BFT 215 reveal

mikeweil

The theme of this BFT is a small independent label located in Nürnberg, South East Germany, meta records, founded in 1999 by Johannes Reichert and Ralf Altrieth. They feature contemporary jazz by local Southern German and Swiss artists, some baroque and classical, experimental and crossover stuff (Reichert is a countertenor and recorded some interesting Purcell projects).. I learned about them when I heard track 7 from this BFT on the radio in the car when some new CDs were presented. I liked it so much that I looked for the label on the web when back home, and ordered the CD. I studied their catalogue, listened to some samples and ordered some more over the years. These are some tracks that I like most, but with some CDs I had a hard time selecting, as the tracks are rather diverse, and all are interesting. All are more group efforts than simple blowing vehicles featuring solos, a collective spirit is common to all tracks which is what attracts me to this music more than conventionally structured jazz focussing on solos, although there are some great solos here, too.
A kind of sub-theme is the music and playing of the Arbenz brothers, pianist Michael and drummer Florian, whose band Vein is one of the most intriguing piano trios on the scene: I find them a lot more interesting than EST or other Jarrett derived trios focussing more or less on the pianist. Vein is a true collective band of equally featured members beyond the traditional role models. They invite American jazz soloist as guests every now and then, like Dave Liebman, Bennie Maupin, or Greg Osby (German critic Ulrich Ohlshausen wrote that they were coaxing the best out of Osby). I pre-ordered the next album to be issued in March - Our Roots, to be found on their homepage. Beat-o-Vein .......

Most of these CDs can be found on discogs. You can order from the label directly, but US forum members probably fare better when getting together for one big order in case you're interested. Most of them are available for streaming or download, too.

Track 1: Dead Lilies (Marcel Lüscher)
Yum Yum Yum: Marcel Lüscher cl, leader; Thomas Lüscher ep; Luca Sierra b; Beni Bürgin d.
recorded October 1-2, 2007, Zurich
from meta 045 Dead Lilies
Yum Yum Yum is the groups of Swiss saxist/clarinettist Marcel Lüscher, who seems to be rather underrecorded. I love his tone and sensitivity. 

ZWc.jpeg

Track 2: Ligeti Eats Spaghetti (Florian Arbenz)
Vein: Florian Arbenz d; Thomas Lähns b; Michael Arbenz p.
recorded February 2008, Zurich
from meta 046 outstage

The title is a good example of the humorous approach to song titles - the music is a good sample of their unorthodox and equally humorous approach to jazz tradition elements.

ZWc.jpeg

Track 3: To You (Michael Arbenz)
Michael Arbenz p; Tibor Elekes b; Florian Arbenz d; Greg Osby as.
recorded live September 25, 2000, Basel
from meta 011 New Connexion featuring Greg Osby

Very different moods on the tracks on this CD. I was surprised that Osby was identified right away, but that's due to my listening habits. New Connexion was one of the early incarnations of the Vein trio.

MTc3OC5qcGVn.jpeg 

Track 4: 5:45 h (Lukas Mantel)
Quetzal: Veronika Stalder (right channel) & Nina Gutknecht (left channel) v; Urs Müller g; Simon Iten b; Lukas Mantel d, leader.
recorded June 2009
from meta 056 Quetzal - 5:45 h

Quetzal was one the groups of drummer Lukas Mantel, who started more as a HipHop drummer but then opened up to jazz etc. 

ZWc.jpegZWc.jpeg

Track 5: Los Sientos (from Oblivion by A. Piazolla, adapted by Florian Arbenz)
Florian Arbenz d, leader; Bennie Maupin ts; Kirk Lightsey p; Tibor Elekes b;
recorded October 22, 2000, Basel
from meta 009 Florian Arbenz - Level 4
Since Bennie Maupin is one of my favourites I wanted to have this CD right away when I saw it in the label's catalogue, but it was out of print. Only 500 copies were made, and it took me some years to locate a used copy. Maupin is great, but Kirk Lightsey almost steals the show here, I never heard him play better, building his solo to a dramatic climax, but the tango song structure is always felt. The Piazolla piece was written for a movie soundtracks and adapted by the drummer. The CD "case is made from cardboard and can be attached to the wall with a tack. Very nice feature but probably too costly in the long run, as the label switched to digipaks.

ZWc.jpegZWc.jpeg

Track 6: Twelve (Florian Arbenz)
New Jazz Trio: Michael Arbenz p; Friedemann Rabe b; Florian Arbenz d; featuring Matthieu Michel flgh; Glenn Ferris tb; Carlo Schöb ts.
recorded December 1998, Winterthur
from meta 003 New Jazz Trio - "so...!" 

Another early version of Vein, this time with three guests. Flügelhornist Matthieau Michael has a gorgeous tone!

ZWc.jpeg

Track 7: Schubiger (Marcel Lüscher)
Yum Yum Yum: Marcel Lüscher bcl, leader; Thomas Lüscher p; Luca Sierra b; Beni Bürgin d.
recorded October 1-2, 2007, Zurich
from meta 045 Yum Yum Yum - Dead Lilies
This was the track I heard on the radio that led me to order the CD and explore the label. I love the rhythm and groove, the bass clarinet, and its dark humor.

ZWc.jpeg

Track 8: Down Town (Franz Hellmüller)
H2S2: Alex Hendriksen ts; Franz Hellmüller g; Luca Siera b; Michael Stulz d.
recorded April 207, Zürich
from meta 040 H2S2 - Dance In Town
The band's name is derived from the first letters of the band members' last names. All tracks on this CD are equally good. I love the 13/4 beat here (3-3-3-4).

ZWc.jpeg

Track 9: Sat3xq4 (Michael Arbenz)
Florian Arbenz d, leader; Bennie Maupin ts; Kirk Lightsey p; Tibor Elekes b;
recorded October 22, 2000, Basel
from meta 009 Florian Arbenz - Level 4
I hear a reminiscence of "Take The Coltrane" from Duke's album with Trane on Impulse here. Arbenz has his own style of driving swing to push the band. 

ZWc.jpeg

Track 10: Face Time with a Blues (Florian Arbenz)
Vein: Florian Arbenz d; Thomas Lähns b; Michael Arbenz p.
recorded February 2008, Zurich
from meta 046 outstage
This is a nice example of the trio's creative approach to jazz tradition. And it's never a bad choice to end a BFT with a blues - or something like it ....

ZWc.jpeg

Thanks to all for your listening time - as always it was great entertainment for me to read your answers. I wanted to try something different. My next BFT will have more food for guessing.

Edited by mikeweil

22 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I really enjoyed this BFT, nicely off the beaten track and good to have some European focus too. Obviously difficult to ID but there was fun to be had trying.

thanks for putting this selection together. I now have a couple of new to me musicians to investigate

+1

(emphasis added)