The real "Dynamo B"

mhatta

Dizzy Gillespie recorded 2 tunes, "Dynamo A" and "Dynamo B", for Dial in Feb. 5, 1946.  Actually, both are 2 takes of what we know now as "Dizzy Atmosphere".

On a radio broadcast from Band Box in Mar. 30, 1953, asked by Leonard Feather, Charlie Parker explained like "It(Dynamo A) wasn't 'Dizzy Atmosphere'.  It's not the same record at all. This is a thing they recorded in Los Angeles quite a few years ago, it's a satire of the tune 'Lover'..." and played what we know now as "Diggin' Diz" as an example of "Dynamo A" (unfortunately he didn't play "Dynamo B"!).  So I guess Bird thought "Diggin' Diz" was the real "Dynamo A".

Then, I wonder what was the real "Dynamo B". 

The Feb. 5, 1946 session produced 8 tunes -- "Confirmation", "Diggin' Diz", "Dynamo A & B" (2 takes of "Dizzy Atmosphere"), 2 takes of "When I grow Too Old To Dream" and 2 takes of "'Round Midnight".  So my best guess is "Dynamo B" was actually the working title of "Confirmation".  How do you think?  Is there any other recording of "Dynamo B"?

I heard that discussion with Bird and Leonard years ago. I always thought that Bird was a bit annoyed with Leonard and winding him up.

Anyway, as was said, "Dynamo A" and "Dynamo B" are just the A and B takes of the same tune. Bird might have forgotten that by then, and he might have been stoned at the live gig where Leonard was announcing.

[Give me $5, or I won't announce your name properly, lol. (That wasn't Leonard. Some of you will know that story,.)]

oh yeah, Dynamo A and B. 

And that strange conversation between Leonard and Bird, I think I have it on a bootleg from a strange label called "Queen Disk" . And Bird with his deep voice askes Leonard if he want´s to hear Dynamo A, or would he like to hear Dynamo B. 

On the other hand, it´s some really weak Bird, and the best player on those sides is Walter Bishop. 

Shortly after that, I had the luck to play a gig with the fantastic alto player Allen Praskin and he suggested a set only with Dizzy tunes, among those was "Diggin´ Diz" and I remember when we made the set list I imitated Birds Voice and said "would you like to play Dynamo A or Dynamo B ? and Mr Praskin laughed and said, yeah that record with some really poor Bird, but Bish sounds fantastic on it..... so .....same impressions..... great ! 

Of course, with played "Dizzy Atmosphere" too. If I remember some tunes we played was "Shaw Nuff", "Salt Peanuts", "Diggin´Diz", "Woody´n You, What could I say: Heaven on Earth, but now looking back

About that "Queen Disk" I think the titles was  type written letters on a  paper glued on the back cover.  I also had one with Bud Powell, also from 1953 with the same design. I heard somewhere it was Boris Rose tapes..... really a strange label. 

@BillF: Yeah, Peewee the Midget. Many occasions were you hear his voice on live recordings at Birdland. And his intentinally misspelling of names from musicians who didn´t pay him tip, so that produced "Hor Ass Silber"  "Art Blakeley"  "Teddy Kottex" to name a few of them.

52 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

@BillF: Yeah, Peewee the Midget. Many occasions were you hear his voice on live recordings at Birdland. And his intentinally misspelling of names from musicians who didn´t pay him tip, so that produced "Hor Ass Silber"  "Art Blakeley"  "Teddy Kottex" to name a few of them.

I particularly like the story, relayed in Horace Silver's autobiography, of Prez, who asked for a tip, shouted "Get away, you half a motherfucker!" :lol: