Bettye LaVette, tonight — first LIVE music I’ll have heard in person in 2 years.

Rooster_Ties

In a few hours. Was supposed to hear Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets at the end of January, but they postponed to sometime in the fall.

This’ll be the first live show (in person) that either my wife or I have been to in 2 years (almost to the week).

I’d never even heard of Bettye Lavette until about 4 months ago, when she sang on the Kennedy Center 50th Anniversary broadcast show we saw on PBS, and she sort of blew everyone else on the program away.

I rarely ever go hear jazz singers, but she’s not really a “jazz” singer exactly, from all I’ve heard online and the one CD of hers I picked up a couple months ago (her second most recent album, produced by drummer Steve Jordan, who (meaning Joran) partnered with Keith Richards on all of Richards’ solo albums — and to great effect.

Anyway, that’s what’s on the docket for Mrs. Rooster and me tonight.

Rooster - Is Bettye performing in the DC area?  I didn't see any listing. 

OK, I see that she is at The Hamilton tonight.   I don't think I'll be able to go but it should be great.   DC audiences get the best out of her - she is from DC and has a lot of relatives here. 

Wonderful show, just wonderful.

Mrs. Rooster dug it a ton too. Ms. Lavette even played a couple tunes my wife knows better than I do (an obscure Don Henley tune he did like maybe a decade ago for some greatest hits album of his). And a Fiona Apple tune I knew, but my wife’s a BIG (and an even bigger) fan of Fiona Apple, than I am.

I think there were 6 or maybe 8 songs where she just hit it out of the park, and she had the entire room in her hand. Solid band too, but more especially the guitar-player who was also her musical director.

Ms. Lavette just turned 76, and she still takes no prisoners and seems to be as good as maybe ever.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 1 year later...

Ms. Lavette is playing here Sun, July 9 — at The Hamilton again — and I’m thinking I may go catch her once again, probably just a cheap seat at the bar.  Would love if any other DC board members would like to join me.

And I understand she has a new album just out too!

• 2 weeks later...