Miles Davis Radio coming to Sirius-XM

felser

Works for me, will set one of my buttons to it for the week.   They do a nice job on these stations, have enjoyed the Neil Young and Beach Boys limited engagement stations the past year.

A channel dedicated to the giant of jazz

View in a web browser

39b6fc9b0f6cef6fd89f05edaf92a1a5.jpg

What to Stream Right Now

It's included in your plan

Miles Davis

A channel dedicated to the giant of jazz

When Miles Davis called his 1951 debut album The New Sounds, he wasn't kidding around. The legendary artist consistently reinvented jazz throughout his storied career, and we're highlighting it all on Miles Davis Radio, one of our special limited-run channels honoring Black History Month.

Spanning his massive discography of more than 100 studio and live albums, the channel also features alumni band members as hosts, including Marcus Miller, Lenny White, John Beasley, Joey DeFrancesco, Vince Wilburn Jr., and more. Tune in all month on the SXM App or catch the channel when it takes over Real Jazz (ch. 67) from February 14-21.

10 minutes ago, bresna said:

Why the hell does it have to take over the ONLY Jazz channel they have?? These "takeover" stations typically take over the lesser listened to channels. This is the equivalent of making Classic Vinyl be the Led Zeppelin Channel for a week.

To double back on your first point, I would a lot more people listen to Classic Vinyl (I do) than to Real Jazz (I don't) in the car.  Neil Young Radio took over Deep Tracks, which was an annoyance to me, as that is one of my favorites, but I did enjoy Neil Young Radio.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Why do I have all this damn Miles Davis music cluttering up my house and my head anyway?

So what?  Is it making you kind of blue?  It could be big fun, while you're workin', relaxin', cookin', or steamin'.  Dig?

14 hours ago, felser said:

To double back on your first point, I would a lot more people listen to Classic Vinyl (I do) than to Real Jazz (I don't) in the car.  Neil Young Radio took over Deep Tracks, which was an annoyance to me, as that is one of my favorites, but I did enjoy Neil Young Radio.

I listen to both Classic Vinyl and Real Jazz in my car... almost equally. I do know that the pop-up rock tribute shows typically show up on Deep Tracks. I tune it in whenever some big name rock artist dies because I know it'll be there. Rush Radio was awesome BTW.

There is no Deep Tracks channel for jazz. There is one jazz channel. But there are 8 country channels, 2 gospel channels & 2 Smooth/New Age channels. They choose to use the only Jazz channel for Miles Davis Radio when they take over Seriously Sinatra (Channel 70) every summer for Yacht Rock Radio? Why not have Miles Davis Radio on channel 70?

Sirius only has one jazz channel? Granted, it's been years since I had it, but they used to have, like, a big band station, a fusion station, a smooth jazz station, stuff like that. Enough that hwen on sucked, there were other options. "Turning the dial", like the old days, that's what car radio is all about, imo. That and ball games and crazyass preachers. Today they call it "channel surfing", although I've yet to get two girls for every boy.

On Sirius, when I had it, he only thing I ever could listen to at any length was the OTR stations, do they still have that/those?

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Sirius only has one jazz channel? Granted, it's been years since I had it, but they used to have, like, a big band station, a fusion station, a smooth jazz station, stuff like that. Enough that hwen on sucked, there were other options. "Turning the dial", like the old days, that's what car radio is all about, imo. That and ball games and crazyass preachers. Today they call it "channel surfing", although I've yet to get two girls for every boy.

On Sirius, when I had it, he only thing I ever could listen to at any length was the OTR stations, do they still have that/those?

One jazz channel. One blues channel. No World music channel.

I entered the Twilight Zone this morning. I posted my complaint about Miles Davis Radio taking over Real Jazz, jumped into my car to find that they had (accidentally I assume) shut off my radio. :) I was able to use the app to listen on my ride in and I will re-flash the radio later today but talk about timing...

33 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Fuck that.

That’s why I am INFINITELY more interested in algorithmic programming, like Pandora. Especially since Pandora added “deep cuts” and “discovery” modes (although I wish you could run in both of those modes at the same time — where the algorithm plays deeper cuts by lesser-known artists — alas, Pandora won’t do that).

I used to never pay a dime to Pandora, and I only listened to it with all the commercials. But when they added the “deep cuts” and “discovery” modes, I actually have been ponying up $5/month for their commercial free service, as a vote a confidence (and also because I started listening to Pandora about 5x as much).

PLUS, their world music, Afrobeat, and other world pop musics coverage is certainly good enough for a relative newbie like me — further justifying my $5/month — and I can listen to the first 30 minutes of any album on-demand by watching on 30-second commercial. Not ideal, but certainly good enough for exploring things, which is all I use that for.

But listening to human (or programic) curated stations (like Sirius, or MusicChoice which included free on our cable-box) is for the birds. You can’t skip tracks, and you can’t influence what’s played in any way, shape, or form. 20 years ago such a thing might have been more useful, but still extremely limiting.

I like Sirius/XM for what it is - Satellite Radio. I've been at the mercy of DJs my whole life and I don't hate them for that. In fact, they've managed to turn me on to some music I never would have heard otherwise. As it is, I've bought quite a few LPs/CDs after hearing a tune on Sirius/XM's Jazz Radio.

If I want to hear specific tunes, I have most of my libraries on USB sticks in the glove box. I also have the Amazon app I can play. It's fun sometimes to say, "Alexa, play some Hank Mobley". :)

Edited by bresna

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

One jazz channel. One blues channel. No World music channel.

Jazz and tangential channels (I hesitate to include the smooth jazz channel).  The first three are mostly jazz, I'd say.

67 - Real Jazz - Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Wynton Marsalis, Christian McBride

70 - Seriously Sinatra - Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Michael Buble

71 - 40's Junction - Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, The Dorseys, Bing Crosby, Duke Ellington, Count Basie

74 - BB King's Bluesville - Eric Clapton, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Etta James, Robert Cray

66 - Watercolors/smooth jazz - Sade, Dave Koz, Brian Culbertson, Boney James, Maysa, David Benoit, George Benson, Al Jarreau

68 - Spa/New Age - Peter Kater, Steven Halpern, Brian Eno, Paul Winter, Tangerine Dream, Mark Isham, Will Ackerman

69 - Escape/Easy Listening - Percy Faith, Bert Kaempfert, John Fox, James Last, Henry Mancini, Richard Clayderman, Caravelli

On 2/10/2022 at 8:14 AM, JSngry said:

"Turning the dial", like the old days, that's what car radio is all about, imo.

That.  When I'm driving the car that has Sirius/XM, I am constantly scanning my 12 preset stations for something interesting.  I don't like their jazz station, don't have a preset for it.  I also find that jazz is not good cruising music for me.  Cuts are too long and take too much concentration.  

2 minutes ago, felser said:

I also find that jazz is not good cruising music for me.  Cuts are too long and take too much concentration.  

Usually just the opposite for me, when I get into the music, I get into it as an enhancement to whatever else I'm doing. But one time somebody gave me a live bootleg cassette of Joe Henderson doing a longass "Invitation" and Joe was IN THE ZONE, just playing onandonandon, and when Joe got into that zone, I was always more than happy to follow him in. And this was a DEEEEEEEEP zone he was in. Next thing I know, I had missed my exit to get to the crib and was, like, 20 miles and 3 exits north.

I didn't mind, because, hell, that's a DAMN good bootleg, and I did get home with the tape.

I never bothered with satellite programming because I couldn’t see what was available. Years ago I remember a Denny Zeitlin Trio date at Dizzy’s that was to be aired one Saturday and because I was in jazz media a satellite rep sent me a receiver to pick it up, though without instructions how to use it. It arrived two days after the broadcast and I eventually junked it. 

Edited by Ken Dryden

I used to like the Sirius/XM channel called Coffee House. I used to enjoy seeing acoustic folk/rock bands at a coffee house in Cambridge,MA called Passim. I saw quite a few great shows there and this channel captured that vibe. Then they started moving more and more into straight acoustic pop and I eventually gave up on it.

I was out driving yesterday for a prolonged period (dropping my son off at work to visiting a doctor briefly to visiting a record store) and turned on Real Jazz. The host, Mark Ruffin, was talking to Christian Bride. I think they called it a virtual tour or something like that. It was a fascinating two hours. Callers were asking McBride different questions (and the questions were stimulating ones).  The show was interspersed with some of McBride’s music, including his A Movement Revisited. I had never heard his music before and I was impressed. This was what radio should be about. Best two hours spent driving in a long time. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I was out driving yesterday for a prolonged period (dropping my son off at work to visiting a doctor briefly to visiting a record store) and turned on Real Jazz. The host, Mark Ruffin, was talking to Christian Bride. I think they called it a virtual tour or something like that. It was a fascinating two hours. Callers were asking McBride different questions (and the questions were stimulating ones).  The show was interspersed with some of McBride’s music, including his A Movement Revisited. I had never heard his music before and I was impressed. This was what radio should be about. Best two hours spent driving in a long time. 

I drive one hour each way to work every weekday, so I get those 2 hours of listening almost daily. It's why I got Sirius/XM in the first place.

BTW - Christian McBride also hosts one of Real Jazz's regular show called The Low Down - an obvious pun on his bass playing abilities.

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

We’ve had trial Sirius-XM offers with new vehicles we purchased. They were never used. With the huge backlog of jazz CDs I have, I would rather choose the music in the car.

Going forward, the CD player is a thing of the past. 

When we bought a car (always Honda Accord's for us) in October 2020, we bought a 2017 coming off lease, as 2017 was the last year Honda made cars with CD players.  My wife was more insistent than I was about it, I'm good with Sirius/XM in the car.