Save the date: James Brandon Lewis Trio in Kingston, NY 3/13

Greetings!

I'm pleased as punch to announce a new series starting Sunday, March 13 at Tubby's Kingston called So, What Do You Think? (named after the iconic Spontaneous Music Ensemble LP) with the James Brandon Lewis Trio. Concerts will be once a month on a Sunday evening and feature one or more groups/artists at Tubby's, a venue/bar in Midtown Kingston on Broadway that has served Hudson Valley fans of engaging, underground music since 2018. The focus will be broad, ranging from jazz and free music to modern composition, rock-adjacent sound, and beyond. I hope to see you at some of these events and thanks for your support! 

//Clifford

Without further adieu: 

James Brandon Lewis Trio @ Tubby's, March 13 2022, 7pm. $15 adv (link to follow) $20 door. One lengthy set of seriously heavy music.

The James Brandon Lewis Trio was established with one goal in mind … to chase energy!
Drawing on the legacy of great trios of the past such as Air, JBL 3 is a power trio with a Sax .. from hip-hop to punk rock … features amazing leaders in their own right: Chris Hoffman and Max Jaffe.

James Brandon Lewis (b.1983) is a critically- acclaimed composer, saxophonist, and writer. He has received accolades from NPR, ASCAP Foundation, Macdowell, and The Robert Rauschenberg Foundation. He has been described as “ a saxophonist who embodies and transcends tradition” by The New York Times. “The saxophonist has balanced a deep, gospel-informed spirituality with Free-Jazz abandon and hard-hitting funk-meets-hip-hop underpinning,” says Rolling Stone Magazine. He has released several critically-acclaimed albums, most recently the highly touted Jesup Wagon, which was voted Record of the Year by Jazz Times magazine. Lewis is a member and co-founder of American Book Award winning ensemble Heroes Are Gang Leaders. James was recently voted Rising Star Tenor Saxophonist by Downbeat magazine's 2020’s International Critics poll. He attended Howard University and received his M.F.A from California Institute of the Arts. 

Christopher Hoffman is a cellist and composer who has performed in Henry Threadgill’s Pulitzer Prize winning ensemble Zooid for over a decade. He also currently performs with the grammy-nominated Anat Cohen Tentet, James Brandon Lewis Trio & Red Lily Quintet, Rudy Royston’s Flatbed Buggy, Kenny Warren Trio, Tony Malaby and his own Christopher Hoffman Quartet. He has worked with Martin Scorsese, Yoko Ono, Bleachers, Butch Morris, Marc Ribot, Lee Konitz, Christina Courtin, Spring Awakening, Ryan Scott, Anthony Coleman, FLH, Marianne Faithfull, Ryan Adams, Iron & Wine, Jeremiah Cymerman, Michael Pitt, Pagoda & many others. “Christopher Hoffman hardly needs to prove his bona fides as an agile improviser and ensemble player,” says Nate Chinen, “But with Asp Nimbus…Hoffman distinguishes himself further as a bandleader.” 

Max Jaffe expands the boundaries of possibility for composition and collaboration through the drum set. His music draws from many different genres and seeks to break down the boundaries between them. He is part of a cutting edge of drummers that have embraced SUNHOUSE and their Sensory Percussion technology that has shifted the paradigm of the instrument. His powerful solo performances exploit the physicality of the drums to create narrative through movement, defying visual expectations and logic for what a “drum solo” can express. As a collaborator, he is a longtime member of experimental rock collective JOBS and Amirtha Kidambi’s Elder Ones, and has performed internationally with Chrome Sparks, Peter Evans, Rubblebucket, Cass McCombs, and many others. In 2021 he completed an MFA from California Institute of the Arts in Music Technology and was a Pioneer Works Music Resident.

• 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

This upcoming Sunday:

james-Brandon-Lewis-tubbys-v2.jpg

Tickets here: https://tubbyskingston.lyte.com/3701204

I might be able to make it. I will be at Tubby’s (never been before) on Wednesday 4/13 for Ballister (Dave Rempis, Fred Lonberg-Holm & Paal Nilsson-Love) plus special guest Joe McPhee

Clifford / are you scheduling more shows every Sunday or on occasional Sundays?

Excellent news..

Won't be there 3/13, but 4/13 is possible and I'm eagerly waiting for more Kingston venues (Senate Garage, Lace Mill, Beverly, ...) to resume offering music events.

Bit of a trip for me, and I prefer weekends and/or early set times, but I'm probably older (64) than your main demographic...;)

Lace Mill is doing stuff now -- was just there yesterday to see Karl Berger perform.

Next ones definitely locked in are Apr 24, May 22, June 5 (I'll announce those lineups as we get closer, in separate threads).

Also working on an Astral Spirits showcase for June 24.

Beverly seems to be done.

2 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Lace Mill is doing stuff now -- was just there yesterday to see Karl Berger perform.

Next ones definitely locked in are Apr 24, May 22, June 5 (I'll announce those lineups as we get closer, in separate threads).

Also working on an Astral Spirits showcase for June 24.

Beverly seems to be done.

Thanks, excellent info.

Sorry I missed Karl Berger, recently finished his Music Mind Experience book.

• 1 month later...