Dick Hyman 95th Birthday Salute

I've got them but opted for acoustic piano, except for a couple of theatre organ pieces.

I've got a lot of LPs that haven't been reissued on CD that I would have to digitize in order to share them on air. Maybe I'll acquire a second turntable for that purpose, because making CDRs for broadcast from LPs is a bit time-consuming and wasteful.

In the mid-1990s, Ms. TTK interviewed Dick Hyman for NPR.  It was a pretty balanced piece, in terms of jazz, Woody Allen, and session work. At one point, she brought up the Moog albums and shared that these LPs had found a new audience. He kind of laughed it off in the interview, and they moved onto the next topic. By the late 1990s, the space-age-bachelor-pad thing was in full swing, and Hyman fully embraced those albums at that time. Ms. TTK was a few years ahead of the curve. We digitized the interview, and I must have it here someplace. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I think I did my first phone interview around 1990, but I am unsure if I dubbed it to cassette before editing portions into my show. I finally realized it was better to save an unedited master for myself. I told Dick Hyman about some CD reissues of things he had recorded under a pseudonym and he bought copies for his library.

To give you an idea of my Dick Hyman collection:

CDs. including various artists, compilations & billed as co-leader

Dave Brubeck/Roland Hanna/Dick Hyman  Jazz Sonatas           Angel 
Dick Hyman/Derek Smith/Ralph Sutton: The Piano Giants at Bob Haggart's   80th Birthday Party               Arbors 
Bix Beiderbecke Centennial All Stars   Celebrating Bix!              Arbors
Dick Hyman: Genius at Play/Lou Levy: Solo                         Audiophile
Dick Hyman/Ralph Sutton/Jay McShann/Mike Lipskin/Harry Sweets Edison
    Stride Piano Summit                Milestone
Dick Hyman/Urbie Green/Milt Hinton/Butch Miles/Derek Smith/Buddy Tate/ 
 Warren Vache/Joe Wilder:  The Kingdom of Swing & The Republic of Oop Bop Sh'Bam     
   Jazz In July Live at the 92nd St. Y          MusicMasters 
Dick Hyman/Roger Kellaway/Jay McShann/Marian McPartland/Derek Smith/
  Ralph Sutton/Dick Wellstood:  Piano Players & Significant Others
        MusicMasters

Evan Christopher/Dick Hyman     Delta Bound                   Arbors
Meral Guneyman & Dick Hyman    Playful Virtuosity           Rykodisc

Dick Hyman & Ruby Braff   Play Nice Tunes                                               Arbors 
Dick Hyman Trio       Cheek To Cheek                                                          Arbors 
Dick Hyman & John Sheridan      Forgotten Dreams                                    Arbors 
Ruby Braff & Dick Hyman      America, the Beautiful                                  Arbors 
Dick Hyman & Tom Pletcher   If Bix Played Gershwin                                Arbors 
Dick Hyman & Randy Sandke    Now & Again                                            Arbors 
Dick Hyman      Dick Hyman's Century of Jazz Piano                                   Arbors 
Dick Hyman      House of Pianos                                  Arbors 
Dick Hyman          Solo at the Sacramento Jazz Festivals 1983-1988           Arbors 
Dick Hyman & Ken Peplowski    Counterpoint: Lerner & Loewe                 Arbors 
Maxine Sullivan/Dick Hyman  Sullivan Shakespeare Hyman                     Audiophile 
Dick Hyman & The Group   The Soulful “Mirrors” Sound!/Sweet Sweet Soul
                                                 Blue Moon 
Hyman/Braff          Music From My Fair Lady                                              Concord 
Hyman/Braff          Music From South Pacific                                               Concord 
Hyman, Dick          Music of 1937  (Maybeck)                                              Concord 
Dick Hyman & Ralph Sutton    At Maybeck                                                  Concord 
Hyman/Kurtis         Runnin' Ragged                                                                Fanfare 
Dick Hyman           A Waltz Dressed in Blue                                             Four Star
Dick Hyman & Niels Pedersen   Elegies, Mostly                                                Gemini 
Ruby Braff/Dick Hyman     Fireworks-The New School Concert 183        Inner City 
Dick Hyman/Derek Smith     They Got Rhythm!                                                 xJass
Dick Hyman & Louis Mazetier  Barrel of Keys*                               Jazz Connaisseur 
Dick Hyman   There Will Never Be Another You*                          Jazz Connaisseur
Dick Hyman  Dick Hyman Plays Variations on Richard Rodgers (Rodgers & Hart) 
                                                                                               Jazz Heritage Society 
Dick Hyman  Dick Hyman Plays Variations on Richard Rodgers 
             (Rodgers & Hammerstein)                                        Jazz Heritage Society 
Dick Hyman & Roger Kellaway     Live At Michael's Pub                         JazzMania 
Dick Hyman    An Evening at the Cookery June 17, 1973                                   JRB 
Dick Hyman/Judy Hyman     Late Late Summer                                                  Left Ear
Hyman, Dick   Live From Toronto's Cafe Des Copains                          Music & Arts
Hyman, Dick   Cincinnati Fats                                                      Musical Heritage 
Hyman, Dick   At Chung's Chinese Restaurant                            Musical Heritage 
Hyman, Dick   Face the Music                                                     Musical Heritage 
Hyman/Braff   Manhattan Jazz                                                           MusicMasters 
Hyman, Dick   Plays Harold Arlen                                         MusicMasters 
Hyman, Dick   All Through The Night                                     MusicMasters 
Hyman, Dick   The Gershwin Songbook:  Jazz Variations                 MusicMasters       
Dick Hyman     Gulf Coast Blues                                Omega 
Dick Hyman/Mary Mayo     Moon Gas/Moog: The Electric Eclectics of Dick Hyman                 Omni 
Dick Hyman     September Song: Dick Hyman Plays the Music of Kurt Weill                   Proscenium 
Dick Hyman    Noel Coward-Mad About the Boy: Dick Hyman Plays the 
                          Music of Noel Coward                          Proseenium  
Dick Hyman   Autumn in New York-Dick Hyman Plays the Music of Vernon Duke    Proseenium 
Dick Hyman    Scott Joplin: Piano Works 1889-1904         RCA Victor                                    
Hyman, Dick   Plays Fats Waller                                   Reference
Hyman, Dick   Plays Duke Ellington                          Reference 
Hyman, Dick   From The Age Of Swing                                            Reference  
Dick Hyman     Swing Is Here                                                     Reference 
Dick Hyman      In Recital                                                              Reference 
Dick Hyman     Thinking About Bix                                      Reference 
Dick Hyman/Ralph Sutton    Just You Just Me                                             Sackville 
Dick Hyman & Dick Wellstood           Stridemonster!                               Sackville 
Dick Hyman      In Concert at the Old Mill Inn                                             Sackville 
Dick Hyman      Knuckles O'Toole  Greatest Ragtime Hits &
   Bridey O'Toole & the Boys in the Back Room                                  Siggnal Sounds 
Dick Hyman     Willie the Rock Knox/Slugger Ryan                           Siggnal Sounds 
Dick Hyman     Music From the Motion Picture Bullets Over Broadway   
                                                                                                           Sony Classical 
Dick Hyman     Sweet And Lowdown (Music From...)                    Sony Classical 
Dick Hyman          Jelly & James                                                Sony Masterworks 
Dick Hyman    Moog The Electric Eclectics Of Dick Hyman         Varese Sarabande 
Dick Hyman Trio     You're My Everything: The Music of Harry Warren        Venus 
Dick Hyman & Ray Kennedy  What is There to Say?*                                  Victoria 
Dick Hyman & Chris Hopkins     Teddy Wilson in Four Hands                    Victoria  
Dick Hyman & Shelly Berg          Meeting of Minds                                     Victoria 
Dick Hyman & Ken Peplowski     E Pluribus Duo                                        Victoria 
Dick Hyman & Ken Peplowski     …Live at the Kitano                        Victoria 
Roger Kellaway/Dick Hyman  Two Pianos: Roger Kellaway & Dick Hyman 
                                 at the Jazz Bakery                                                     Jazz Bakery
Heather Masse & Dick Hyman       Lock My Heart                                     Red House 
Marian McPartland’s Piano Jazz with Dick Hyman      The Jazz Alliance
Bucky Pizzarelli/Dick Hyman/Jay Leonhart   Lost Songs of 1936                Victoria
Molly Ryan w/ Dick Hyman       Let's Fly Away                                    Loup-garous
Bob Wilber & Dick Hyman     A Perfect Match       Arbors
Bob Wilber/Dick Hyman   Kenny Davern Tribute/Bob Wilber's 80th Birthday Salute
                                                    Sidney Bechet Society

LPs:

LPs:
Clark Terry/Harry Edison/Kai Winding/Urbie Green/Zoot Sims/Budd
 Johnson/Flip Phillips/Dick Hyman/James Moody:  Colorado Jazz Party   BASF                                                                                                               Hyman/Hanna/McPartland/Jones   The Jazz Piano Quartet: Let It Happen     RCA      

Dick Hyman & the New York Jazz Repertory Company   Satchmo Remembered
 The Music of Louis Armstrong at Carnegie Hall                                       Atlantic 
Dick Hyman   Dick Hyman Plays the Keyboard Classics of the Nostalgia Years     Cadence 
Dick Hyman/Ruby Braff     Fats Waller's Heavenly Jive                        x Chiaroscuro 
Dick Hyman       Themes & Variations on A Child is Born                    x Chiaroscuro 
Dick Hyman    Charleston: The Songs That Made The Twenties Roar  x Columbia 
Dick Hyman                      Provocative Piano                                           x Command 
Dick Hyman & His Orchestra      Provocative Piano Vol. 2                      x Command 
Dick Hyman                                 And His Trio                                        x Command 
Dick Hyman                                 Fabulous                                   x Command 
Dick Hyman                                 Brasilian Impresssions                         x Command 
Dick Hyman                                 A Zillion Strings                                     x Everest 
Dick Hyman/Ruby Braff       Fireworks-The New School Concert 1983*  Inner City 
Dick Hyman/Derek Smith            At Van Wezel Hall                     Jazz Club Sarasota 
Dick Hyman                 Scott Joplin (Soundtrack)                                           x MCA 
Dick Hyman Trio         The Dick Hyman Trio Swings                                   x MGM 
Dick Hyman             The Unforgettable Sound of the Dick Hyman Trio      x MGM 
Dick Hyman                        Beside a Shady Nook                                         x MGM 
Dick Hyman                 Red Sails in the Sunset                   x MGM \
Dick Hyman-Leonard Feather Orchestra       Hi-Fi Suite                               x MGM 
Dick Hyman              60 Great All Time Songs Vol. 5                                    x MGM 
Dick Hyman Trio       Plays Lerner & Lowe's Score From Gigi                     x MGM 
Dick Hyman                                    Oh Captain!                                           x MGM 
Dick Hyman              Swings Music From Whoop-Up                                 x MGM 
Dick Hyman Trio                            After Six                                       x MGM 3827
Dick Hyman                              Genius At Play                  x Monmouth-Evergreen  
Dick Hyman/Max Morath/Danny Barker/Clifford Jackson
                                   Don't Give The Name A Bad Place                       x New World 
Dick Hyman                       Piano Solo                                       x Project 3 
Dick Hyman               Plays Ragtime, Stomps & Stride                            x Project 3 
Dick Hyman               Scott Joplin-The Works For Piano                             x RCA 
Dick Hyman               Kitten on the Keys: The Music of Zez Confrey            x RCA 
Dick Hyman               Scott Joplin-16 Classic Rags                                         x RCA 
Dick Hyman Ensemble      Music of Jelly Roll Morton                     x Smithsonian 
Dick Hyman               Gulf Coast Blues                                                      Stomp Off 
Dick Hyman & the Perfect Jazz (Repertory) Quintet  Say It With Music     World Jazz   

Dick Wellstood & Dick Hyman       I Wish I Were Twins                      x Swingtime

That doesn't count his sideman appearances not billed on the covers...

11 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Did you play anything from his masterpiece Moon Gas (MGM) or any of his Command/Project 3 Moog tracks?  

Dude, that is SICK!!!!! Who's the drummer?

I had head about those records but was thinking, ok, Dick Hyman, moogs,whatever, but THAT shit is poppin!!!!!

In his first appearance on Marian McPartland’s Piano Jazz, Hyman described how he decided to push two buttons together on the keyboard, creating a bossa nova waltz on one of his Moog albums. Maybe I need to upload that broadcast.

Edited by Ken Dryden

13 hours ago, dprfish said:

Thanks! The implications of that resume imply a world of experience. Percussionists are often way ahead of everybody else's curved, at least in my experience!