What's My Line? - The Original Series

I am obsessed with the original What's My Line?, especially the episodes with panel lineup of Dorothy Kilgallen, Arlene Francis, Bennett Cerf, and Steve Allen.  I love watching this show before I go to sleep. The show's civility and manners got me through the years 2017-20.  

Any fans?

Here is the opening theme:

Edited by Teasing the Korean

45 minutes ago, JSngry said:

As music gradually puts itself to sleep, I gradually turn to game shows. This is one of them, but hardly the only one.

I've done this with many game show, but there is something about What's My Line, especially the 1950s era, that induces a particularly euphoric pre-sleep state.

Bennet Cerf was surprisingly "entitled" way more than I expected.

Fred Allen was consistently brilliant, though.

The whole show seems wonderfully provincial these days. It's a keeper.

To Tell the Truth is my jam, though. With or without Bud Collyer. Spotting a liar makes for good entertainment, to say nothing of sharpening one's life skills.

Yesterday, I was under the weather, and I spent the entire day in bed watching What's My Line.  At one point, I wondered if any of the panelists ever correctly guessed the occupation in the pre-question free guess phase.  Well, in one episode, Bennett Cerf correctly guessed that a contestant was a slot machine repairman, based only the fact that he was from Nevada.

18 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Yesterday, I was under the weather, and I spent the entire day in bed watching What's My Line.  

DVD or YouTube?

There's a Roku channel that's got, like 12 or so episodes, and Amazon Prime has something like50-60 (iirc).

I actually have fond memories of a later, syndicated version hosed by Wally Breuner, and then Larry Blunden (or was it the othe way around>). Soupy Sales was a regular, as was Arlen Franis. Pretty good show iirc.

What I did NOT enjoy seeing was Arlene Francis as a panelist on a few episodes of The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour, Time, I'm afraid, had passed her by with all that droll "urbanity". Same thing when George Gobel did a week. Sad to see.

I still say that Freemantle (the company that bought the Goodson-Todman & Mark Goodson Productions catalog) is sitting on a gold mine, but maybe not. But you can never go wrong with Bill Cullen.