Great Space-Age LPs Hidden in the Jazz Section

On 3/5/2022 at 10:31 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

More like the British Mancini.  He did lots of cool library stuff.  Here is one of his 1960s scores.

BTW, I'm finishing up the book Vic Flick autobiography "Guitarman", and he has some very unflattering things to say about your boy John Barry.

One time EMI wanted to make him the "next Duane Eddy", and JB told them, "No, he's under contract with The John Barry Seven", which was complete BS!

He spends quite a few pages getting revenge on JB, as well as many other people in the UK music business. There are also some hilarious stories of the numerous blunders in the British recording studios of the 50s and 60s. He even lets "Sir" George Martin, The Beatles, Jimmy Page, Streisand, Shirley Bassey, CILLA BLACK(!), and many others have it- of course in a very gentlemanly way. I think he was quite upset about too many people saying 'Vic who?'

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, sgcim said:

BTW, I'm finishing up the book Vic Flick autobiography "Guitarman", and he has some very unflattering things to say about your boy John Barry.

One time EMI wanted to make him the "next Duane Eddy", and JB told them, "No, he's under contract with The John Barry Seven", which was complete BS!

He spends quite a few pages getting revenge on JB, as well as many other people in the UK music business. There are also some hilarious stories of the numerous blunders in the British recording studios of the 50s and 60s. He even lets "Sir" George Martin, The Beatles, Jimmy Page, Streisand, Shirley Bassey, CILLA BLACK(!), and many others have it- of course in a very gentlemanly way. I think he was quite upset about too many people saying 'Vic who?'

Despite my profile pic, I would not characterize myself as a John Barry fan.  I do like his Bond scores through Diamonds are Forever, and I also like The Ipcress File and The Knack (and How to Get It).   That's about the extent of it.  I admire Barry as the primary architect of the 60s spy sound, which I adore, but I think that others such as Lalo Schifrin, Jerry Goldsmith, Laurie Johnson, and Edwin Astley did much more with the same ingredients. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

10 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Despite my profile pic, I would not characterize myself as a John Barry fan.  I do like his Bond scores through Diamonds are Forever, and I also like The Ipcress File and The Knack (and How to Get It).   That's about the extent of it.  I admire Barry as the primary architect of the 60s spy sound, which I adore, but I think that others such as Lalo Schifrin, Jerry Goldsmith, Laurie Johnson, and Edwin Ashley did much more with the same ingredients. 

Because of your profile pic, I think I was confusing you with the author of that book on Crime and Spy Jazz, who worships the ground JB walks on. I was surprised to find out that he didn't write the Bond Theme, that Flick became famous for; it was settled in court that Monty Norman wrote it. JB and Flick got together and worked out an arrangement of it, but Flick didn't get a cent for the guitar lick. Norman made hundreds of thousands of pounds, JB made millions from the spin-off, and Flick made seven pounds ten shillings!jj

In "From Russia With Love", Flick came up to a part marked "Solo, E minor", but the orchestra stopped playing. He asked JB what to do. "It's a Gypsy encampment- think of something" he replied, with that-leave-it-up-to-the-sideman-the-royalties-are-all-mine look in his eyes. Flick watched the scene and improvised something to it. Again, no royalties.

In a film JB was writing called "Deadfall" the producers wanted JB to write a guitar concerto for a scene taking place next to a concert hall where the bank robbers were robbing a bank. He called Flick over to his pool, and JB was lying on a chaise lounge with his eyes closed, conducting with his right hand. Flick said hello, and after asking Flick how he was doing, JB handed him a little sketch. JB said, "This needs to be scored for guitar- make it last about five minutes with lots of variation and plenty of big chords."

Flick worked on it for a few days, and gave it to JB. The film came out to good reviews, and the classical guitar soloist who played the part was interviewed in the paper. She said, "JB's score is beautiful, and he is a master of writing for the guitar. His guitar music was a joy to play."

JB gave no credit to Flick.

5 minutes ago, sgcim said:

... I was surprised to find out that he didn't write the Bond Theme, that Flick became famous for; it was settled in court that Monty Norman wrote it. JB and Flick got together and worked out an arrangement of it, but Flick didn't get a cent for the guitar lick. Norman made hundreds of thousands of pounds, JB made millions from the spin-off, and Flick made seven pounds ten shillings!

It ultimately worked out well for both Barry and Norman.  Barry got the gig, and Norman got a cut of every subsequent film, because elements of the James Bond Theme were always quoted.  

Those other Barry stories you referenced do not surprise me in the least. 

On 3/5/2022 at 9:31 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

More like the British Mancini.  He did lots of cool library stuff.  Here is one of his 1960s scores.

Keating's aptly named late '50s big band album "Swinging Scots," released in the U.S. on the Dot label, is a gem.

Fine lineup --- two nicely contrasted tenormen, the estimable Ronnie  ross  on baritone and a formidable batch of trumpeters

JOHNNY KEATING — SWINGING SCOTS

Jazz music community with review and forums

JOHNNY KEATING - Swinging Scots cover
0.00 0 rating | 0 review

Buy this album from MMA partners

Album · 1957

Filed under Big Band
By JOHNNY KEATING
more

Tracklist

Line-up/Musicians

Alto Saxophone – George Hunter, Ronnie Baker
Baritone Saxophone – Ronnie Ross
Bass – Jack Seymour
Conductor, Arranged By – Johnny Keating 
Drums – Bobby Orr
Guitar – Alan Metcalfe
Piano – Andy Dennits
Tenor Saxophone – Duncan Lamont, Tommy Whittle
Trombone – George Chisholm, Jock Bain , Jim Wilson , Wally Smith
Trumpet – Bobby Pratt, Duncan Campbell, Eddie Blair, Jimmy Deuchar, Tommy McQuater
Tuba – Burt Harden 
Written-By – Johnny Keating

About this release

Dot Records ‎– DLP 3066 (US)

Thanks to snobb for the addition and js for the updates

BUY JOHNNY KEAT

My son wonders if anyone here has run into some Dolby Atmos stuff and if so, what they think about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Norman Paris led the band on I've Got A Secret on CBS.

Thanks!  He also has involvement with Arlene Francis's show.  I'm on a What's My Line kick, and I'm finding all these Six Degrees of Arlene Francis connections. 

It is humbling to listen to albums by artists who are forgotten or were unknown to begin with.  This is a really good album.  Interesting arrangements and harmonies.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Some of the cues on I've Got A Secret are a bit unexpected. Some, not many. But enough.

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I'm on a What's My Line kick, and I'm finding all these Six Degrees of Arlene Francis connections. 

If you catch an episode of The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour (as tragic as it sounds) that she's on, a whole new world of six degrees will open right before your very eyes 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

How do you turn a jazz album into a space-age bachelor pad album?  One way is by hiring Roy Harte and Milt Holland to overdub percussion instruments onto existing recordings.  And that is precisely what Richard Bock of Pacific Jazz fame did with some Mastersounds recordings for this 1961 LP, Perfect Percussion.