• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Slight sidetrack, just saw the news about Bill (been offline much of the past few days).  If you hadn't seen, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Bill passed away Thursday. 

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/kansas-city-mo/william-debauche-10618024/amp?fbclid=IwAR1jTdCCHEucgYObnaTKnU3E0ioIXDwASRMvRweWmSCXE1lIk3pa8SGVg60

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. I still remember a nice discussion I had with him years ago on this forum (which I think I shared with you Thom), just around music and the Blindfold Tests. He was so enthusiastic about music and seemed like such a kind person.

2 hours ago, tkeith said:

Slight sidetrack, just saw the news about Bill (been offline much of the past few days).  If you hadn't seen, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Bill passed away Thursday. 

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/kansas-city-mo/william-debauche-10618024/amp?fbclid=IwAR1jTdCCHEucgYObnaTKnU3E0ioIXDwASRMvRweWmSCXE1lIk3pa8SGVg60

Oh no!  So sorry to hear this - great guy.

Going to try to tidy up what's gone on here to see if we can jumpstart this puppy.  Been a helluva month.  For those who don't know, we lost a second BFT presenter, Dennis Gonzalez, this week.  A truly incredible person.

Okay, here's what's been ID'd and I've tried to give credit; with apologies if I've errantly assigned the credit for first correct ID.  

Track 1 - ID'd by Jim, BillF
Track 2 - ID'd by Ken Dryden
Track 4 - Mal ID'd by Jim, Felser
Track 6 - ID'd by Randy Hersom
Track 7 - ID'd by webbcity
Track 8 - band ID'd by Dub Modal; full ID by Felser
Track 9 - ID'd by webbcity (and, to be fair, he gave me this for Xmas!)

So, we are left at 3 and 5 unidentified.  Three is an album I'd bet over half of us have in our collection, but this cut is from the CD (bonus track).  The recording sound is a huge clue to what this is.  Once one player is ID'd, the whole band will fall into place.  Track 5 is damned near impossible if you are not on the inside of this particular scoop, so definitely a local/regional kind of thing.

I have, through using available technology. Once I did, that, though, I wondered about what song that was, because it sounded very much "contemporary" (in terms of that time). I was more than a little surprised to find out that it was a Patti Austin original!

Since I "cheated", though, I will not reveal the name of the band/leader/album title.

I would be interested in finding out how that song engaged the leader to record it. One would not associate him with looking for CTI records to pick a cover tune, but then again, a lot of musicians (myself included) relish a good singer singing a good song, and this is certainly that. I've come to learn that Patti Austin is kind of a "musician's singer", actually!

As an aside, let me say that one can get lost in India without having access to some good navigation skill.

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I have, through using available technology. Once I did, that, though, I wondered about what song that was, because it sounded very much "contemporary" (in terms of that time). I was more than a little surprised to find out that it was a Patti Austin original!

Since I "cheated", though, I will not reveal the name of the band/leader/album title.

I would be interested in finding out how that song engaged the leader to record it. One would not associate him with looking for CTI records to pick a cover tune, but then again, a lot of musicians (myself included) relish a good singer singing a good song, and this is certainly that. I've come to learn that Patti Austin is kind of a "musician's singer", actually!

As an aside, let me say that one can get lost in India without having access to some good navigation skill.

Eddie Gale once told me, "as horn players, we need to look for nice melodies."  He was reacting to some adult contemporary in a breakfast restaurant (could have been Celine Dion or some such).  I thought he was joking when he said, "this is a pretty song."  #LifeLessons

On 3/19/2022 at 11:28 AM, tkeith said:

Track 7 - ID'd by webbcity
Track 9 - ID'd by webbcity (and, to be fair, he gave me this for Xmas!)

And to be extra fair, I gave you track 7 too! So... if I hadn't ID'd both of those, a public shaming would have been in order! :D

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

Given these hints, I also sleuthed out the answer, which I'd never have guessed. Likewise decline to reveal band/leader/album.

Edited by T.D.

35 minutes ago, webbcity said:

Ahhh! I have that CD!! :o:wacko::( Well that's embarrassing. I guess I know what I need to listen to more of...

Same here! 

2 hours ago, tkeith said:

Ding! Ding!  Told you it was in your spirit and you were over sensitive.  ;)

LOL!

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

How many Patti Austin records y'all got?

Me, I got none, at least that I know of.

None, but when sleuthing #3 I looked through her credits on allmusic. Was surprised by the diversity of recordings on which she sang backup, and I do own several of those. Biggest surprise was Daniel Lentz's Missa Umbrarum (old New Albion recording).

Edited by T.D.