Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 7

dougcrates

https://theseconddisc.com/2022/02/22/prince-miles-davis-patti-smith-lou-reed-mariah-carey-more-featured-on-legacys-record-store-day-slate/

According to this article the next editionĀ of the Miles Davis Bootleg Series is coming later this year and will cover the period of 1981-1985

Edited by dougcrates

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, dougcrates said:

https://theseconddisc.com/2022/02/22/prince-miles-davis-patti-smith-lou-reed-mariah-carey-more-featured-on-legacys-record-store-day-slate/

According to this article the next editionĀ of the Miles Davis Bootleg Series is coming later this year and will cover the period of 1981-1985

Thanks for the good news!

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

I never got the sense they had a lot to work with for this series to begin with, now I know they're really just out of material.Ā 

Only my opinion of course!

No way, post-comeback Miles is damn near infinite in bootlegs.

Electric Jungle/Pete Cosey band (in terms of sound quality, mostly), not so much, but there's enough there to put together a REALLY meaty steakmeal.

Noticed this RSD blurb on TheSecondDisc, and looks like the Columbia hyoeĀ Machine is in overdrive for this one:

Ā 

Miles Davis,Ā What It Is: Montreal 7/7/83Ā (2x12" Vinyl, limited to 10,000 copies)

This double LP release showcases one of Miles Davis' final great bands including John Scofield on guitar, Bill "The Other Bill Evans" Evans on saxophones, flute and electric piano, Darryl Jones on bass, Al Foster on drums and percussionist Mino Cinelu. Miles was back in amazing form ("incandescent and iridescent as ever" as Greg Tate noted) when he mounted the stage at the Theatre St-Denis during the Festival International de Jazz de Montreal in July 1983 and this 2LP 12" vinyl pressing marks the first release of this revelatory performance. The recording has been lovingly mixed and mastered and will be included on CD and digitally in the next edition of the Miles Davis Bootleg Series (focusing on the 1981-1985 period) coming later in the year

Oh, I saw the band with both Scofield AND Stern. Transitional, to put it mildly. Let's hear one of THOSE!!!

I kinda regret that that was the only chance I had to hear Miles, but kinda not really, because nothing that night conflicted with anything I already heard. Different yet the same, as they say.

52 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Hear, hear!

If there's any doubt remaining that this was the most difficult music Miles ever made...so far, "they" have been able to pimp all of his music except this. No easy hooks for the hipsters to latch on to. And yet...there it was, and there it still is.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Oh, I saw the band with both Scofield AND Stern. Transitional, to put it mildly. Let's hear one of THOSE!!!

I kinda regret that that was the only chance I had to hear Miles, but kinda not really, because nothing that night conflicted with anything I already heard. Different yet the same, as they say.

If there's any doubt remaining that this was the most difficult music Miles ever made...so far, "they" have been able to pimp all of his music except this. No easy hooks for the hipsters to latch on to. And yet...there it was, and there it still is.

Agharta's the one that really blows me away re Cosey.Ā Ā 

11 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Agharta's the one that really blows me away re Cosey.Ā Ā 

There was a boot called Black Satin that presented the totality of that band's sound as clearly as anything I"be heard. The intricacies of that music we're at times staggering.

Still ahead of it's time, imo, in the sense of people being ready to listen to it with their hipster girlfriends.

38 minutes ago, Late said:

I wonder why the bootlegs with Jarrett have been overlooked (at least so far). That would be a box set I'd be very interested in ...

Both the Jarrett band and the Cosey/Lucas band were represented on the Newport box.

My interpretation is Sony just doesnā€™t think thereā€™s that much buyerĀ appetite for this music, rightly or wrongly.

Folks who want to hear more (which is worth it!) should just go ahead and find the recordings without waiting for the record company.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

There was a boot called Black Satin that presented the totality of that band's sound as clearly as anything I"be heard. The intricacies of that music we're at times staggering.

Still ahead of it's time, imo, in the sense of people being ready to listen to it with their hipster girlfriends.

I firmly believe Miles Davis was most creative between 1973-1975.Ā  His quintets in the 50s or 60s are of course great, but the music (w/ Pete Cosey) from this period are something else.Ā  (I think) Charles Lloyd once described some kind of music performances as "Other".Ā  I didn't understand what he really meant at that time, but now I think what Miles done this period is the prime examples of "Other".Ā  Even Miles (or Cosey) himself couldn't reproduce this level of intensity after that.

I think these are essential recordings to understand Miles.Ā  Unfortunately all of them are not issued properly except some bootlegs (the sound quality of most of them are pretty good).Ā  I hope Sony releases them as a part of The Bootleg Series someday...

• June 19, 1973, in Tokyo (AKA "Black Satin" or "Unreachable Station")
  • May 28, 1974, in Sao Paulo
  • January 22, 1975, in Tokyo (AKA "Another Unity", even better than Agharta/Pangaea)
Edited by mhatta

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yes, that was the first occasion I saw Miles after his comeback. He did a few towns in Europe in spring 1982 but to far away for me at that time since I was working.... (Londra, some town in Germany).Ā 
So the first was Miles with both Stern and Scofield , sadly with a less known bassist than Marcus Miller (Tom Barney), and thanks god still with Al Foster.Ā 

This was still a real band playing the music. Some like Scofield more, I liked Mike Stern more.Ā 
Later Mike Stern returned for a tour in late 1985, I saw that too, it had a female percussionist from Danemarca,Ā 

But really; I love the 1973-74 bands very much, they got me into listening to Dave Liebman, who became an all time favourite of mine. And yeah: Mike Henderson, Al Foster, Mtume....heaven on earth...., it was our time, our heroes

8 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

My interpretation is Sony just doesnā€™t think thereā€™s that much buyerĀ appetite for this music, rightly or wrongly.

and my interpretation of that is that those are just some lazy halfass motherfuckers.

not that they're the only ones...dolts handling genius is pretty much the norm these days...they call it "curating" or something.

Well, now I want to hear that Black SatinĀ boot. I wish Sony would've passed on that "Freedom Jazz Dance" (I think that's what it was called)Ā bootleg volumeĀ and focused instead on the early to mid-70's. I'd rather listen to theĀ albumĀ Miles SmilesĀ than some exploded version of it.

Proof is in the pudding; I'll wait and see - this '80s thing or a mid '70s Miles live thing could be either great or meh.

And I think the Freedom Jazz Dance set is a worthy addendum to the '60s Quintet box.Ā  But I might have included it in the box and then made the break to the Silent Way box earlier, say at "Circle In the Round".

On 2/22/2022 at 11:59 AM, JSngry said:

81-85 can be good, but...we still need to cover the Pete Cosey bands!

This.

I also say first IĀ“ll see what the issue.Ā 
If it is 1973-75....I already have the Dark Magus, Aghartha and Pangeea, all of them live albums, but Dark Magus I like most. And I have the 1973 Vienna, which I saw on TV at that time. 1974 in Brasilia could be interesting, maybe.Ā 

IĀ“d like to hear another good live performance from 1981. We Want Miles is the greatest, but almost all the good stuff is from the club gig at KIX in Boston.Ā 
I think 2 years ago my wife bought me a bootleg of Miles 1981 at Hollywood Bowl, were he is celebrated with "Miles Davis Day". But to my disappointment , other than at the KIX club, he plays mostly muted and barely audible. I like the strong open Horn from the KIX. I saw some TV of Miles in Japan in octombrie 1981 too, but itĀ“s again almost only muted in pianissimo.....

Maybe? But fully?

ZWc.jpeg+

ZWc.jpeg

https://www.discogs.com/release/4357356-Miles-Davis-Black-Satin

1-1 Ā  Turnaroundphrase 12:27
1-2 Ā  Tune In 5 9:23
1-3 Ā  Right Off 1:25
1-4 Ā  Funk 10:50
1-5 Ā  Tune In 5 10:35
2-1 Ā  Ife 22:19
2-2 Ā  Agharta Prelude 9:50
2-3 Ā  Zimbabwe 13:22