Wordle

Anybody else playing? I started a few weeks ago... found today’s answer a bit annoying, though. In my day, gentlemen, it was but a prefix! 😄 I think it’s the standard case of colloquial usage ultimately changing the technical definition or categorization of a word, a process that’s always going on. 

Avid player for the last month or so. I’ve solved in two twice but most often take four tries. Haven’t been stumped yet, only a matter of time I suppose. Funny aside, I recently saw a Urologist and somehow Wordle came up, his starting words are either urine or penis, staying on brand.

9 minutes ago, jk666 said:

Curious to see what happens with the NYT acquisition...

My guess is that they'll do the same thing with Wordle that they've done with the crossword puzzle and Spelling Bee.  They'll make some available for free on a day by day basis but will move the archive/on-demand option behind their Diversions paywall.  

Key to Wordle strategy is to use starting words that contain the most frequently used letters. The old Linotype keyboards were arranged starting with the most frequently used letter, "e", then the second-most frequently used letter, "t", and so on.

So if you pick starting words that are primarily made up of letters in the first two rows on the Linotype keyboard (the famous "etaoin shrdlu"), you increase your chances of success significantly. 

51878137164_f050a7ba28_o.jpg

On a somewhat tangential note, there's an excellent short documentary on Vimeo on the last day that hot-metal typesetting with Linotypes was used at the New York Times in 1978. The next day they switched over to computer-based typesetting. Fascinating window into a nearly-forgotten era that lasted for over 100 years.

• 1 month later...

Well, the Wordle archive is gone.  

Here's the message displayed on the archive site:

👋 Thanks for playing!

Thank you for playing the Wordle Archive, and for all your nice comments and feedback that helped make the site better.

Sadly, the New York Times has requested that the Wordle Archive be taken down. However, you can still play the daily Wordle over on their official site.