other people's playing, discussing driving routes and stuff like that. But he plays grandly when it's his time.

Actually, I just found the performance on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/AdvLh89I0YM

I guess I now know the album it's from. Is this currently available?

There have been two CD reissues under the title Hawk Talk. Both seem OOP now, but it should not be impossible to get for decent prices at Amazon Marketplace for example.

The first CD reissue was on Fresh Sound (which is the one I have) and the second on a label called Tradition. According to the Amazon product description, the Tradition was remastered from the master tapes and according to a customer review "this CD has excellent audio quality throughout" (can't vouch for that, since I haven't heard it).

MI0000560959.jpg

R-3035087-1312803348.jpeg

I found it disappointing. There are, in my opinion, numerous recordings by Bean I prefer. I disposed of my copy after hearing it a few times.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

all the  "  /  "  tunes are different from each other on the 2 cd's

Coleman Hawkins ‎Alive! At The Village Gate
1    All The Things You Are    
2    Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho    
/3    Mack The Knife    
/4    (It's the) Talk Of The Town    
/5    Bean And The Boys    
6    If I Had You    

Hawkins! Eldridge! Hodges! Alive! At The Village Gate
  1. Satin Doll
  2. Perdido
  3. The Rabbit in Jazz
  /4. Mack the Knife
  /5. It's the Talk of the Town
  /6. Bean and the Boys
  7. Caravan 

23 hours ago, mjzee said:

I recently ordered through CDJapan Hawkins! Alive! At The Village Gate.  FYI, this has 2 additional tracks from the same night not on the LP: Bean And The Boys and If I Had You.  

51eSMhdQXcL._SX425_.jpg

I ordered this recently also.  Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho is one of my favorite Hawkins performances.

• 2 years later...

Speaking of Hawk, there was some talk recently on the board about a thorough online Coleman Hawkins discography. (I can't seem to find the thread now.)  In any case, a few days ago I stumbled across the documents below, which outline all of Hawkins' solos on record -- everything he recorded, not just his works as a leader. The author also offers notes and comments on each session. 

Very helpful info, I think, for anyone who's digging into Hawkins' work.

Incidentally, these documents are part of http://www.jazzarcheology.com, an interesting site with many other discographies.

Enjoy. 

38 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Speaking of Hawk, there was some talk recently on the board about a thorough online Coleman Hawkins discography. (I can't seem to find the thread now.)  In any case, a few days ago I stumbled across the documents below, which outline all of Hawkins' solos on record -- everything he recorded, not just his works as a leader. The author also offers notes and comments on each session. 

Very helpful info, I think, for anyone who's digging into Hawkins' work.

Incidentally, these documents are part of http://www.jazzarcheology.com, an interesting site with many other discographies.

Enjoy. 

Wow. A few years ago I was looking for something like this and presume it was too daunting a task for anyone to have taken on.  And I'm right that these are only the numbers on which he takes a solo?   Do you presume he's going to continue with the '60s? 

Edited by medjuck