12 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Continued listening to the tracks ....

Track 4: Mal Waldron? Reminds me of an album of his I have but haven't listened to in a long time.

Sorry, was interrupted. Will continue tomorrow.

Is indeed Mal -- (someone got that far above) but album has not been ID'd.  Felser had a guess but a different album.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

"You use your tongue purtier than a 20 dollar whore"? 

Attaboy.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't been 'round these parts for a while, but decided I wanted to jump back into the BFTs this month, even before I knew my buddy Thom was doing it. Bonus! I wrote these comments as I was listening, and was careful not to read any previous posts first (but will go back and do that now)...

Track 1 - Gotta love the simplicity of the intro. April in Paris, of course. Beautiful tone on the trumpet player! Oh man... and let's say the same for the tenor player as well, that is gorgeous. Any chance this is Chet Baker? Not very confident in that guess, but it's something. That's a beautiful trumpet solo. Lyrical, dynamic, emotional. The rhythm section is flawless and supportive throughout. Hard to guess on a lot of the players but I really enjoyed this.

Track 2 - Ah! Harold Land. Jim, I can name that sax player in 3 notes. ;) That sound!! And it's Alone Together. Hmmm...what group is this though? Maybe Curtis Counce? Oh interesting... a medley. Whoa! That trumpet player sounds from another era. Roy Eldridge? Is this one of those "Jam Session" recordings? Oh wait, would that be Clifford Brown then? Doesn't sound like him though. Holy high notes, Batman! I love how into it the crowd is. Oh yeah... so this must be Dinah Washington singing, on Come Rain or Come Shine? This is good overall... the Land portion at the beginning is definitely my favorite part though. Washington sounds pretty fantastic on that too.

Track 3 - Well this is off to an interesting start. What A Difference A Day Makes? I think I have that right. That *is* a soprano, right? The tone is amazing! Soooo smooth, I was questioning whether it was an alto at first. No hard edge at all. Wow. I don't think I've ever heard a soprano sound quite so beautiful. Also hard to tell if that's a bass or a cello underneath. Oh no, it does sound like a bass... he hit a low note right as I typed that. Well, I don't think I have any guesses but I love this a lot. I am floating...

Track 4 - Damn, what an intro... that left hand... the bass... wait a minute. Mal Waldron. I think I just listened to this recently. Reggie Workman on bass and Smilin' Billy on the drums. What can I say? A 10 out of 10. Who else can build a tune like this, out of so few raw elements? This performance was forged in fire. Such a simple tune, and they take it to so many different places over the course of the 13 minutes.

Track 5 - Hahaha, this is the Jeff Lebowski Quintet - Live at the Bowling Alley. I can't really say too much on this one because I have inside info. But I will say that these are some BAAAAAAAD mofos!! 11 stars out of 10. In all seriousness, I loooove this tune and every one of the musicians here.

Track 6 - Right from the get-go, we're dancing... ooooh, this is good. What a beautiful feeling the rhythm section has. I find the "B" section a little jarring and out of character with the rest of the tune. I'm sure that's the point but it doesn't totally work for me. Very nice flute playing. Piano solo--excellent. I feel like this is a bass player I know. Great sound and feeling. And a fantastic solo. Too short! Getting a bit of Buster Williams in there, but I don't think it's him. No guesses, but I liked this a lot.

Track 7 - Boom! Boy, now we're in different territory. I love the nebulous, broken-up, and spacey feel of this groove. Oh yes!! William Parker, Mayan Space Station! With Ava Mendoza SHREDDING on guitar, and Gerald Cleaver on drums. The groove on this is SOOO deep, oh my god I love it. I couldn't wait to get this one when I saw it announced. I caught Ava Mendoza at a local show years ago, with her trio at that time. Unfortunately there were only about 4 or 5 of us in the audience but Sweet Jesus, they had to peel us off the back wall. It was a night I won't ever forget. Hearing her in this trio is even more mind-bending. Another 10 out of 10, easy.

Track 8 - The tune is Motherless Child and I am loving this alto player out on a limb here... putting it all out there. Oh wow... is this the World Saxophone Quartet or something? This is magical. Talk about ears! Whoever this is, they're playing like they're of one mind & body. ...okay... wow. I had to stop typing for a minute while absorbing the singer & the tuba player. Hell yes, here we go. Um... this is so good I am going to just stop again now. And listen. ... So... KILLER, KILLER sax solo...two drummers... the band is ON FIRE. The bass solo is next level. WTF!? I am at a loss for words to exptess how much I love this. This has Tapscott written all over it to me, but I don't know it. I need it!!! :o

Track 9 - Aha, again! This is Mwata Bowden, 1 Foot in 1 Foot Out, with Harrison Bankhead, Avreeayl Ra, Ari Brown, and Khari B with some powerful words about "Mama Ann" Ward. Oh shoot, I've forgotten the name of the trumpet player... not a well-known name I don't think, but I presume one of the AACM guys. This album is one of my favorite recent discoveries. Bowden isn't well known outside of Chicago and that's a shame. He's one of the most formidable and generous musicians I've ever had the privilege to see perform. Another 10 out of 10, 5 star, A+ record, however you want to put it. This has everything I want from music.

I feel a little like I cheated on this, because a couple of these you got from me, and the others... well, our tastes are obviously very similar. :D But I can't remember another BFT where I pretty much loved every tune. Great stuff man. Thanks for your efforts, will be anxiously looking forward to the reveal on the stuff that I don't know here!!

56 minutes ago, webbcity said:

Haven't been 'round these parts for a while, but decided I wanted to jump back into the BFTs this month, even before I knew my buddy Thom was doing it. Bonus! I wrote these comments as I was listening, and was careful not to read any previous posts first (but will go back and do that now)...

Track 1 - Gotta love the simplicity of the intro. April in Paris, of course. Beautiful tone on the trumpet player! Oh man... and let's say the same for the tenor player as well, that is gorgeous. Any chance this is Chet Baker? Not very confident in that guess, but it's something. That's a beautiful trumpet solo. Lyrical, dynamic, emotional. The rhythm section is flawless and supportive throughout. Hard to guess on a lot of the players but I really enjoyed this.

You see that this was ID'd.  Thad is SO underappreciated.  And that tenor sound, well... he can do that.  Every dude on this is royalty.

Track 2 - Ah! Harold Land. Jim, I can name that sax player in 3 notes. ;) That sound!! And it's Alone Together. Hmmm...what group is this though? Maybe Curtis Counce? Oh interesting... a medley. Whoa! That trumpet player sounds from another era. Roy Eldridge? Is this one of those "Jam Session" recordings? Oh wait, would that be Clifford Brown then? Doesn't sound like him though. Holy high notes, Batman! I love how into it the crowd is. Oh yeah... so this must be Dinah Washington singing, on Come Rain or Come Shine? This is good overall... the Land portion at the beginning is definitely my favorite part though. Washington sounds pretty fantastic on that too.

Yes!  All ID'd. 

Track 3 - Well this is off to an interesting start. What A Difference A Day Makes? I think I have that right. That *is* a soprano, right? The tone is amazing! Soooo smooth, I was questioning whether it was an alto at first. No hard edge at all. Wow. I don't think I've ever heard a soprano sound quite so beautiful. Also hard to tell if that's a bass or a cello underneath. Oh no, it does sound like a bass... he hit a low note right as I typed that. Well, I don't think I have any guesses but I love this a lot. I am floating...

Not that tune, but this IS a guy you know (but not as well as I do).  In fact, you know ALL these guys and my have the LP.  This track is on the CD only (that's a hint, folks).

Track 4 - Damn, what an intro... that left hand... the bass... wait a minute. Mal Waldron. I think I just listened to this recently. Reggie Workman on bass and Smilin' Billy on the drums. What can I say? A 10 out of 10. Who else can build a tune like this, out of so few raw elements? This performance was forged in fire. Such a simple tune, and they take it to so many different places over the course of the 13 minutes.

And that's why I love this guy.

Track 5 - Hahaha, this is the Jeff Lebowski Quintet - Live at the Bowling Alley. I can't really say too much on this one because I have inside info. But I will say that these are some BAAAAAAAD mofos!! 11 stars out of 10. In all seriousness, I loooove this tune and every one of the musicians here.

"Man, I'm not Lebowski, YOU'RE Lebowski.  I'm 'The Dude'."

Track 6 - Right from the get-go, we're dancing... ooooh, this is good. What a beautiful feeling the rhythm section has. I find the "B" section a little jarring and out of character with the rest of the tune. I'm sure that's the point but it doesn't totally work for me. Very nice flute playing. Piano solo--excellent. I feel like this is a bass player I know. Great sound and feeling. And a fantastic solo. Too short! Getting a bit of Buster Williams in there, but I don't think it's him. No guesses, but I liked this a lot.

ID'd.  This bass player would probably be honored by the comparison to BW, but really, he's a beast in his own right.

Track 7 - Boom! Boy, now we're in different territory. I love the nebulous, broken-up, and spacey feel of this groove. Oh yes!! William Parker, Mayan Space Station! With Ava Mendoza SHREDDING on guitar, and Gerald Cleaver on drums. The groove on this is SOOO deep, oh my god I love it. I couldn't wait to get this one when I saw it announced. I caught Ava Mendoza at a local show years ago, with her trio at that time. Unfortunately there were only about 4 or 5 of us in the audience but Sweet Jesus, they had to peel us off the back wall. It was a night I won't ever forget. Hearing her in this trio is even more mind-bending. Another 10 out of 10, easy.

BAM!

Track 8 - The tune is Motherless Child and I am loving this alto player out on a limb here... putting it all out there. Oh wow... is this the World Saxophone Quartet or something? This is magical. Talk about ears! Whoever this is, they're playing like they're of one mind & body. ...okay... wow. I had to stop typing for a minute while absorbing the singer & the tuba player. Hell yes, here we go. Um... this is so good I am going to just stop again now. And listen. ... So... KILLER, KILLER sax solo...two drummers... the band is ON FIRE. The bass solo is next level. WTF!? I am at a loss for words to exptess how much I love this. This has Tapscott written all over it to me, but I don't know it. I need it!!! :o

Score on Tapscott.  You KNOW that alto player.  And, you're consistent about the bass player. 

Track 9 - Aha, again! This is Mwata Bowden, 1 Foot in 1 Foot Out, with Harrison Bankhead, Avreeayl Ra, Ari Brown, and Khari B with some powerful words about "Mama Ann" Ward. Oh shoot, I've forgotten the name of the trumpet player... not a well-known name I don't think, but I presume one of the AACM guys. This album is one of my favorite recent discoveries. Bowden isn't well known outside of Chicago and that's a shame. He's one of the most formidable and generous musicians I've ever had the privilege to see perform. Another 10 out of 10, 5 star, A+ record, however you want to put it. This has everything I want from music.

So, I can now publicly thank this guy for playing Santa and laying this disc on me.

I feel a little like I cheated on this, because a couple of these you got from me, and the others... well, our tastes are obviously very similar. :D But I can't remember another BFT where I pretty much loved every tune. Great stuff man. Thanks for your efforts, will be anxiously looking forward to the reveal on the stuff that I don't know here!!

There's no cheat.  As for your reaction to this test -- that's only because you missed Felser's month.

30 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Well there it is!

And I have that record too...shame on me.

No shame, man.  Happens to all of us (sign of a good collection!).

I'm glad that guitar playering record got ID'ed. I liked that one a lot, the end of it with the air-raid siren sounds reminded me of "The Unknown Soldier". I was glad to be reminded of that in a way that didn't piss me off because it was superficial or wink-wink.

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

The Mwata Bowden sounds right up my street. Does anyone know of a download option?

I have looked but no luck, CD looks like £40 to UK is cheapest, not in stock at Squidco unfortunately

The odd thing about the Bowden is that it only seems to be available through Amazon. I was looking at other options myself, after I bought my copy... but the label (Asian Improv, Tatsu Aoki's label out of Chicago) seems to use Amazon as pretty much their sole distributor from what I can see.

I did a quick look and it does appear to be available at Amazon UK-- https://www.amazon.co.uk/FOOT-n1FOOT-OUT-Mwata-Bowden/dp/B081WPWM5F/

11 hours ago, felser said:

Ordered the Bowden off Amazon, $16, but seems like that will be well spent.  Here is a youtube link to the entire Tapscott concert, in great sound quality.  

Nice!! I am *definitely* gonna dig into this. So, no "official" release on this one then, I guess?

52 minutes ago, webbcity said:

Nice!! I am *definitely* gonna dig into this. So, no "official" release on this one then, I guess?

No official release on the Tapscott that I can find.  Count me in for a pre-order if it ever does become available on CD!

54 minutes ago, webbcity said:

The odd thing about the Bowden is that it only seems to be available through Amazon. I was looking at other options myself, after I bought my copy... but the label (Asian Improv, Tatsu Aoki's label out of Chicago) seems to use Amazon as pretty much their sole distributor from what I can see.

I did a quick look and it does appear to be available at Amazon UK-- https://www.amazon.co.uk/FOOT-n1FOOT-OUT-Mwata-Bowden/dp/B081WPWM5F/

Thanks for spotting that. I didn't check the site itself as it didn't come up in my Google search, silly me.

£22/$29 is still pretty steep but it's the import price as there is unlikely to be distribution over here.

40 minutes ago, felser said:

No official release on the Tapscott that I can find.  Count me in for a pre-order if it ever does become available on CD!

Same! Where do we sign up?? :)

35 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks for spotting that. I didn't check the site itself as it didn't come up in my Google search, silly me.

£22/$29 is still pretty steep but it's the import price as there is unlikely to be distribution over here.

That is a lot. It's too bad Asian Improv doesn't have a Bandcamp page... huge missed opportunity IMO. The quality of music on that label is very high but accessibility seems to be quite low...

13 hours ago, felser said:

Got the Bowden and gave a listen to it.  I only like 3 of the 7 cuts, but I REALLY like those three, and they run 35 minutes total, so all good.  

My initial reaction was similar, but gave the "off" cuts a harder listen.  Only one was a miss for me, but even that one was more about preference.  Mwata Bowden is the real deal, man.

Too f*ing busy to get in early, Everything's ID-ed right? but...anyway...

TRACK ONE - yeah, the pigeons. Remember when pigeons and squirrels were cute? What were we thinking? Thad, otoh, perfect significantly more often than not.

TRACK TWO - Only on Emarcy! At that time, anyway. I have to wonder what the "critical consensus" was about Dinah Washington in her time. Today, if we get an Afri8can-American Female Singer who sings in a lot of different popular contexts with different levels/types of production, there's a lot of cringing and equivocating and wishful thinking that comes, and...really? Singers can sing any damn thing they can sing. Not that the7 always do, but...Dianne Reeves, for one example (and Ledisi for another...), are always/usually approached from a distance when they venture into more "popular" areas, and, I say fuck that. If they're singing, they're singing.  Period. Anyway....I love Dinah Washington.

TRACK THREE - Ok, not identified! The opening phrase references "What A Difference A Day Made", so that transitions out of Dinah nicely. Is  Sounds like a pop song, in a good way, something that can be sung, with words. A "For Lovers" type vibe, in a meaningful way. Can't say I find it particularly compelling, but oh well. I like it.

TRACK FOUR - But of course. Some really stealth Ed Blackwell here, btw. Mal/Reggie, obviously, but listen to Blackwell keeping it full-bodied and forward-moving.Reinforcing that, actually.

TRACK FIVE - I like the writing, but the trombone player sounds like better days (years?) have been had? Tenor player plays thoughtfully, I like that. Sounds "local" in a good way, not running the impress-licks. I like it for staying inside itself.

TRACK SIX - Yeah, ok. I have that record two, ha. lot of good that does me, right? As stated earlier, the "Windows" feel kinda bugs me, once is enough, ok? I keep waiting to hear Hubert Laws. But she was an excellent player in her own right, and her record is most worthy of being remembered.

TRACK SEVEN - Yeah, I do like this. Especially the second part, especially the air raid. Actually, that's my favorite part. We have community sirens here that go off to warn of tornadoes and shit, so that's not a foreign sound to be, but it's great to hear it fleshed out like this. I like it a lot more than the first part, which, hey, Sonny Sharrock been there and done that. But the air raid, that's till fresh waters imo. Again, I like it.

TRACK EIGHT - Ok, I thought this was familiar, but not until it was ID'ed did it click. Somebody, here or elsewhere, put up a YouTube clip, or a circulating file, I don't remember what it was. No matter. That's a bit of an "all-star" band (Charles Owens played with both Buddy Rich and John Mayall!!!!), and also one with a shared history. It's the shared history that really delivers the power here, power aplenty. Kamasi Washington came of of this same environment, remember, so....community. Not gigs, not hustling to get on top of the other guy, community, no bullshit corporate endowments to shut out everything else, a solid, ongoing community of spirits and souls..

TRACK NINE - Nice to know the name, and to have it confirmed that it's AACM, that's where I was leaning, but not into the AEC. Another community. I love communities. Ari Brown, eh? Sweet! Avreeayl Ra & Harrison Bankhead are names I know (and trust!), the other names, I do not know, but sounds like I should. Leon Q. Allen? Great anme, and fine playing. I like the poem, too. "Mama Rose" from another family, and you know there are many more such people, they are not isolated in the word (although they are from the general consciousness...). Strong statements being made here.

And strong is the word I'd use for this collection. Happy to have been able to hear it, thanks for sharing this music, this way.

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Too f*ing busy to get in early, Everything's ID-ed right? but...anyway...

Not even sure.

TRACK ONE - yeah, the pigeons. Remember when pigeons and squirrels were cute? What were we thinking? Thad, otoh, perfect significantly more often than not.

Fact.

TRACK THREE - Ok, not identified! The opening phrase references "What A Difference A Day Made", so that transitions out of Dinah nicely. Is  Sounds like a pop song, in a good way, something that can be sung, with words. A "For Lovers" type vibe, in a meaningful way. Can't say I find it particularly compelling, but oh well. I like it.

You know, I felt that way about this record for years, but EVERY time I hear a cut from it, it grabs me.  MOST of you own this, but most likely the LP (which does NOT contain this song).

TRACK FOUR - But of course. Some really stealth Ed Blackwell here, btw. Mal/Reggie, obviously, but listen to Blackwell keeping it full-bodied and forward-moving.Reinforcing that, actually.

All of this.

TRACK FIVE - I like the writing, but the trombone player sounds like better days (years?) have been had? Tenor player plays thoughtfully, I like that. Sounds "local" in a good way, not running the impress-licks. I like it for staying inside itself.

Interestingly, I might argue that the 'bone player is the top musician in the group. I hear the "not running the impress-licks" here, as well. 

TRACK SIX - Yeah, ok. I have that record two, ha. lot of good that does me, right? As stated earlier, the "Windows" feel kinda bugs me, once is enough, ok? I keep waiting to hear Hubert Laws. But she was an excellent player in her own right, and her record is most worthy of being remembered.

Agreed.  Tragically early end to her story.

TRACK SEVEN - Yeah, I do like this. Especially the second part, especially the air raid. Actually, that's my favorite part. We have community sirens here that go off to warn of tornadoes and shit, so that's not a foreign sound to be, but it's great to hear it fleshed out like this. I like it a lot more than the first part, which, hey, Sonny Sharrock been there and done that. But the air raid, that's till fresh waters imo. Again, I like it.

I knew all you needed was a little time.

TRACK EIGHT - Ok, I thought this was familiar, but not until it was ID'ed did it click. Somebody, here or elsewhere, put up a YouTube clip, or a circulating file, I don't remember what it was. No matter. That's a bit of an "all-star" band (Charles Owens played with both Buddy Rich and John Mayall!!!!), and also one with a shared history. It's the shared history that really delivers the power here, power aplenty. Kamasi Washington came of of this same environment, remember, so....community. Not gigs, not hustling to get on top of the other guy, community, no bullshit corporate endowments to shut out everything else, a solid, ongoing community of spirits and souls..

Amen.

TRACK NINE - Nice to know the name, and to have it confirmed that it's AACM, that's where I was leaning, but not into the AEC. Another community. I love communities. Ari Brown, eh? Sweet! Avreeayl Ra & Harrison Bankhead are names I know (and trust!), the other names, I do not know, but sounds like I should. Leon Q. Allen? Great anme, and fine playing. I like the poem, too. "Mama Rose" from another family, and you know there are many more such people, they are not isolated in the word (although they are from the general consciousness...). Strong statements being made here.

And strong is the word I'd use for this collection. Happy to have been able to hear it, thanks for sharing this music, this way.

Thanks for your insights, as usual, sir!

On 3/12/2022 at 9:40 AM, tkeith said:

My initial reaction was similar, but gave the "off" cuts a harder listen.  Only one was a miss for me, but even that one was more about preference.  Mwata Bowden is the real deal, man.

21 hours ago, felser said:

I don't question that at all!  Will be glad to relisten.  Thanks for introducing my ears to his music!

21 hours ago, tkeith said:

Redirecting that thanks to webbcity

Cheers! First time I heard Bowden was with Douglas Ewart's group at Chicago's famous Velvet Lounge (R.I.P.) in the early 2000s. That was a mind-blowing and ear-opening show. The second time was with the AACM Great Black Music Ensemble at the Chicago Jazz Fest. Bowden was magnificent and had a way about him on stage that was impressive to say the least. He led the group with a combination of youthful vigor and ancient wisdom, and successfully communicated what could be considered "difficult music" to the large and enthusiastic audience, in an accessible way, while still pulling no punches. It made a big impression on me.

As I think I mentioned earlier, it's hard to find a lot of Bowden on recordings, apart from Ed Wilkerson's 8 Bold Solds or Shadow Vignettes. But this disc comes closest to the energy I've seen from him in a live setting.

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

18 hours ago, tkeith said:

All of this.

Except that's it Billy Higgins... ;)

Slight sidetrack, just saw the news about Bill (been offline much of the past few days).  If you hadn't seen, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Bill passed away Thursday. 

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/kansas-city-mo/william-debauche-10618024/amp?fbclid=IwAR1jTdCCHEucgYObnaTKnU3E0ioIXDwASRMvRweWmSCXE1lIk3pa8SGVg60