Okay, with apologies for the slight delay, here is Blindfold Test #216 for March.  Nine songs, quite all over the place, so first, a word about my process.  Throughout the year as something really grabs me, I'll make a list for what to include in the BFT.  Before compiling, I search to make sure the songs haven't already appeared in a BFT* (*this is an imperfect science as it HAS happened several times, but I DO try).  With apologies in advance to Jim, I promise man, I'm not trying to send you over the edge with the length of these tunes -- it's just the way it worked out.  However, since Jim laid a Rusty Staub on me, I'm going to ask that you think of these tracks as a Juan Marichal or Luis Tiant outing, not this "opener" crap.  ;) 

Test can be found for listening or download here:  http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

There is at least one "gimme" (probably 2), and at least one "is not possible" (probably 2). 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Track 2 is from this recording: 

ZWc.jpeg

tenor sax feature: Alone Together (Arthur Schwartz/Howard Dietz) Harold Land

trumpet feature: Summertime (George & Ira Gershwin/DuBose Heyward) the high note theatrics indicate its Maynard Ferguson, not Clifford Borwn or Clark Terry

Vocal feature: Come Rain Or Come Shine (Harold Arlen/Johnny Mercer) Dinah Washington

Max Roach: drums

The rest of the rhythm section is unclear, as two pianists and bassists took part.

Richie Powell or Junior Mance - piano

Keter Betts or George Morrow - bass

Sorry, I had to listen to track 2 first...

Correct.  One of the gimmes nailed.  I will say up front, I'm hoping the hive mind can clear up the muddled personnel information.  I'm positive of the IDs you made, but have the same questions about the rhythm section.  FWIW, my source material was a digital version of the CB EmArcy box set.

1 - Sounds like a Getz/Baker collab? Sounds like something they'd have done and the trumpet seems to stay around that Baker sweet spot. 

2 - Gimme eh? Hmmmm.... Medley as the intro segues into Summertime where the trumpeter shows big time chops. Wow. So is this Ella and Pops with the chops? 

3 - Yusef maybe? Or could it be Frank Wess? Good song. 

4 - Weston? This intro section is getting a little long-toothed...bass solo is way more interesting. Hope it's not Weston or anyone I dig because the piano kind of drags this song. 

5 - Another good bass solo. I hear a guitar comp but I'm guessing they don't solo? How about that. 

6 - I don't know this song but I like it. Spaulding or Wess on flute? 

7 - Distinctive guitar but I can't place it. Or is it guitars? Effects are substantial. Al Foster drumming maybe?  

8 - Title is obvious but not sure about the singer or group. Tuba makes me think of the Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra. 

9 - Almost a Jamaican or Caribbean arrangement on those horns. No clue as to who this is. 

Just now, Dub Modal said:

1 - Sounds like a Getz/Baker collab? Sounds like something they'd have done and the trumpet seems to stay around that Baker sweet spot. 

Negative. 

2 - Gimme eh? Hmmmm.... Medley as the intro segues into Summertime where the trumpeter shows big time chops. Wow. So is this Ella and Pops with the chops? 

Not them -- ID'd by Ken Dryden.

3 - Yusef maybe? Or could it be Frank Wess? Good song. 

Love those guesses, but they are not correct.  I think the player would feel good about this.

4 - Weston? This intro section is getting a little long-toothed...bass solo is way more interesting. Hope it's not Weston or anyone I dig because the piano kind of drags this song. 

Not Randy, but I think if you reframe what you're hearing, you'll be closer.

5 - Another good bass solo. I hear a guitar comp but I'm guessing they don't solo? How about that. 

You may hear it, but it's actually Rhodes.  Love the bass solo.

6 - I don't know this song but I like it. Spaulding or Wess on flute? 

No, sir.

7 - Distinctive guitar but I can't place it. Or is it guitars? Effects are substantial. Al Foster drumming maybe?  

One guitar, not Al.

8 - Title is obvious but not sure about the singer or group. Tuba makes me think of the Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra. 

Ding! Ding!  But love for some more specifics.

9 - Almost a Jamaican or Caribbean arrangement on those horns. No clue as to who this is. 

Almost.

Track 1: "April in Paris" highly reminiscent of the famous Basie version, right down to the "Pop Goes the Weasel" opening quote. Basie = Thad connections and it's from TJ's The Magnificent album.

Edited by BillF

20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

April in Thaddeus, where did all those pigeons come from?

I actually thought that was Charlie Shavers until it obviously became Maynard.

Ding!  Ding!  Second gimme falls.

4 minutes ago, BillF said:

Track 1: "April in Paris" highly reminiscent of the famous Basie version, right down to the "pop Goes the Weasel" opening quote. Basie = Thad connections and it's frm TJ's The Magnificent album.

Correct, sir!

I'm hearing a Mal Waldron trio with a bass player I should be able to ID?

That's all the immediate first-listen responses for now (except for the "Windows" wannabe thing that is kinda irking me for being so cute and obvious), will try to get a unified response this weekend.

Okay, let me try myself at this agian .....

Track 1: A long time favourite of mine, from this album. Recognized from the first bar. Favourite trumpet player of mine, bought the CD as soon as it was out, although I had Japanese LPs.

Track 2: So this is a giveaway track? I haven't heard this one before. Medley: Alone Together, Summertime with a showoff trumpet player - Shavers? Come Rain Or Shine - Dinah Washington?  

Track 3; Reminds me of some of Coltrane's ballad style tunes from the Impulse years, like Welcome, but this is not Trane. Not his tone, but clearly inspired by him.

More tomorrow, I won't look at the others' guesses. 

Well, the long songs and your own commentary style bring out long commentary from me.  Sorry in advance, as my meanderings are not nearly as interesting to follow as yours!

1 – “April in Paris” of course.   I assume this is the “gimme”, track one from this gem:  Love the feel of the rhythm section!  Golden time.

2 – Ye old ballad medley. Again feels like it hearkens back to a different era, the 50’s.   Second cut is clearly “Summertime”, and at first I was thinking Roy Eldridge, but the forced high notes move me to Maynard Ferguson.  Aah, Dinah Washington, so it’s cuts 2/3/4 from this, another gimme!

3 – This one is lovely.  Obviously a couple decades later than the first two cuts.   Reminds me of Theresa-era Pharoah Sanders.

4 – We’ve now entered serious Felser zone!  That’s one strange stereo landscape on this track.   Really enjoying the bass playing on this.  Seems like it should be Mal Waldron and Gary Peacock from the ‘First Encounter’ album, which is in serious need of a CD reissue, but I can’t match this track to that album.   Has to be Waldron and some monster bass player in the 1970’s, correct?  He did a lot of this sort of thing, and I gladly have a ton of it, but am not great at differentiating the songs and albums.  If for some reason I don’t have this, and it is on CD and doesn’t require a second mortgage to buy, I’ll gladly pick it up.

5 – I like this a lot, too!   I’m thinking that Chester Thompson ‘Powerhouse’ album on Black Jazz, but can’t match a cut on it to this.  Again, seems like it has to be from the 70’s, wonderful musical time.  Whatever this is, I don’t think I have it, and count me in for trying to pick it up!

6 – That’s a pretty tune, though I’m not sure why they try to funk it up on the choruses – sort of gives me whiplash.  Also guessing the 70’s on this one, but then, that’s just sort of where my brain lives (60’s and 70’s), so I have mental bias.  Rhythm section doesn’t sound present day to me at all, way too much in the pocket.  Not really sold on the drummer, but the bass player has my ear big time, and I do like the pianist.

7 – Sort of bashes you in the head coming out of #6.  We’ll see if I make it through all 14 minutes.  Not feeling it.   They can play, and want you to know it.   What hath (Mahavishnu) John McLaughlin wrought?  Also some Sonny Sharrock in there.  They clearly spent their youths memorizing every note on ‘Emergency’.   But they’re missing someone to be Larry Young.  Actually, it’s growing on me at around the 3 minute mark.    But I bet there’s going to be a long drum solo for me to skip through (my general practice).   At 5:30 mark, I am now actively enjoying this, the guitarist has won me over.  After all, I love those first three electric Mahavishnu albums, and ‘The Inner-Mounting Flame’ was a musical life changer for me.   Drummer is more Billy Cobham than Tony Williams.  Bash-o-matic.  But that’s what this requires to work.   Bowed bass and guitar harmonics at 8:00 are making me antsy.   Must-not-fast-forward!   OK, track is DOA for me at 9:00, and nothing in my skipping forward pulls me back in.

8 - Based on “Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child”.   And I don’t do sax quartets, though I haven’t turned this one off yet.  Now there's a tuba and a Joe Lee Wilson type of singer.  Not feeling warm and fuzzy about this lasting 14 minutes plus, but we'll see.   Now a big band just showed up!  Strange track.  Archie Shepp just showed up for a tenor solo?  And he sounds great!  So seems like it can’t really be Archie, he doesn’t sound like that anymore, and the live recording quality seems too good to be 70’s Archie.  Could be 80’s Archie?  Fascinating track.   Nice bass solo.  Make that a GREAT bass solo.   I want it to be from that Shepp ‘Attica Blues Big Band’ set from the 80’s, but it isn’t.   I don’t do solo bass albums, but I could maybe do one by this guy.   Gotta have this track/album!  This is the sort of thing Roy Brooks and Mtume were trying to do on some of those early 70’s albums, but those never came off as good as this cut does (though I love them for their reach – fascinating listens). 

9 – A lot of fine bass playing on this BFT.  South African kind of vibe, which generally doesn’t appeal to me.  We’ll see if I can make it through 12 minutes.  It just exited South Africa and entered the Felser Zone with that tenor solo.    Sounds like Don Cherry, so I’m expecting this to be from the Abdullah Ibrahim ‘The Journey’ album, but it’s not!   He loves his mama, and she sounds amazing to me.  I don’t have this, whatever it is, and will be looking to pick it up.  Ending seems to hold lots of clues, but I still can’t place it.

Absolutely every cut I don’t know draws my interest, finding some of them (4, and especially 8 and 9) will now become obsessions! Thanks so much and can’t wait for the reveal!  Could end up being a very expensive BFT for me.  Well done!

edit:

OK, so the singer in #8 would be Dwight Trible, a favorite of both yours and mine.

second edit:

Is this the source?  Wishing and hoping it is something on a legit CD:

http://inconstantsol.blogspot.com/2013/05/horace-tapscott-pan-african-peoples.html

Edited by felser

10 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Okay, let me try myself at this agian .....

Track 1: A long time favourite of mine, from this album. Recognized from the first bar. Favourite trumpet player of mine, bought the CD as soon as it was out, although I had Japanese LPs.

Yes, ID'd above.

Track 2: So this is a giveaway track? I haven't heard this one before. Medley: Alone Together, Summertime with a showoff trumpet player - Shavers? Come Rain Or Shine - Dinah Washington?  

Second who heard Shavers, but ID'd above.  Correct on Dinah.

Track 3; Reminds me of some of Coltrane's ballad style tunes from the Impulse years, like Welcome, but this is not Trane. Not his tone, but clearly inspired by him.

Agree -- definite Trane influence, but a unique voice.

More tomorrow, I won't look at the others' guesses. 

We'll be here, sir!

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

See, Charlie Shavers! I was not crazy for thinking that!

I think MF ought to be flattered by that.

10 hours ago, felser said:

Well, the long songs and your own commentary style bring out long commentary from me.  Sorry in advance, as my meanderings are not nearly as interesting to follow as yours!

I doubt that. ;)

1 – “April in Paris” of course.   I assume this is the “gimme”, track one from this gem:  Love the feel of the rhythm section!  Golden time.

Yep.

2 – Ye old ballad medley. Again feels like it hearkens back to a different era, the 50’s.   Second cut is clearly “Summertime”, and at first I was thinking Roy Eldridge, but the forced high notes move me to Maynard Ferguson.  Aah, Dinah Washington, so it’s cuts 2/3/4 from this, another gimme!

Correct, sir!

3 – This one is lovely.  Obviously a couple decades later than the first two cuts.   Reminds me of Theresa-era Pharoah Sanders.

I like the comp, but definitely his own avenue in that neighborhood... or is it?

4 – We’ve now entered serious Felser zone!  That’s one strange stereo landscape on this track.   Really enjoying the bass playing on this.  Seems like it should be Mal Waldron and Gary Peacock from the ‘First Encounter’ album, which is in serious need of a CD reissue, but I can’t match this track to that album.   Has to be Waldron and some monster bass player in the 1970’s, correct?  He did a lot of this sort of thing, and I gladly have a ton of it, but am not great at differentiating the songs and albums.  If for some reason I don’t have this, and it is on CD and doesn’t require a second mortgage to buy, I’ll gladly pick it up.

You are spot on with Mal.  And with the monster bass player, but I wouldn't limit him to the 70s.

5 – I like this a lot, too!   I’m thinking that Chester Thompson ‘Powerhouse’ album on Black Jazz, but can’t match a cut on it to this.  Again, seems like it has to be from the 70’s, wonderful musical time.  Whatever this is, I don’t think I have it, and count me in for trying to pick it up!

I need to look into Powerhouse as this is the second time I've seen it referenced this week.  I'm certain these players would be flattered by the comp to music of the 70s.

6 – That’s a pretty tune, though I’m not sure why they try to funk it up on the choruses – sort of gives me whiplash.  Also guessing the 70’s on this one, but then, that’s just sort of where my brain lives (60’s and 70’s), so I have mental bias.  Rhythm section doesn’t sound present day to me at all, way too much in the pocket.  Not really sold on the drummer, but the bass player has my ear big time, and I do like the pianist.

Just outside the 70s, so, 70s.  Your ears do not lie, though the pianist is still active.  Kind of surprised by your reaction to the drummer.  You might want to give it one more run, as he someone you know.

7 – Sort of bashes you in the head coming out of #6.  We’ll see if I make it through all 14 minutes.  Not feeling it.   They can play, and want you to know it.   What hath (Mahavishnu) John McLaughlin wrought?  Also some Sonny Sharrock in there.  They clearly spent their youths memorizing every note on ‘Emergency’.   But they’re missing someone to be Larry Young.  Actually, it’s growing on me at around the 3 minute mark.    But I bet there’s going to be a long drum solo for me to skip through (my general practice).   At 5:30 mark, I am now actively enjoying this, the guitarist has won me over.  After all, I love those first three electric Mahavishnu albums, and ‘The Inner-Mounting Flame’ was a musical life changer for me.   Drummer is more Billy Cobham than Tony Williams.  Bash-o-matic.  But that’s what this requires to work.   Bowed bass and guitar harmonics at 8:00 are making me antsy.   Must-not-fast-forward!   OK, track is DOA for me at 9:00, and nothing in my skipping forward pulls me back in.

I'm proud of you for making it 9!  Ironically, the bass player sells this for me, but I like where your ear took you on the guitarist.  The bashing drummer is very capable of that, but also very capable of a more tasteful approach.  I think this one is going to surprise some people.

8 - Based on “Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child”.   And I don’t do sax quartets, though I haven’t turned this one off yet.  Now there's a tuba and a Joe Lee Wilson type of singer.  Not feeling warm and fuzzy about this lasting 14 minutes plus, but we'll see.   Now a big band just showed up!  Strange track.  Archie Shepp just showed up for a tenor solo?  And he sounds great!  So seems like it can’t really be Archie, he doesn’t sound like that anymore, and the live recording quality seems too good to be 70’s Archie.  Could be 80’s Archie?  Fascinating track.   Nice bass solo.  Make that a GREAT bass solo.   I want it to be from that Shepp ‘Attica Blues Big Band’ set from the 80’s, but it isn’t.   I don’t do solo bass albums, but I could maybe do one by this guy.   Gotta have this track/album!  This is the sort of thing Roy Brooks and Mtume were trying to do on some of those early 70’s albums, but those never came off as good as this cut does (though I love them for their reach – fascinating listens). 

I was hopeful this one would hit for you.  A lot of names that I'm sure grace your shelves are in this band.  And yes, the bass player.

9 – A lot of fine bass playing on this BFT.  South African kind of vibe, which generally doesn’t appeal to me.  We’ll see if I can make it through 12 minutes.  It just exited South Africa and entered the Felser Zone with that tenor solo.    Sounds like Don Cherry, so I’m expecting this to be from the Abdullah Ibrahim ‘The Journey’ album, but it’s not!   He loves his mama, and she sounds amazing to me.  I don’t have this, whatever it is, and will be looking to pick it up.  Ending seems to hold lots of clues, but I still can’t place it.

You will want this one.  Did you feel anything Sheppish about this tenor player? (And I KNEW you be in on the tenor!)

Absolutely every cut I don’t know draws my interest, finding some of them (4, and especially 8 and 9) will now become obsessions! Thanks so much and can’t wait for the reveal!  Could end up being a very expensive BFT for me.  Well done!

edit:

OK, so the singer in #8 would be Dwight Trible, a favorite of both yours and mine.

BAM!!!!

second edit:

Is this the source?  Wishing and hoping it is something on a legit CD:

http://inconstantsol.blogspot.com/2013/05/horace-tapscott-pan-african-peoples.html

BAM!!!  You got it!