FORUM WEST (MODERN JAZZ FROM WEST GERMANY)

Gary

SK019CD.jpg

I've just heard the first track from this CD on the radio & its sounds GREAT , I dont recognise anybody on here at all , I've spotted the CD on Amazon - any thoughts before I pull the trigger?

(I'm almost convinced by a track being called 'Hymus For Che' - Che is my son's name :) )

TRACKLIST CD:

WOLFGANG LAUTH SEXTET - INTRADA

HANS KOLLER ENSEMBLE - MINGUS PRIVAT

JOE HAIDER SEPTET - STRAIGHT OUT

HANS KOLLER ENSEMBLE - CASA LOMA

JOE HAIDER & HIS ORCHESTRA - HYMNUS FOR CHE

WOLFGANG DAUNER TRIO - FREEFALL

ROLF & JOACHIM KÜHN QUARTET - ARABIA ROCK

RONNIE ROSS & HIS BAND - TRANQUOLOGY

HANS KOLLER ENSEMBLE - SAINT JOHN PERSE

RONNIE ROSS & HIS BAND - LAST OF THE WINE

JOE NAY & FRITZ PAUER - BETA DRACO

HANS KOLLER ENSEMBLE - ZOOT

WOLFGANG DAUNER TRIO - TEN NOTICES

FRITZ PAUER TRIO - RED ROOF

HANS KOLLER ENSEMBLE - CALL ME ERIC

JOE HAIDER SEPTET - ETERNAL OIL LAMP

HANS KOLLER ENSEMBLE - LUCKY TOM

Picked this up on 2 LP the other day ( it has a track not on the CD)

Its very good indeed. Sound quality is fantastic and playing excellent. Don't know a whole lot about any of the players but this is a winner. Th e whole thing is well programmed. I usually avoid compilations but this is highly recommended.

Thanks for the information. This is a good complement to the recent MPS reissues by Koller, Pauer, Dauner etc. German/austrian jazz at it's best.

Detailed information and soundclips (2 minutes for every track) are available here:

http://www.sonarkollektiv.de/releases/SK019CD/

The same label also released "Forum 60", a compilation of jazz recordings from the east german Amiga label, and a Polish jazz sampler.

Edited by Claude

This has been discussed or mentioned someplace else on the board.

Here you can find a bit of information on Hans Koller.

He appears on this great Oscar Pettiford album:

B0000015OM.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Joe Haider, the Kühn brothers and Fritz Pauer are pretty well-known names around here.

I got an itching feeling that this might be the next one I'm going to order despite my famous buying freeze... ;)

ubu

• 6 months later...

It's very good indeed. Sound quality is fantastic and playing excellent. ... The whole thing is well programmed. I usually avoid compilations but this is highly recommended.

Playing this right now, and it is a brilliant compilation, perhaps one of the best compilations I've purchased. Some stunning Benny Bailey trumpet solos with Joe Haider's orchestra.

My guess is that a lot of the Americans on this board have (so far) missed out on this. Don't! Not only is the music impressive, the sound is fantastic — no, amazing! Really. And, for $14.99, it's a relative bargain at over 73 minutes of music.

Check it out! A list of Wewerka titles currently available from you-know-who.

Hey, this looks cool! Thanks for the heads up. If anyone now remembers (it was what, 18 or 19 Blindfold Tests ago!) I was able to put together the first Blindfold Test disc and it focused on jazz from around the world, mostly outside the U.S. and the U.K. I have become a huge fan of some of the great Polish artists and so I'm very keen to hear this stuff. I just friggin' placed an order with The Bastards and wish I'd seen this before doing so!

• 6 months later...

Up again with this thread. This CD is friggin' fantastic. 'Hymnus for che' features a wonderful group and great performance by Benny Bailey - what a discovery. I wonder how you get hold of those individual Wewerka discs?

Edited by sidewinder

Dusty had these for a time and even had a special on them(?). Today's selection is a bit more limited b@$+@^D$

The two Pauer's - 'Beat the Beat' and 'The Rambler' are a couple of fantastic piano trio sets. Makes that later day 70's Pauer "Blues..." on MPS look dim. :tup :tup

Also recommended is the Ronnie Ross. And the comp 'Night Bounce' has a rollicking short take of "Cleopatra's Needle" with some Wes-ish comping.

Makes that later day 70's Pauer "Blues..." on MPS look dim. :tup :tup

Really? Coincidentally, I received from Mr. Tanno the 'Blues Inside Out' title yesterday and enjoyed the first spin. First exposure to Pauer....guess I'll have to check out one of those non-"dim" ones. ;)

Yeys, that trio stuff on Wewerka is right up your strassa!

Up again with this thread. This CD is friggin' fantastic. 'Hymnus for che' features a wonderful group and great performance by Benny Bailey - what a discovery. I wonder how you get hold of those individual Wewerka discs?

uh man, somehow I just ended up with an order confirmation in my mailbox... :blink:

I blame you, Mr. winder! :angry:

If this is not to my or my credit card's liking, I will send you the bill ;)

they were a bit lazy in replying to email. You may consider to call them up. Very friendly lady with a Bavarian accent puts you through to someone in the know.

BTW, these are NOT the NDR jazz workshops AFAIK. I wonder what the common source of this material is as the Mangelsdorff album is actually the same as Now Jazz Ramwong (CBS).

uh man, somehow I just ended up with an order confirmation in my mailbox... :blink:

:o

:o

Seriously, I have no idea how that could happen! :huh:

I noticed a Mary Lou Williams CD was added to the order, too... I blame catesta for that one <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to report that Amazon came through on this order, finally... the ML Williams is cool (and obviously available again - it was not available from any Amazon when I wanted to buy it a year or two ago).

Now sidewinder can be relieved taht I also got the Forum West disc, even though my credit card ordered it without my knowledge... maybe I should look at it as the property of my credit card, and look at the Williams as a token of gratitude from my credit card? Wierd things happen, I tell you!

Haven't given the Forum West a spin, but read the introductory part of the liners... pity they weren't able to hire a professional translator, otherwise it all looks very nice. And after having read part of the liners, I wonder how anyone could believe at all that these recordings have anything to do with any radio sessions... they come from Mr. Wewerka's (what's his name again? Or is that the name?) private vault of recordings.

PS: What/who is "dutton" again? :cool: