The COLEMAN HAWKINS thread

EKE BBB

... I was only listening yesterday to Coleman Hawkins/Roy Eldridge 'At the Opera House', and thinking how great he was...

That´s one I´ve been wishing to pick for long, Red!

Another good one with Little Jazz (and with the Rabbit) is "Alive! At the Village Gate!" (Verve, 1962).

m-hawkins-eldridge.jpg

Some good blowing there! Just listen to Hawk on "Satin doll"

BTW: someone, in an old thread at AAJ, mentioned that in the original vinyl version, Eldridge was dreadfully out of tune in "The rabbit in jazz", but this was corrected when transfered to CD. Anyone knew about this?

And just another live recording, with the same title, the same rhythm section (Tommy Flanagan, Major Holley, and Eddie Locke) and from the same year... but without Hodges and Eldridge is "Alive! At the Village Vanguard!" (Verve, 1962).

5123.jpg

Oh man, that version of "It´s the talk of the town" is simply.....

My dad, Arno Marsh, likes to tell his Hawk story.. Back in 1966 Arno was on the road with Harry James's' band and after a show, went into the hotel lounge to get a taste. it turned out that Roy Eldridge was playing in the lounge with a rhythm section, and when he saw that my dad had a horn case, invited him to sit in..

So Arno is getting his horn out and who should walk into the lounge and sits at the front table less than 5 feet away but Coleman Hawkins! .. He says to Arno, "You gonna play?" and Arno says, "Yeah, Roy ask me if I wanted to play".. Arno straps his horn on, looks at Roy and says, "What do you want to play?" and Roy says, "How 'bout 'Body & Soul'?" :lol: True story!

:rofl:

I love it!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Additional levels of stuff if you remember Roy recorded a classic version of Body and Soul with Chu Berry about a year before Hawk recorded his classic.

Always wondered what would have happened with it if we hadn't had the Hawk's classic one. Was the Eldridge-Berry the first one with one chorus (or was it just the bridge?) played uptempo?

F

Additional levels of stuff if you remember Roy recorded a classic version of Body and Soul with Chu Berry about a year before Hawk recorded his classic.

Always wondered what would have happened with it if we hadn't had the Hawk's classic one. Was the Eldridge-Berry the first one with one chorus (or was it just the bridge?) played uptempo?

F

That's the one. Lee Konitz adapted and played Roy's solo on his 1969 Milestone album "Peacemeal," having first asked Roy for permission. I'm pretty sure that Eldridge solo was one that the Tristano-ites pored over.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Another superb collection, some of these not often mentioned, are Bean's Impulse albums. "Today and Now" is very good, as is the bossa album "Desafinado". The better-known one with the Duke (no, not John Wayne) is a gem, partly because it gives a unique opportunity to hear Bean in a small horn section with Ray Nance, Rabbit, Lawrence Brown and Harry Carney.

Been listening to his fourth and last Impulse date this morning, "Wrapped Tight" with Bill Berry or Snooky Young on trumpet, Urbie Green on trombone, Barry Harris on piano, Buddy Catlett on bass and Eddie Locke on drums.

Not top-notch Hawk by any means, but a nice date, right there at the beginning of his decline (it was recorded Feb-March, 1965). His tone is weak at times (specially in the slow tempos), and his phrasing is not as free-flowing as it used to be in the fast numbers (see "I won't dance").

Been listening to his fourth and last Impulse date this morning, "Wrapped Tight" with Bill Berry or Snooky Young on trumpet, Urbie Green on trombone, Barry Harris on piano, Buddy Catlett on bass and Eddie Locke on drums.

Not top-notch Hawk by any means, but a nice date, right there at the beginning of his decline (it was recorded Feb-March, 1965). His tone is weak at times (specially in the slow tempos), and his phrasing is not as free-flowing as it used to be in the fast numbers (see "I won't dance").

I agree. except that the opening theme statement to "Out Of Nowhere" is startling in the extreme, especially in the context of that album.

I agree. except that the opening theme statement to "Out Of Nowhere" is startling in the extreme, especially in the context of that album.

Couldn't agree more. Great way to end the album. The way he links those ten (?) sixteenth notes in the first bar, ending it with a long note that is sustained, barely audible, in the second bar... Love it!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the 1965 item, Jim. That alone shows just what a giant Bean was!

I have liked "Wrapped Tight" since I got the LP in the late 60s. I had a sax mentor (an older friend who had played in a swing big band) whom I used to drag around to my place just about every time I got a new LP. He was mainly into swing era stuff, and he just flipped when he heard "Intermezzo" from "Wrapped Tight". He made a tape dubbing and just about wore it out. No-one could have played that better than Bean.

[Collectors of trivia may be interested to know that the pianist in my friend's big band was Harry Corbett, who later became very famous on TV with his glove puppet "Sooty", which was on the Disney show at one time. There is also am amusing story about the band's baritone player being hired because he could get Brylcreem during WW II, when it was hard to get.]

There have been some great Hawk vinyl reissues over the last few years.

The Hawk Flies High was recently reissued by Mobile Fidelity on SACD & 180 gram LP (limited to 2000 copies). Both are outstanding but I prefer the vinyl.

Analogue Productions has done a nice job with Night Hawk & The Hawk Relaxes on 45 RPM vinyl and while they are pricey @ $50 each they are worth it. Since each title is limited to 1000 copies they should appreciate over time.

Pure Pleasure recently reissued the Candid LP Jazz Reunion with PeeWee Russell.

Here's a link to some recent reissues for sale:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/search_results.cfm

• 3 months later...

I'm at work, so I don't have it with me, but I found a Hawkins disc titled "Body and Soul" that was labelled as a live recording from ... somewhere in South America. Roy Eldridge was on it, and I think Philly Joe Jones was the drummer ... but there was no indication of the CD's manufacturer, and I couldn't find anything like it on AMG.

Ring a bell with anyone?

At first I thought you might be referring to the Bayou club recordings, but I see from the literature that Roy and Hawk recorded with Joe Jones ( not Philly Joe) in Buenos Aires June 16 1961. Body and Soul was one of the tunes.

These are aparently part of a West Wind CD entitled Jazz Festival in Latin America.. there were 6 tracks, Body was a feature for Hawk, The Man I love for Roy.

Love for sale a trio for Tommy Flanagan.

The rest of the Cd was by other artists.

This may be what you have or some bootlegged verion of it.

Guess this is the double disc P.D. (hey, you still there?) was referring to, many moons ago:

The Jazz Festivals In Latin America (West Wind 2062)

c70227w5ol2.jpg

Found used copies for around $60.00 at amazon, but skipped them!

I'm at work, so I don't have it with me, but I found a Hawkins disc titled "Body and Soul" that was labelled as a live recording from ... somewhere in South America. Roy Eldridge was on it, and I think Philly Joe Jones was the drummer ... but there was no indication of the CD's manufacturer, and I couldn't find anything like it on AMG.

Ring a bell with anyone?

At first I thought you might be referring to the Bayou club recordings, but I see from the literature that Roy and Hawk recorded with Joe Jones ( not Philly Joe) in Buenos Aires June 16 1961. Body and Soul was one of the tunes.

These are aparently part of a West Wind CD entitled Jazz Festival in Latin America.. there were 6 tracks, Body was a feature for Hawk, The Man I love for Roy.

Love for sale a trio for Tommy Flanagan.

The rest of the Cd was by other artists.

This may be what you have or some bootlegged verion of it.

PD: Okay, I have to ask: did you just KNOW that?

I went home and dug up the disc, and that seems to be pretty close.

"West Wind 2018" is printed on the disc and there's a little blurb indicating "Rec. at American Jazz Festival in Latin America, 16 Juli 1961 at Teatro Municipale, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil."

According to the track listing:

1. Rifftide: Hawkins, Eldridge, Flanagan, Abdul Malik, Jones (Jo, not Philly Joe)

2. The Man I love: Eldridge, Flanagan, Abdul Malik, Jones

3. Body and Soul: same as 1

4. Love for sale: Flanagan, Abdul Malik, Jones

5. Caravan: same as 1, but essentially a 6-minute Jones drum solo

6. Love come back to me: same as 1

The sound is okay, the playing is very enthusiastic, the uncredited liner notes are somewhat surreal. Some blah blah blah, then they end with "Later in his career, bearded like the prophet he was, Hawkins continued handing down his huge-toned jazz commandments until in 1969, ominously taciturn and worn thin from a permanent diet of lentil soup and brandy, he died."

Guess this is the double disc P.D. (hey, you still there?) was referring to, many moons ago:

The Jazz Festivals In Latin America (West Wind 2062)

c70227w5ol2.jpg

Found used copies for around $60.00 at amazon, but skipped them!

From their catalog numbers, and after checking the Jazz Records Label Listings project , I am afraid these are different discs.

Here's the cover for West Wind 2018:

WW2018.jpg

Edited by EKE BBB

Is there a full discography available in any medium?

There were two volumes of a thorough Coleman Hawkins discography published several years ago. Compiled by Jean-François Villetard. The third volume never did make it, as far as I know...

To my knowledge, Chris Sheridan was working on a Coleman Hawkins bio-discography (remember his great work on Monk and Basie!), but I have no idea of the stage this project is in.