• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Have to scroll way down to 1979. Warning: allmusic is flaky on Chrome, may have to use other browsers.

I pay them their $12/year "membership fee" to cut out the adds, and it's well worth it if you are a frequent visitor.

Joining in again - since I listen to BFTs onnly on my desktop computer it depends on when I do sit before it and have the time without getting distracted. I did not lokk at any comments.

Track 5  - Nice theme, sounds like some 1970's black group. I like the trombonist, but cannot follw the logic of the saxist or drummer, they seem to play phrases just as they come into their minds without much sense of form.

Track 6 - Very interesting track.. I want to know who this is. Never like the bass direct sound, but they listen to each other and know what they wanna say. 

Track 7 - I should know that guitsr player. Drummer sounds like he's not totally at ease with that groove - there are more elegant and varied ways to play that rhythm.His snare sound is obtrusive, and he drags a bit. But he tries hard to give his best. Guitarist is more assured rhythmically, Now here's your impression of big city life! Would like to hear other tracks of this band.

Track 9 - Arthur Blythe? Alto sax has theat preaching sound. Tuba! That should be a Blythe band. Okay, the gospel melody implied is stated by the vocalist. This has a story to tell. That's convincing! I hear you, brother! That's a band I'd take my wife to hear. My favourite so far. Yeah!

Track 10 - Theme has an almost South African feel. No idea who this is. Makes me ciurious. 

Except for track 1 and perhaps 4, all was new to me - thanks for compiling! Now off to the others' guesses.

On 6.3.2022 at 10:27 PM, JSngry said:

Well there it is!

And I have that record too...shame on me.

same here

12 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Joining in again - since I listen to BFTs onnly on my desktop computer it depends on when I do sit before it and have the time without getting distracted. I did not lokk at any comments.

Track 5  - Nice theme, sounds like some 1970's black group. I like the trombonist, but cannot follw the logic of the saxist or drummer, they seem to play phrases just as they come into their minds without much sense of form.

I'm sure this group would take that as high praise (1970s black group).  I like the bone player as well and agree on the tenor, less so on the drummer. 

Track 6 - Very interesting track.. I want to know who this is. Never like the bass direct sound, but they listen to each other and know what they wanna say. 

Agree on the direct bass (track 5 has it, as well).

Track 7 - I should know that guitsr player. Drummer sounds like he's not totally at ease with that groove - there are more elegant and varied ways to play that rhythm.His snare sound is obtrusive, and he drags a bit. But he tries hard to give his best. Guitarist is more assured rhythmically, Now here's your impression of big city life! Would like to hear other tracks of this band.

I think you would.

Track 9 - Arthur Blythe? Alto sax has theat preaching sound. Tuba! That should be a Blythe band. Okay, the gospel melody implied is stated by the vocalist. This has a story to tell. That's convincing! I hear you, brother! That's a band I'd take my wife to hear. My favourite so far. Yeah!

Threw me for a loop here with your track numbering (need more coffee).  Very much AB, but not an AB band.

Track 10 - Theme has an almost South African feel. No idea who this is. Makes me ciurious. 

This is a worthwhile album.